Internet Explorer 7

Jodi C.

Internet Explorer 7
IE7 works fine but part of the screen is overlayed with the IE notification
"could not connect to site, etc." Does not occur on all sites but appears
on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall IE so that I can do a
clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling IE7, still same problem.
So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta, still same problem. I
uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but problem not corrected.

Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct problem?

Thanks.
Kayman

Re: Internet Explorer 7
On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:00 -0700, Jodi C. wrote:

> IE7 works fine but part of the screen is overlayed with the IE notification
> "could not connect to site, etc." Does not occur on all sites but appears
> on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall IE so that I can do a
> clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling IE7, still same problem.
> So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta, still same problem. I
> uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but problem not corrected.
>
> Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct problem?

Try this first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"

Not successful?
To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

If you upgraded to IE 7 /BEFORE/ you applied SP 3, you'll have to
uninstall SP 3 first.

Read this before installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

IE8 is still a beta version, don't install until final release!

Re: Internet Explorer 7
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jodi C. wrote:
> IE7 works fine but part of the screen is overlayed with the IE
> notification
> "could not connect to site, etc." Does not occur on all sites but
> appears
> on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall IE so that I can do a
> clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling IE7, still same
> problem. So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta, still same problem.
> I uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but problem not corrected.
>
> Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct
> problem?
>
> Thanks.

Jodi C.

Re: Internet Explorer 7
Thanks for responses and I will work my way through them.

However, for some reason in my Add/Remover application, I do not get the
option to remove Internet Explorer 7 so cannot uninstall it via that method.
Is there another method to uninstall IE 7?

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 20:26:04 -0700, Jodi C. wrote:

> Thanks for responses and I will work my way through them.
>
> However, for some reason in my Add/Remover application, I do not get the
> option to remove Internet Explorer 7 so cannot uninstall it via that method.
> Is there another method to uninstall IE 7?
>
> "Kayman" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:00 -0700, Jodi C. wrote:
>>
>>> IE7 works fine but part of the screen is overlayed with the IE notification
>>> "could not connect to site, etc." Does not occur on all sites but appears
>>> on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall IE so that I can do a
>>> clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling IE7, still same problem.
>>> So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta, still same problem. I
>>> uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but problem not corrected.
>>>
>>> Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct problem?

In Vista, You can't.
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer 7
"Jodi C." <Jodi C.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A75568A-5ADD-48BA-BA84-0DEC820F8DBA@microsoft.com...
> IE7 works fine but

> part of the screen is overlayed with the IE notification
> "could not connect to site, etc."

That can be caused by blocking ads or by a deficient DNS.
It's unlikely to be symptomatic of a problem caused by IE itself.

> Does not occur on all sites but appears
> on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall IE so that I can do a
> clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling IE7, still same problem.

Wrong diagnosis gives wrong cure provides no cure. ; )

> So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta, still same problem. I
> uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but problem not corrected.

Ditto.

> Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct problem?

You should be able to get some details about the missing components.
E.g. try using right-click, Properties and capture the Address (URL)
field. Tip: doubleclick on a word in it then press Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c
to make sure you capture the whole thing.

Paste them somewhere for analysis and decide if the host is one
you would want to be downloading from. If not, you're done.
Otherwise you may be able to open such URLs separately and then
be able to describe you problem symptoms more concretely.

> Thanks.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

> Thanks for responses and I will work my way through them.
>
> However, for some reason in my Add/Remover application, I do not get the
> option to remove Internet Explorer 7 so cannot uninstall it via that
> method.
> Is there another method to uninstall IE 7?
>
> "Kayman" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:00 -0700, Jodi C. wrote:
>>
>> > IE7 works fine but part of the screen is overlayed with the IE
>> > notification
>> > "could not connect to site, etc." Does not occur on all sites but
>> > appears
>> > on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall IE so that I can
>> > do a
>> > clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling IE7, still same
>> > problem.
>> > So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta, still same problem. I
>> > uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but problem not corrected.
>> >
>> > Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct
>> > problem?
>> >

>> Try this first:
>> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> Read: "What you must know"
>>
>> Not successful?
>> To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:
>>
>> Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
>> IE7 and uninstall it.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>> ....and...
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> If you upgraded to IE 7 /BEFORE/ you applied SP 3, you'll have to
>> uninstall SP 3 first.
>>
>> Read this before installing IE7:
>> Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>>
>> Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!
>>
>> Use this link instead:
>> Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>>
>> Save the program to your desktop then install.
>>
>> Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install
>> pertinent
>> updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.
>>
>> IE8 is still a beta version, don't install until final release!

If you're using WinXP did you install SP3 after IE7? If so, you'll have to
uninstall that before you van uninstall IE7.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: Internet Explorer 7
This suggests you're running WinXP SP3 so see

Jodi C. wrote:
> Thanks for responses and I will work my way through them.
>
> However, for some reason in my Add/Remover application, I do not get the
> option to remove Internet Explorer 7 so cannot uninstall it via that
> method.
> Is there another method to uninstall IE 7?
>
> "Kayman" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 16:36:00 -0700, Jodi C. wrote:
>>
>>> IE7 works fine but part of the screen is overlayed with the IE
>>> notification "could not connect to site, etc." Does not occur on all
>>> sites but appears on most. Does not appear to be any way to uninstall
>>> IE
>>> so that I can do a clean reinstall. Tried downloading and reinstalling
>>> IE7, still same problem. So tried downloading and installing IE8 Beta,
>>> still same problem. I uninstalled IE8 Beta and IE7 was installed but
>>> problem not corrected.
>>>
>>> Anyway to uninstall IE7? ....or any suggestions as to how to correct
>>> problem?
>>>

>> Try this first:
>> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
>> Read: "What you must know"
>>
>> Not successful?
>> To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:
>>
>> Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
>> IE7 and uninstall it.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>> ....and...
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> If you upgraded to IE 7 /BEFORE/ you applied SP 3, you'll have to
>> uninstall SP 3 first.
>>
>> Read this before installing IE7:
>> Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>>
>> Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!
>>
>> Use this link instead:
>> Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>>
>> Save the program to your desktop then install.
>>
>> Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install
>> pertinent
>> updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.
>>
>> IE8 is still a beta version, don't install until final release!

thecreator

Re: Internet Explorer 7
Hi Jodi C.,

That's because you aren't looking for Internet Explorer 7 to uninstall.

You need to look for Windows Internet Explorer 7 and not plain Internet
Explorer 7.

If you download Windows Internet Explorer 7, and run its Installation
Utility, you should be given a chance to repair or remove it.

--
thecreator