Help. IE very slow and I've run out of ideas...

Bryan Campbell

Help. IE very slow and I've run out of ideas...
I've recently run into a problem that has left me scratching my head and was
hopeful I might get some ideas from this community.

I have a Vista Home machine (Athlon 64, 4GB Ram) and, as of yesterday, I
cannot connect to a website with IE. Actually what it turned out was that it
was so slow bringing up a webpage that I thought IE was hung (5-10 mins for
an average web page). The computer is connected to the Internet (I can
download Windows updates, play World of Warcraft, bascially anything that
doesn't require a browser) and I can share information with my other computers

- I patched up the machine with all Windows and driver releases
- I ran the MS Malicious S/W tool although I have McAfee running all the time
- Installed IE 8 in an attempt to 'reinstall' IE
- I've re-installed McAfee
- I've run IE without any addons using the Accessories option
- I've reset IE options through the Tools/Advanced tab and followed all of
the suggestions at
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d8af71033.mspx

The machine is pretty basic, it is attached to an All-in-One HP Photosmart
printer through the network (I've seen some posts that suggest this might
cause conflicts for some reason).

Thanks for any help or suggestions people might be able to provide. I'm
definitely at my wits end.

Re: Help. IE very slow and I've run out of ideas...
If you disable the McAfee Firewall *and then* enabled the Windows Firewall,
does this behavior persist?

How does the machine connect to the internet? Is a router and/or wireless
involved?

In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bryan Campbell wrote:
> I've recently run into a problem that has left me scratching my head and
> was
> hopeful I might get some ideas from this community.
>
> I have a Vista Home machine (Athlon 64, 4GB Ram) and, as of yesterday, I
> cannot connect to a website with IE. Actually what it turned out was that
> it was so slow bringing up a webpage that I thought IE was hung (5-10 mins
> for an average web page). The computer is connected to the Internet (I can
> download Windows updates, play World of Warcraft, bascially anything that
> doesn't require a browser) and I can share information with my other
> computers
>
> - I patched up the machine with all Windows and driver releases
> - I ran the MS Malicious S/W tool although I have McAfee running all the
> time
> - Installed IE 8 in an attempt to 'reinstall' IE
> - I've re-installed McAfee
> - I've run IE without any addons using the Accessories option
> - I've reset IE options through the Tools/Advanced tab and followed all of
> the suggestions at
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...d8af71033.mspx
>
> The machine is pretty basic, it is attached to an All-in-One HP Photosmart
> printer through the network (I've seen some posts that suggest this might
> cause conflicts for some reason).
>
> Thanks for any help or suggestions people might be able to provide. I'm
> definitely at my wits end.

Bryan Campbell

Re: Help. IE very slow and I've run out of ideas...
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try these out when I get home tonight and
let you know how these worked out.
--
Bryan Campbell