Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close

Panador

Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
I frequently get this error box when I surf now (has been getting worse) and
IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
Updates. Any suggestions?
Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
Should we guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows you have?

For Internet Explorer 7:

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode --

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Panador wrote:
> I frequently get this error box when I surf now (has been getting worse) and
> IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
> but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
> even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
> Updates. Any suggestions?

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Panador wrote:
> I frequently get this error box when I surf now (has been getting worse)
> and
> IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the
> most
> but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
> even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done
> Microsoft
> Updates. Any suggestions?

Panador

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
Sorry, Yes I do have Internet Explorer 7 (I DID mention in my original post
that I have Windows XP.)
Thank you and I will try your advice.
Panador

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Should we guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows you have?
>
> For Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode --
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Panador wrote:
> > I frequently get this error box when I surf now (has been getting worse) and
> > IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
> > but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
> > even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
> > Updates. Any suggestions?

Panador

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
Hi Leonard:
I ran IE 7 in 'No Add-On" mode and it did NOT solve the problem.
My internet surfing is a mess.
I scanned w\Microsoft anti-malware and no infected objects were found.
It's funny, sometimes I can reply to you and cruise ebay but Hotmail is
almost unusable. Also TV listings on familiar sites, but othertimes OK!
What would you suggest next?
Fran

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Should we guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows you have?
>
> For Internet Explorer 7:
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode --
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Panador wrote:
> > I frequently get this error box when I surf now (has been getting worse) and
> > IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
> > but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
> > even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
> > Updates. Any suggestions?

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
and on schedule.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Panador wrote:
> Hi Leonard:
> I ran IE 7 in 'No Add-On" mode and it did NOT solve the problem.
> My internet surfing is a mess.
> I scanned w\Microsoft anti-malware and no infected objects were found.
> It's funny, sometimes I can reply to you and cruise ebay but Hotmail is
> almost unusable. Also TV listings on familiar sites, but othertimes OK!
> What would you suggest next?
> Fran
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Should we guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows you have?
>>
>> For Internet Explorer 7:
>>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode --
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
>> viruses or other malicious software.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Panador wrote:
>>> I frequently get this error box when I surf now (has been getting worse) and
>>> IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
>>> but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
>>> even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
>>> Updates. Any suggestions?

Panador

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
Hello Leonard,
Well,
I have uninstalled and then reinstalled IE7.
Still no luck.
I then did a complete scan w\Kaspersky and still not corrected.
Perhaps a better description of my problem is that IE closes whenever I
click anything once I get to my Hotmail inbox.
It closes for some other sites too but I can surf fine most sites.
In other words, the problem seems to be happening only for SOME websites.
What does that mean?
Any further suggestions in light of this info?
I will try HijackThis next.
Do you recommend downloading Widows Defender?
My computer is a Gateway 2002 model.
It could be time for another one.
System restore did not work.
Fran
"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> [...]
> > What would you suggest next?
> > Fran
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Should we guess what versions of Internet Explorer and Windows you have?
> >>
> >> For Internet Explorer 7:
> >>
> >> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode --
> >>
> >> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> >> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
> >>
> >> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> >> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> >> following target path:
> >>
> >> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
> >>
> >> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> >> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
> >>
> >> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of

Robert Aldwinckle

"Panador" <Panador@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:198AFCCF-D3C5-451C-A7C5-ED1CEA0B69FD@microsoft.com...
>I frequently get this error box when I surf

Another feature of "this error box" is its [click here] link.
Please use it and capture the Error Signature it leads to.
Tip: there is no right-click menu associated with that text
but you can doubleclick on a word to select a word and then
press Ctrl-a and Ctrl-c to select the whole thing and copy it
to ClipBoard. Paste the copied text into a reply. It could give us
clues about the cause of your crash and about the state of your
maintenance.

> now (has been getting worse)
> and IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
> but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
> even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
> Updates. Any suggestions?

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Panador

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a Problem and needs to close
Thanks

HERE IS THE ERROR SIGNATURE

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16705 ModName: urlmon.dll
ModVer: 7.0.6000.16705 Offset: 000207a8

(The following files will be included in the error report
C:\DOCUME~1\Fran\LOCALS~1\Temp\41ff_appcompat.txt

I could not copy and paste the ERROR REPORT CONTENTS.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Panador" <Panador@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:198AFCCF-D3C5-451C-A7C5-ED1CEA0B69FD@microsoft.com...
> >I frequently get this error box when I surf

> Another feature of "this error box" is its [click here] link.
> Please use it and capture the Error Signature it leads to.
> Tip: there is no right-click menu associated with that text
> but you can doubleclick on a word to select a word and then
> press Ctrl-a and Ctrl-c to select the whole thing and copy it
> to ClipBoard. Paste the copied text into a reply. It could give us
> clues about the cause of your crash and about the state of your
> maintenance.
>

> > now (has been getting worse)
> > and IE closes during the most routine surfing. Seems to affect Hotmail the most
> > but makes surfing in general unacceptable. I have deleted cookies, etc and
> > even used System Restore but still no luck. Am using XP. Have done Microsoft
> > Updates. Any suggestions?

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---