IE6 - Default website gone kookoo

John Galt

IE6 - Default website gone kookoo
Hi All,

I'm running XP (SP2) with IE 6 (SP2) and for years have an MSN Money page as
my default. However, for some reason it just stopped working and gives me a
HTTP 500 error message. When I disable friendly message, it just says the
same thing? I've figured out that when I go to the same URL with the ASPX
extension it loads (although it is a different page), but when I try the old
ASP extension I get the error. My
old page was http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp. The odd thing is
I have 2 computers and the old site above works just fine on that one. So
what's changed on my main computer to cause this problem? I'm having
withdrawls!

Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Leonard Grey

Re: IE6 - Default website gone kookoo
URLs change from time to time. Using Google, find the web page you are
looking for, and use the address shown to replace the address in your
Favorite.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

John Galt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running XP (SP2) with IE 6 (SP2) and for years have an MSN Money page as
> my default. However, for some reason it just stopped working and gives me a
> HTTP 500 error message. When I disable friendly message, it just says the
> same thing? I've figured out that when I go to the same URL with the ASPX
> extension it loads (although it is a different page), but when I try the old
> ASP extension I get the error. My
> old page was http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp. The odd thing is
> I have 2 computers and the old site above works just fine on that one. So
> what's changed on my main computer to cause this problem? I'm having
> withdrawls!
>
> Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

mae

Re: IE6 - Default website gone kookoo
Try either of these:
http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/whatsnew.aspx
then click investing tab and make a new shortcut.
Make sure you allow Cookies for site for your content.

mae

"John Galt" <JohnGalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi All,
|
| I'm running XP (SP2) with IE 6 (SP2) and for years have an MSN Money page
as
| my default. However, for some reason it just stopped working and gives me
| HTTP 500 error message. When I disable friendly message, it just says the
| same thing? I've figured out that when I go to the same URL with the ASPX
| extension it loads (although it is a different page), but when I try the
old
| ASP extension I get the error. My
| old page was http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp. The odd thing
is
| I have 2 computers and the old site above works just fine on that one. So
| what's changed on my main computer to cause this problem? I'm having
| withdrawls!
|
| Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

John Galt

Re: IE6 - Default website gone kookoo
That's my dilemma - http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp loads with a "HTTP
Error 500", yet on my other computer it loads fine. As does my old Default
page?? It's not that I can't find the page, as Leonard interpreted, but that
something is preventing it from loading just on this computer. Is this a
virus? Also, other pages seem to load with no problem, either ASPX or ASP
extensions...?

Thanks for trying! Appreciate the help.

"mae" wrote:

> Try either of these:
> http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp
> http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/whatsnew.aspx
> then click investing tab and make a new shortcut.
> Make sure you allow Cookies for site for your content.
>
> mae
>
> "John Galt" <JohnGalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Hi All,
> |
> | I'm running XP (SP2) with IE 6 (SP2) and for years have an MSN Money page
> as
> | my default. However, for some reason it just stopped working and gives me
> | HTTP 500 error message. When I disable friendly message, it just says the
> | same thing? I've figured out that when I go to the same URL with the ASPX
> | extension it loads (although it is a different page), but when I try the
> old
> | ASP extension I get the error. My
> | old page was http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp. The odd thing
> is
> | I have 2 computers and the old site above works just fine on that one. So
> | what's changed on my main computer to cause this problem? I'm having
> | withdrawls!
> |
> | Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE6 - Default website gone kookoo
"John Galt" <JohnGalt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I'm running XP (SP2) with IE 6 (SP2) and for years have an MSN Money page
> as
> my default. However, for some reason it just stopped working and gives me
> HTTP 500 error message. When I disable friendly message, it just says the
> same thing? I've figured out that when I go to the same URL with the ASPX
> extension it loads (although it is a different page), but when I try the
> old
> ASP extension I get the error. My
> old page was http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp. The odd thing
> is
> I have 2 computers and the old site above works just fine on that one. So
> what's changed on my main computer to cause this problem? I'm having
> withdrawls!
>
> Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Daniel Crichton

John wrote on Mon, 27 Oct 2008 10:42:01 -0700:

> Hi All,

> I'm running XP (SP2) with IE 6 (SP2) and for years have an MSN Money
> page as my default. However, for some reason it just stopped working
> and gives me a
> HTTP 500 error message. When I disable friendly message, it just says
> the same thing? I've figured out that when I go to the same URL with
> the ASPX extension it loads (although it is a different page), but
> when I try the old
> ASP extension I get the error. My old page was
> http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/home.asp. The odd thing is
> I have 2 computers and the old site above works just fine on that one.
> So what's changed on my main computer to cause this problem? I'm
> having withdrawls!

> Any words of wisdom? Thanks in advance!

A stab in the dark - you've got a cookie that the site isn't dealing with
well. If this is the case, it's very sloppy coding on the part of MSN to not
be validating the contents of a cookie before using it's value to do
something. I'd suggest finding and deleting the cookie for this site, and
then trying again - look in the Temporary Internet Files folder for a file
that shows up with a Name or Internet Address column value of

cookie:<yourusername>@moneycentral.msn.com/

or

Cookie:<yourusername>@msn.com/

where <yourusername> should be the name your Windows username. Take that
file (or files if there is more than one) and move it somewhere else (don't
delete it in case you need to put it back again). This should hopefully
allow the MoneyCentral site to work again, as it won't have to process a
corrupted cookie value. You will probably need to log in again though, as
it's likely that a login credential is stored in that cookie normally so
that the site "remembers" who you are when you visit.

--
Dan

Randy Helouin

RE: IE6 - Default website gone kookoo
I too had the same problem. The only fix I could come up with was to begin
using Mozilla Firefox. Works fine with Foxfire. IE 7 and IE 8 beta both
will not work. My main computer is the only one that will not work with
http://moneycentral.msn.com/home.asp
I had to give up on IE to save my sanity, or what is left of it.
Randy H.