Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP

Jerry Tovar

Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open IE7 I
get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate to.

I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem is
using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on this
PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7 stopped
working.

Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
just fine.

On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois Problem'.
I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.

However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites with
Firefox.

Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I try
to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
Problem because it is triying to use IE7

I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.

I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
Same problems.

How can I resolve these problems?

Thanks,

Jerry Tovar

Leonard Grey

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
Problems can result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Jerry Tovar wrote:
> My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open IE7 I
> get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate to.
>
> I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem is
> using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on this
> PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7 stopped
> working.
>
> Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> just fine.
>
> On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois Problem'.
> I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
>
> However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites with
> Firefox.
>
> Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I try
> to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> Problem because it is triying to use IE7
>
> I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
>
> I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> Same problems.
>
> How can I resolve these problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry Tovar

ACC

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
Check your DNS settings - Start - run - cmd - ipconfig /all.

Make sure that the primary DNS Server has the IP address of the Linksys
router.

If not, check the tcp/ip properties of the wireless connection.

"Jerry Tovar" <JerryTovar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open
> IE7 I
> get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate
> to.
>
> I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem
> is
> using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on
> this
> PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7
> stopped
> working.
>
> Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> just fine.
>
> On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois
> Problem'.
> I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
>
> However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites
> with
> Firefox.
>
> Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I
> try
> to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> Problem because it is triying to use IE7
>
> I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
>
> I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> Same problems.
>
> How can I resolve these problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry Tovar

Don Varnau

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
Hi,
Do you need to reconfigure a third-party firewall to allow IE7 to access the
internet? Updates for IE can make IE appear to be a new program to a
software firewall. Some firewalls will recognize that IE7 is a new program
and will ask if it should be allowed access to the internet- some won't ask.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Jerry Tovar" <JerryTovar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open

IE7 I
> get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate

to.

> I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem

is
> using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on

this
> PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7

stopped
> working.
>
> Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> just fine.
>
> On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois

Problem'.
> I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
>
> However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites

with
> Firefox.
>
> Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I

try
> to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> Problem because it is triying to use IE7
>
> I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
>
> I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> Same problems.
>
> How can I resolve these problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry Tovar

Jean Rosenfeld

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
You mention the need to install SP3.
Just to remind you that if you wish to retain the ability to roll back from
IE7 to IE6, you should uninstall IE7 prior to installing SP3. Once that is
installed you can reinstall IE7.

"Jerry Tovar" <JerryTovar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open
> IE7 I
> get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate
> to.
>
> I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem
> is
> using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on
> this
> PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7
> stopped
> working.
>
> Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> just fine.
>
> On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois
> Problem'.
> I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
>
> However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites
> with
> Firefox.
>
> Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I
> try
> to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> Problem because it is triying to use IE7
>
> I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
>
> I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> Same problems.
>
> How can I resolve these problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry Tovar

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
See this recent post in a related thread in Windows Update newsgroup, Jerry:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...80c146c3e0a787
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Jerry Tovar wrote:
> My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open
> IE7
> I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate
> to.
>
> I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem
> is
> using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on
> this PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7
> stopped working.
>
> Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> just fine.
>
> On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois
> Problem'.
> I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
>
> However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites
> with
> Firefox.
>
> Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I
> try
> to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> Problem because it is triying to use IE7
>
> I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
>
> I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> Same problems.
>
> How can I resolve these problems?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jerry Tovar

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
"Jerry Tovar" <JerryTovar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open
> IE7 I
> get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate
> to.
>
> I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem
> is
> using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on
> this
> PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7
> stopped
> working.
>
> Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> just fine.
>
> On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois
> Problem'.
> I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
>
> However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites
> with
> Firefox.
>
> Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I
> try
> to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> Problem because it is triying to use IE7
>
> I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
>
> I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> Same problems.
>
> How can I resolve these problems?

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Jerry Tovar

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP

Thanks for tip but the 'No Add-Ons' mode did not help.

I tried installing Opera last night but no pages display in there either.

So far only FireFox works, except when attempting to display a HTTPS page.

Thanks,

Jerry Tovar

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Problems can result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
> damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Jerry Tovar wrote:
> > My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open IE7 I
> > get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate to.
> >
> > I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem is
> > using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on this
> > PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7 stopped
> > working.
> >
> > Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> > just fine.
> >
> > On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois Problem'.
> > I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> > there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
> >
> > However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> > Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> > example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> > error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites with
> > Firefox.
> >
> > Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I try
> > to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> > Problem because it is triying to use IE7
> >
> > I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
> >
> > I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> > Same problems.
> >
> > How can I resolve these problems?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jerry Tovar

Jerry Tovar

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
Yes, the DNS Server has the IP of the Linksys.

"ACC" wrote:

> Check your DNS settings - Start - run - cmd - ipconfig /all.
>
> Make sure that the primary DNS Server has the IP address of the Linksys
> router.
>
> If not, check the tcp/ip properties of the wireless connection.
>
> "Jerry Tovar" <JerryTovar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My PC with XP home SP2 cannot connect to internet with IE7. When I open
> > IE7 I
> > get a "Page cannot be displayed" error on any page I attempt to navigate
> > to.
> >
> > I am using a DSL and a linksys wireless router. This PC with the problem
> > is
> > using a Belkin wireless network adapter. This setup has always worked on
> > this
> > PC for the last 3 years. It is only recently, about 6 weeks, that IE7
> > stopped
> > working.
> >
> > Also, we have 3 other PCs that work wireless and their IE7 browsers work
> > just fine.
> >
> > On the PC with the problems, IE7 gives me the option to 'Diagnois
> > Problem'.
> > I tried this and answered all the right questions. The results state that
> > there may be a problem with HTTP, HTTPS, FTP and names their ports.
> >
> > However, I am able to connect to internet on this PC with FireFox.
> > Everything works on Firefox except for secure pages such as HTTPS. For
> > example, when I go to yahoo.com and click on 'Mail', Firefox displays an
> > error instead of the yahoo login page. I canNOT access any secure sites
> > with
> > Firefox.
> >
> > Also, this PC is showing that SP3 needs to be installed, however when I
> > try
> > to install SP3, I immediately get an error that installation failed etc...
> > Problem because it is triying to use IE7
> >
> > I tried downloading IE7 and reinstalled it. Same problems.
> >
> > I tried resetting IE7 by ->IE ->Tools->Options->Advanced->'Reset' button.
> > Same problems.
> >
> > How can I resolve these problems?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jerry Tovar

Jerry Tovar

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE7 on XP
I turned off the Windows Firewall. That didn't help. I also clicked the
'Restore Defaults' under the Windows Firewall dialog advance tab. Nothing
helped.

This is my son's PC. At one time I thought a trial version of Norton's
firewall was on the PC. I don't see it anymore. I don't see it running in the
system tray either. Is it possible that the software wasn't uninstalled
correctly? How could I tell? The Norton directory is still under 'Programs
Files'.

The only other things possible on the PC are Windows Defender and Spybot. I
can try uninstalling these to see if it helps.

Thanks,

Jerry Tovar