IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites

Rlee

IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
Hi there,

I have a problem with 3 computers that aren't able to access the internet
using IE7 (i tried with firefox and same problem). These 3 computers have
no problem accessing the LAN, Outlook, etc. Just Internet.

All 3 are running Windows XP SP3, and this started last thursday.

There are several other computers in the domain (in fact, sitting next to
those 3 computers) also with XP SP3 where their internet does work.

I can ftp to ftp.microsoft.com from those 3 computers.

I cannot http to any site.

Here's the info from the page under "more information"
More information

This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

Internet connectivity has been lost.
The website is temporarily unavailable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
domain.
If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
under the security section.

For offline users

You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
To view subscribed feeds

Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed you
want to view.

To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page
you want to view.

I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and followed
all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.

I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with safe
mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and tested as
suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as before. The rest
of the methods didn't apply.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Thanks.

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
> All 3 are running Windows XP SP3, and this started last thursday.

Was KB958644 (MS08-067) installed on all machines last Thursday? Were any
other updates installed at the same time?

> ...when i tested ie with safe
> mode (#3), internet worked fine.

(if any)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Rlee wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem with 3 computers that aren't able to access the internet
> using IE7 (i tried with firefox and same problem). These 3 computers have
> no problem accessing the LAN, Outlook, etc. Just Internet.
>
> All 3 are running Windows XP SP3, and this started last thursday.
>
> There are several other computers in the domain (in fact, sitting next to
> those 3 computers) also with XP SP3 where their internet does work.
>
> I can ftp to ftp.microsoft.com from those 3 computers.
>
> I cannot http to any site.
>
> Here's the info from the page under "more information"
> More information
>
> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>
> Internet connectivity has been lost.
> The website is temporarily unavailable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
> under the security section.
>
> For offline users
>
> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
> To view subscribed feeds
>
> Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
> you
> want to view.
>
> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>
> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page
> you want to view.
>
> I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and followed
> all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.
>
> I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with
> safe
> mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and tested
> as
> suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as before. The
> rest
> of the methods didn't apply.
>
> So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
>
> Thanks.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Rlee" <tech_support@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
>
> I have a problem with 3 computers that aren't able to access the internet
> using IE7 (i tried with firefox and same problem). These 3 computers have
> no problem accessing the LAN, Outlook, etc. Just Internet.
>
> All 3 are running Windows XP SP3, and this started last thursday.
>
> There are several other computers in the domain (in fact, sitting next to
> those 3 computers) also with XP SP3 where their internet does work.
>
> I can ftp to ftp.microsoft.com from those 3 computers.
>
> I cannot http to any site.
>
> Here's the info from the page under "more information"
> More information
>
> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>
> Internet connectivity has been lost.
> The website is temporarily unavailable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
> domain.
> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet Options,
> click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled
> under the security section.
>
> For offline users
>
> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
> To view subscribed feeds
>
> Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
> you want to view.
>
> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>
> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the page
> you want to view.
>
> I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and followed
> all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.
>
> I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with
> safe mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and
> tested as suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as
> before. The rest of the methods didn't apply.
>
> So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
>
> Thanks.

What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Rlee

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
I tried the no-add on part and got the same error message.

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Rlee" <tech_support@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I have a problem with 3 computers that aren't able to access the internet
>> using IE7 (i tried with firefox and same problem). These 3 computers
>> have no problem accessing the LAN, Outlook, etc. Just Internet.
>>
>> All 3 are running Windows XP SP3, and this started last thursday.
>>
>> There are several other computers in the domain (in fact, sitting next to
>> those 3 computers) also with XP SP3 where their internet does work.
>>
>> I can ftp to ftp.microsoft.com from those 3 computers.
>>
>> I cannot http to any site.
>>
>> Here's the info from the page under "more information"
>> More information
>>
>> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>>
>> Internet connectivity has been lost.
>> The website is temporarily unavailable.
>> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
>> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
>> domain.
>> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
>> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
>> are enabled under the security section.
>>
>> For offline users
>>
>> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
>> To view subscribed feeds
>>
>> Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the feed
>> you want to view.
>>
>> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>>
>> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
>> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
>> page you want to view.
>>
>> I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and followed
>> all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.
>>
>> I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with
>> safe mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and
>> tested as suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as
>> before. The rest of the methods didn't apply.
>>
>> So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

Rlee

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
Hi there,
Thanks for the response...

According to the add/remove programs, the last time anything was installed
was october 15th.

2 of these computers have SP2 (not sp3 as i thought), so i'm running the
install on those now (or soon enough)... I will test internet afterwards.

Computer WS2 (has SP3) and WS3 (has SP2): I do not see KB958644 (unless i'm
not looking in the right place, which is the add/remove programs). Nor do i
see it in the c:\windows folder...

Computer WS12 (has SP2) I do see KB958644 (c windows folder).. The logs
show that it was installed this morning (based on the date/time of the log
file)... which is odd considering that computer is having problems trying to
access port 80 since last thursday.
I opened the log file for this update, and this line looked interesting:

5.766: KB958644 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is not
correct.
There are lots of this log entry in the log file.

We are using AVG 8. Firewall is not installed as part of this software.
What seems odd is that we have 12 other computers in the same area all
pretty much installed the same way... (sp2/sp3 with the same software)..
hardware config is a little different, but thats expected when they are all
purchased at different times

> [...]

>> you
>> want to view.
>>
>> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
>>
>> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
>> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
>> page
>> you want to view.
>>
>> I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and followed
>> all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.
>>
>> I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with
>> safe
>> mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and tested
>> as
>> suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as before. The
>> rest
>> of the methods didn't apply.
>>
>> So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Rlee

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
After upgrading to SP3, still cannot access the internet on those 2
computers...

