Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Cannot access HTTPS government sites in IE

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-28-2008
Dane
 

Posts: n/a
Cannot access HTTPS government sites in IE
I am not able to connect to serveral government web sites when i use the
https protocol using ie7 (also tried ie8) on windows xp sp2. The specific
page i am trying to connect to is https://acpol.army.mil, however I also
tried https://www.cia.gov. I am able to connect to these websites using
firefox. I am also able to connect to these sites using http rather than
https. I have tried accessing them with no-addons with no luck as well. Any
help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access HTTPS government sites in IE
Related thread from a few months ago:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0c847fa8981475

What happens when you try to connect to the sites? Post any error messages
you're getting (e.g., "invalid certificate").

In the meantime, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update
is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

NB: Please do NOT install WinXP SP3 at this time!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dane wrote:
> I am not able to connect to serveral government web sites when i use the
> https protocol using ie7 (also tried ie8) on windows xp sp2. The specific
> page i am trying to connect to is https://acpol.army.mil, however I also
> tried https://www.cia.gov. I am able to connect to these websites using
> firefox. I am also able to connect to these sites using http rather than
> https. I have tried accessing them with no-addons with no luck as well.
> Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2008
Dane
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access HTTPS government sites in IE
Right now i am not able to get into that office, however all of the updates
minus xpsp3 are done. I can also reproduce the problem on the vista computer
in my office using IE7 with all updates (as of today) and sp1. The error
message is:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

Also if i did not mention both computers are on the same active directory
network.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Related thread from a few months ago:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0c847fa8981475
>
> What happens when you try to connect to the sites? Post any error messages
> you're getting (e.g., "invalid certificate").
>
> In the meantime, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
> Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update
> is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
> advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>
> NB: Please do NOT install WinXP SP3 at this time!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Dane wrote:
> > I am not able to connect to serveral government web sites when i use the
> > https protocol using ie7 (also tried ie8) on windows xp sp2. The specific
> > page i am trying to connect to is https://acpol.army.mil, however I also
> > tried https://www.cia.gov. I am able to connect to these websites using
> > firefox. I am also able to connect to these sites using http rather than
> > https. I have tried accessing them with no-addons with no luck as well.
> > Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-29-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Cannot access HTTPS government sites in IE
> Right now i am not able to get into that office, however all of the
> updates
> minus xpsp3 are done


When you're able to access the machine, please do what I suggested.

> Also if i did not mention both computers are on the same active directory
> network.


You did not mention it earlier: Can other computers on the same network
access the websites?

Is there a firewall or GPO involved?

More:

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dane wrote:
> Right now i am not able to get into that office, however all of the
> updates
> minus xpsp3 are done. I can also reproduce the problem on the vista
> computer in my office using IE7 with all updates (as of today) and sp1.
> The error message is:
>
> Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
> Most likely causes:
> You are not connected to the Internet.
> The website is encountering problems.
> There might be a typing error in the address.
>
> Also if i did not mention both computers are on the same active directory
> network.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Related thread from a few months ago:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0c847fa8981475
>>
>> What happens when you try to connect to the sites? Post any error
>> messages
>> you're getting (e.g., "invalid certificate").
>>
>> In the meantime, go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
>> Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates
>> update
>> is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it to take full
>> advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>>
>> NB: Please do NOT install WinXP SP3 at this time!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Dane wrote:
>>> I am not able to connect to serveral government web sites when i use the
>>> https protocol using ie7 (also tried ie8) on windows xp sp2. The
>>> specific
>>> page i am trying to connect to is https://acpol.army.mil, however I also
>>> tried https://www.cia.gov. I am able to connect to these websites using
>>> firefox. I am also able to connect to these sites using http rather
>>> than
>>> https. I have tried accessing them with no-addons with no luck as well.
>>> Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why can't I connect to sites with http instead of https? Russell microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 09-12-2008 15:39
Thai Government To Close 400 Anti-government Sites Steve General Technology News 0 09-03-2008 19:00
Thai Government To Close 400 Anti-government Sites Steve General Technology News 0 09-03-2008 17:10
Thai Government To Close 400 Anti-government Sites Steve General Technology News 0 09-03-2008 15:10
Re: I can only see secure sites, https, on IE7 GangGreen microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 3 08-25-2008 17:25




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:35.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120