Internet Explorer, Norton AntiVirus locking up my E-Mail

Mud Shark

Internet Explorer, Norton AntiVirus locking up my E-Mail
I uninstalled Norton AntiVirus, however it left the Norton Antivirus scanning
function on my E-mail page in Yahoo. When I try to open a attachment, the
scanning function takes over. After moment it states OK to scan, then locks
up the E-mail.
There are no Symantec or Norton files, that I can find, remaining on the
computer.
Any Help solving this problem would be great.
MS
Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer, Norton AntiVirus locking up my E-Mail
You should consult Symantec technical support if you need help with
removing Symantec software. The knowledgebase begins here:

http://www.symantec.com/norton/suppo...product_ts.jsp

and the user's forum is here:

http://community.norton.com/norton/?category.id=nis.

You can also have an online chat with a Symantec technical support rep,
but I would try the knowledgebase and forum first.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Mud Shark wrote:
> I uninstalled Norton AntiVirus, however it left the Norton Antivirus scanning
> function on my E-mail page in Yahoo. When I try to open a attachment, the
> scanning function takes over. After moment it states OK to scan, then locks
> up the E-mail.
> There are no Symantec or Norton files, that I can find, remaining on the
> computer.
> Any Help solving this problem would be great.
> MS

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Mud Shark" <MudShark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news889B737-C682-4B0E-99EF-DFA3D3C0A865@microsoft.com...
>I uninstalled Norton AntiVirus, however it left the Norton Antivirus
>scanning
> function on my E-mail page in Yahoo. When I try to open a attachment, the
> scanning function takes over. After moment it states OK to scan, then
> locks
> up the E-mail.
> There are no Symantec or Norton files, that I can find, remaining on the
> computer.
> Any Help solving this problem would be great.
> MS

Try this cleanup tool:

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Kayman

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 11:57:02 -0700, Mud Shark wrote:

> I uninstalled Norton AntiVirus, however it left the Norton Antivirus scanning
> function on my E-mail page in Yahoo. When I try to open a attachment, the
> scanning function takes over. After moment it states OK to scan, then locks
> up the E-mail.
> There are no Symantec or Norton files, that I can find, remaining on the
> computer.
> Any Help solving this problem would be great.
> MS

While Norton's removal tool usually gets the job done, you may also want to
go to:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/winsockxpfix.html
and download a copy of winsockxpfix just in case. Rarely, the removal of
NIS breakes the networking components in XP to the point where internet
access is impossible. This little utility will fix it back up.

If the Norton removal tool doesn't work satisfactory use this:
Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Remove unwanted programs and traces easily
http://www.revouninstaller.com/
and/or
RegSeeker
http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm
RegSeeker will remove all associated detritus (registry keys,files and
folders) from any application. I found this application user friendly and
very effective but suggest *not* to use the 'Clean the Registry' option.
Click onto 'Find in registry' and in the 'Search for' box type *Norton*;
The pertinent registry keys can then be safely deleted (just in case,
ensure that the 'Backup before deletion' is checked). Repeat the task by
typing in the Search for' box *Symantec*. You can then go on search and
remove associated files as well.
Then use NTREGOPT to compact the registry; Follow instructions.
http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt