IE7 under Vista Business not opening some website documents

RichmondDon

IE7 under Vista Business not opening some website documents
I run IE 7 under Vista Business. The issue is not being able to open
documents (specifically PDF files, but this applies to other kinds of files,
too) on websites where the link to open the document is written in such a way
that it does not directly access the file. (A direct link would directly name
the PDF file; indirect links seem to invoke some sort of programming language
that must then call the file in question.)

One such website is www.sedar.com The documents there are stored as PDFs,
but when clicking on the link to open a document, IE 7 brings up the little
"file download" dialog box with the question "Do you want to save this file,
or find a program online to open it?". The name of the file IE 7 displays (in
this case) is "GetFile.do", of "unknown type" (with the size of the file
displayed) from the website in question. The buttons displayed are: "find"
"save" "cancel"; the first two of which are of no use.

This is not a problem running IE7 under XP. That setup seems to be able to
look through the intermediate "do" step and pull up the target PDF file.

I imagine this is one of the security "features" of IE 7 under Vista, so
there's probably some tweak to the IE 7 security settings that will provide
the functionality I'm after.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 under Vista Business not opening some website documents

"RichmondDon" <RichmondDon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ECC74DB3-0366-4523-80AA-8505FF738221@microsoft.com...
>I run IE 7 under Vista Business. The issue is not being able to open
> documents (specifically PDF files, but this applies to other kinds of files,
> too) on websites where the link to open the document is written in such a way
> that it does not directly access the file. (A direct link would directly name
> the PDF file; indirect links seem to invoke some sort of programming language
> that must then call the file in question.)
>
> One such website is www.sedar.com The documents there are stored as PDFs,
> but when clicking on the link to open a document, IE 7 brings up the little
> "file download" dialog box with the question "Do you want to save this file,
> or find a program online to open it?". The name of the file IE 7 displays (in
> this case) is "GetFile.do", of "unknown type" (with the size of the file
> displayed) from the website in question. The buttons displayed are: "find"
> "save" "cancel"; the first two of which are of no use.
>
> This is not a problem running IE7 under XP. That setup seems to be able to
> look through the intermediate "do" step and pull up the target PDF file.
>
> I imagine this is one of the security "features" of IE 7 under Vista, so
> there's probably some tweak to the IE 7 security settings that will provide
> the functionality I'm after.

Yes, there is. Use Default Level security settings to remove it.

---