IE7 started hanging recently in Vista

Michael Kraft

IE7 started hanging recently in Vista
My father wrote to me, telling me that Internet Explorer 7 on his HP laptop
running Vista SP1 has started periodically hanging sometime last week. He
needs to kill IE in the task manager. After he restarts it, it works fine.

The only changes to his system have been:
1. The October security updates from Microsoft
2. Upgraded from Flash 9 to Flash 10.

I tried to search to see if either of those have caused Internet Explorer to
stop responding, but could not find any indication that they did.

Are there any known issues with either the October updates or Flash 10 that
would cause Internet Explorer 7 to periodically hang (once or twice a day)?

Re: IE7 started hanging recently in Vista
Michael Kraft wrote:
> My father wrote to me, telling me that Internet Explorer 7 on his HP
> laptop
> running Vista SP1 has started periodically hanging sometime last week. He
> needs to kill IE in the task manager. After he restarts it, it works
> fine.
>
> The only changes to his system have been:
> 1. The October security updates from Microsoft
> 2. Upgraded from Flash 9 to Flash 10.
>
> I tried to search to see if either of those have caused Internet Explorer
> stop responding, but could not find any indication that they did.
>
> Are there any known issues with either the October updates or Flash 10
> that
> would cause Internet Explorer 7 to periodically hang (once or twice a
> day)?

Not that I'm aware of, no (at least as far as any recently released Windows
Updates are concerned).
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Michael Kraft

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Michael Kraft wrote:
> > My father wrote to me, telling me that Internet Explorer 7 on his HP
> > laptop
> > running Vista SP1 has started periodically hanging sometime last week. He
> > needs to kill IE in the task manager. After he restarts it, it works
> > fine.
> >
> > The only changes to his system have been:
> > 1. The October security updates from Microsoft
> > 2. Upgraded from Flash 9 to Flash 10.
> >
> > I tried to search to see if either of those have caused Internet Explorer
> > stop responding, but could not find any indication that they did.
> >
> > Are there any known issues with either the October updates or Flash 10
> > that
> > would cause Internet Explorer 7 to periodically hang (once or twice a
> > day)?

> Not that I'm aware of, no (at least as far as any recently released Windows
> Updates are concerned).
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Okay. I had posted a message in the Adobe forums and got a response back
that there have been unsubstantiated reports of Flash 10 causing hangs, but
nothing that has been duplicated.

I guess I'm going to have to try and diagnose my father's system the next
time I see him. Unfortunately the problem is that while the hangs are
periodic, they aren't frequently (maybe one a day).

Michael Kraft wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Michael Kraft wrote:
>>> My father wrote to me, telling me that Internet Explorer 7 on his HP
>>> laptop
>>> running Vista SP1 has started periodically hanging sometime last week.
>>> He
>>> needs to kill IE in the task manager. After he restarts it, it works
>>> fine.
>>>
>>> The only changes to his system have been:
>>> 1. The October security updates from Microsoft
>>> 2. Upgraded from Flash 9 to Flash 10.
>>>
>>> I tried to search to see if either of those have caused Internet
>>> Explorer
>>> stop responding, but could not find any indication that they did.
>>>
>>> Are there any known issues with either the October updates or Flash 10
>>> that
>>> would cause Internet Explorer 7 to periodically hang (once or twice a
>>> day)?

>> Not that I'm aware of, no (at least as far as any recently released
>> Windows
>> Updates are concerned).
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>

> Okay. I had posted a message in the Adobe forums and got a response back
> that there have been unsubstantiated reports of Flash 10 causing hangs,
> but
> nothing that has been duplicated.
>
> I guess I'm going to have to try and diagnose my father's system the next
> time I see him. Unfortunately the problem is that while the hangs are
> periodic, they aren't frequently (maybe one a day).

Flash 10 is not compatible with many Flash-dependent websites and content.

JASmith

RE: IE7 started hanging recently in Vista
IE also hangs about once an hour. Using control-alt-delete brings up task
manager with no good decisions. How can this be corredted?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Michael Kraft wrote:

> >> Not that I'm aware of, no (at least as far as any recently released
> >> Windows
> >> Updates are concerned).
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >>

> > Okay. I had posted a message in the Adobe forums and got a response back
> > that there have been unsubstantiated reports of Flash 10 causing hangs,
> > but
> > nothing that has been duplicated.
> >
> > I guess I'm going to have to try and diagnose my father's system the next
> > time I see him. Unfortunately the problem is that while the hangs are
> > periodic, they aren't frequently (maybe one a day).

> Flash 10 is not compatible with many Flash-dependent websites and content.

Well I can understand web sites complaining that Flash 10 isn't compatible
(since many sites check specifically for version 9) and I've gotten the same
message, but that shouldn't cause IE 7 to hang.

Re: IE7 started hanging recently in Vista
Please begin a new thread to avoid confusion. THX

Michael Kraft wrote:

>>> Okay. I had posted a message in the Adobe forums and got a response
>>> back
>>> that there have been unsubstantiated reports of Flash 10 causing hangs,
>>> but nothing that has been duplicated.
>>>
>>> I guess I'm going to have to try and diagnose my father's system the
>>> next
>>> time I see him. Unfortunately the problem is that while the hangs are
>>> periodic, they aren't frequently (maybe one a day).

>> Flash 10 is not compatible with many Flash-dependent websites and
>> content.
>>

> Well I can understand web sites complaining that Flash 10 isn't compatible
> (since many sites check specifically for version 9) and I've gotten the
> same
> message, but that shouldn't cause IE 7 to hang.

I didn't say that it would.

Michael Kraft

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> >> Flash 10 is not compatible with many Flash-dependent websites and
> >> content.
> >>

> > Well I can understand web sites complaining that Flash 10 isn't compatible
> > (since many sites check specifically for version 9) and I've gotten the
> > same
> > message, but that shouldn't cause IE 7 to hang.

> I didn't say that it would.

*confused*

Then why even mention it?

Michael Kraft wrote:

>>> Well I can understand web sites complaining that Flash 10 isn't
>>> compatible
>>> (since many sites check specifically for version 9) and I've gotten the
>>> same
>>> message, but that shouldn't cause IE 7 to hang.

>> I didn't say that it would.
>>

> *confused*
>
> Then why even mention it?

*You* mentioned it in your first post and second posts, Michael.