> [...]

>>> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
>>> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
>>> page
>>> you want to view.
>>>
>>> I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and
>>> followed
>>> all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.
>>>
>>> I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with
>>> safe
>>> mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and
>>> tested as
>>> suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as before. The
>>> rest
>>> of the methods didn't apply.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
>>>
>>> Thanks.

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites

AVG 8.0 Paid (e.g., AVG Pro AV; AVG AV & Firewall; AVG Internet Security) or
AVG Free?

Something tells me it's a paid version so see "1561: Inactive components
and/or blocked internet connection after update to 8.0.196" here:
http://www.avg.com/support

Rlee wrote:
> After upgrading to SP3, still cannot access the internet on those 2
> computers...
>
> "Rlee" <tech_support@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there,
>> Thanks for the response...
>>
>> According to the add/remove programs, the last time anything was
>> installed
>> was october 15th.
>>
>> 2 of these computers have SP2 (not sp3 as i thought), so i'm running the
>> install on those now (or soon enough)... I will test internet afterwards.
>>
>> Computer WS2 (has SP3) and WS3 (has SP2): I do not see KB958644 (unless
>> i'm not looking in the right place, which is the add/remove programs).
>> Nor do i see it in the c:\windows folder...
>>
>> Computer WS12 (has SP2) I do see KB958644 (c windows folder).. The logs
>> show that it was installed this morning (based on the date/time of the
>> log
>> file)... which is odd considering that computer is having problems trying
>> to access port 80 since last thursday.
>> I opened the log file for this update, and this line looked interesting:
>>
>> 5.766: KB958644 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is not
>> correct.
>> There are lots of this log entry in the log file.
>>
>> We are using AVG 8. Firewall is not installed as part of this software.
>> What seems odd is that we have 12 other computers in the same area all
>> pretty much installed the same way... (sp2/sp3 with the same software)..
>> hardware config is a little different, but thats expected when they are
>> all purchased at different times

>>> Was KB958644 (MS08-067) installed on all machines last Thursday? Were
>>> any other updates installed at the same time?

>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed? What
>>> anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party
>>> firewall (if any)?
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

>I tried the no-add on part and got the same error message.
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Rlee" <tech_support@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I have a problem with 3 computers that aren't able to access the
>>> internet using IE7 (i tried with firefox and same problem). These 3
>>> computers have no problem accessing the LAN, Outlook, etc. Just
>>> Internet.
>>>
>>> All 3 are running Windows XP SP3, and this started last thursday.
>>>
>>> There are several other computers in the domain (in fact, sitting next
>>> to those 3 computers) also with XP SP3 where their internet does work.
>>>
>>> I can ftp to ftp.microsoft.com from those 3 computers.
>>>
>>> I cannot http to any site.
>>>
>>> Here's the info from the page under "more information"
>>> More information
>>>
>>> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
>>>
>>> Internet connectivity has been lost.
>>> The website is temporarily unavailable.
>>> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
>>> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
>>> domain.
>>> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
>>> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols
>>> are enabled under the security section.

SNIP

>>> I reviewed this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926431 and
>>> followed all the general troubleshooting steps, no changes.
>>>
>>> I then followed the advanced troubleshooting, and when i tested ie with
>>> safe mode (#3), internet worked fine. But then i went to method 4, and
>>> tested as suggested, and the internet explorer had the same error as
>>> before. The rest of the methods didn't apply.
>>>
>>> So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed from here?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>

>> What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

Rlee

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
Sorry, i should have been more specific on the AVG version.

As you mentioned, it is AVG Internet Security Network Edition, 8.0.196 on
one of the computers... i will check the other 2 as well.

As soon as i turned off webshield and linkscanner, internet usage returned.

There is a fix, which i will apply.

Thanks again.

>>> We are using AVG 8.

> AVG 8.0 Paid (e.g., AVG Pro AV; AVG AV & Firewall; AVG Internet Security)
> or AVG Free?
>
> Something tells me it's a paid version so see "1561: Inactive components
> and/or blocked internet connection after update to 8.0.196" here:
> http://www.avg.com/support
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Rlee wrote:
>> After upgrading to SP3, still cannot access the internet on those 2
>> computers...
>>
>> "Rlee" <tech_support@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi there,
>>> Thanks for the response...
>>>
>>> According to the add/remove programs, the last time anything was
>>> installed
>>> was october 15th.
>>>
>>> 2 of these computers have SP2 (not sp3 as i thought), so i'm running the
>>> install on those now (or soon enough)... I will test internet
>>> afterwards.
>>>
>>> Computer WS2 (has SP3) and WS3 (has SP2): I do not see KB958644 (unless
>>> i'm not looking in the right place, which is the add/remove programs).
>>> Nor do i see it in the c:\windows folder...
>>>
>>> Computer WS12 (has SP2) I do see KB958644 (c windows folder).. The logs
>>> show that it was installed this morning (based on the date/time of the
>>> log
>>> file)... which is odd considering that computer is having problems
>>> trying
>>> to access port 80 since last thursday.
>>> I opened the log file for this update, and this line looked interesting:
>>>
>>> 5.766: KB958644 Setup encountered an error: The update.ver file is not
>>> correct.
>>> There are lots of this log entry in the log file.
>>>
>>> We are using AVG 8. Firewall is not installed as part of this software.
>>> What seems odd is that we have 12 other computers in the same area all
>>> pretty much installed the same way... (sp2/sp3 with the same software)..
>>> hardware config is a little different, but thats expected when they are
>>> all purchased at different times

Rlee

Re: IE7 on Windows XP SP3 not accessing sites
I actually do not know how to back up autocomplete data... although i'm sure
a quick google of the net would show me the way

Looks like PA Bear was able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks.