Lost two months of emails

Fred the Ted

Lost two months of emails
I've just noticed that I've lost two months history of incoming emails. Last
Staurday I.E asked me if I wanted to compact my files and as usual I agreed.
I do have a lot of files (about 5 years worth) in my inbox so I agreed. I've
just noticed that IE has lost two months of files prior to compacting. I need
these files back. Is there a way to get then back?
Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: Lost two months of emails
IE did this?...more likely your email client did, and depending on whatever
email client you're using you should post this question in a corresponding
newsgroup.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

"Fred the Ted" <FredtheTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've just noticed that I've lost two months history of incoming emails.
> Last
> Staurday I.E asked me if I wanted to compact my files and as usual I
> agreed.
> I do have a lot of files (about 5 years worth) in my inbox so I agreed.
> I've
> just noticed that IE has lost two months of files prior to compacting. I
> need
> these files back. Is there a way to get then back?

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Re: Lost two months of emails
Fred the Ted <FredtheTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I've just noticed that I've lost two months history of incoming
> emails. Last Staurday I.E asked me if I wanted to compact my files
> and as usual I agreed. I do have a lot of files (about 5 years worth)
> in my inbox so I agreed. I've just noticed that IE has lost two
> months of files prior to compacting. I need these files back. Is
> there a way to get then back?

Hi - I think you mean OE (Outlook Express), which has its own newsgroups.
That said, you should have backups of this (and all your other) data.

Leonard Grey

Re: Lost two months of emails
Internet Explorer did not ask that question...your email program did.
Post your question in a newsgroup for your email program.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Fred the Ted wrote:
> I've just noticed that I've lost two months history of incoming emails. Last
> Staurday I.E asked me if I wanted to compact my files and as usual I agreed.
> I do have a lot of files (about 5 years worth) in my inbox so I agreed. I've
> just noticed that IE has lost two months of files prior to compacting. I need
> these files back. Is there a way to get then back?

Fred the Ted

Re: Lost two months of emails
Sorry Rob. I should have sent this to OE support. Not having a good day.

"Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE did this?...more likely your email client did, and depending on whatever
> email client you're using you should post this question in a corresponding
> newsgroup.
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rob Giordano
> Microsoft MVP Expression
>

> "Fred the Ted" <FredtheTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I've just noticed that I've lost two months history of incoming emails.
> > Last
> > Staurday I.E asked me if I wanted to compact my files and as usual I
> > agreed.
> > I do have a lot of files (about 5 years worth) in my inbox so I agreed.
> > I've
> > just noticed that IE has lost two months of files prior to compacting. I
> > need
> > these files back. Is there a way to get then back?

Re: Lost two months of emails
[Asked/answered later in OE6 newsgroup]

Fred the Ted wrote:
> I've just noticed that I've lost two months history of incoming emails.
> Last
> Staurday I.E asked me if I wanted to compact my files and as usual I
> agreed.
> I do have a lot of files (about 5 years worth) in my inbox so I agreed.
> I've
> just noticed that IE has lost two months of files prior to compacting. I
> need these files back. Is there a way to get then back?

+Bob+

Re: Lost two months of emails
On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 06:46:06 -0700, Fred the Ted
<FredtheTed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Sorry Rob. I should have sent this to OE support. Not having a good day.

Visit the OE group as advised. There are some recovery utilities that
might help. One is called DBextract. You can google it. It will allow
you to extract email messages from OE's database files and rebuild
your lost messages IF they still exist. If not, you're hosed.

Most users learn about OE's issues sooner or later. One guy over in
the OE group has a whole web page dedicated to them. The primary rule
in OE is NOT to store you messages under the Inbox - make other
folders under local folders and store them there. The second rule is
not to let any folder become too large.

Of course, the key rule it so back up your message store/directory
regularly.