XP Pro Will not recognize "D" drive

Briandp

XP Pro Will not recognize "D" drive
Two days ago, the 25th I had just finished doing an update to my computer and
after that had to restart the computer. It went into the restart and then
stoppped with a notification that windows was installing an upgrade and would
auto shut down when it was completed. This was the auto update program
working. I left the computer in that position and returned about 15 minutes
later. It normally will do a download and install fairly fast. It had not
completed, so I let it continue to run. Four hours later it is still in the
process of installing and changing the notification between the adviser of
the install and the advisor of the auto shut down when completed. I let it
run for two more hours, nothing. I then restarted the computer and went
throught the whole process again and as I restarted the computer it went back
into the install mode at shut down. I let it run a full 24 hours and it
never finished.

At this same time I had a second computer upstairs start into the same
thing. I had just finished the update and went into the restart and the same
exact thing happened. It ran for two days and never completed. I has only
one hard drive, but it now starts up and takes around 5 to 6 minuets to boot
up and get to the desk top. Use to take about 1 and 1/2 minutes. It's an
older maching. The third computer is working just fine but had not had the
same update download yet.

Back to my main computer. The whole thing started to act up and I put it
through a clean up, registry clean up, disk check, defrag, and it still would
not function right. Did virus scans, malicioussoftware scans, and even ran
Windows Defender, all came out clean. I finally got the system to run near
normal, but noted that it takes 3 minutes and 20 seconds to boot to the desk
top. It use to take, at the outside 45 seconds. I then dicovered that my
"D" drive was not being recognized by XP Pro. I check the BIOS Setup and it
registers there just fine. I checked control panel in device manager and it
is not there. Went to Adminstrative unit and check manager there, no D drive.

Can anyone help me work through this. Oh by the way, I went into Add and
remove software and found the most recent Update I loaded before this problem
started. It was KB957938. I uninstalled this update and things started to
work out right away, except the D drive registry issue. In the second
computer I found the same update and removed it and things worked themselve
out and it is running just fine.

So, can you help me get XP Pro to recognize my D drive?

Thanks Briandp

Re: XP Pro Will not recognize "D" drive
Forwarded to WinXP General via crosspost.

Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3) when posting to MS
newsgroups, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Briandp wrote:
> Two days ago, the 25th I had just finished doing an update to my computer
> and after that had to restart the computer. It went into the restart and
> then stoppped with a notification that windows was installing an upgrade
> and would auto shut down when it was completed. This was the auto update
> program working. I left the computer in that position and returned about
> 15 minutes later. It normally will do a download and install fairly fast.
> It had not completed, so I let it continue to run. Four hours later it is
> still in the process of installing and changing the notification between
> the adviser of the install and the advisor of the auto shut down when
> completed. I let it run for two more hours, nothing. I then restarted
> the computer and went throught the whole process again and as I restarted
> the computer it went back into the install mode at shut down. I let it
> run
> a full 24 hours and it never finished.
>
> At this same time I had a second computer upstairs start into the same
> thing. I had just finished the update and went into the restart and the
> same exact thing happened. It ran for two days and never completed. I
> has
> only one hard drive, but it now starts up and takes around 5 to 6 minuets
> to boot up and get to the desk top. Use to take about 1 and 1/2 minutes.
> It's an older maching. The third computer is working just fine but had
> not
> had the same update download yet.
>
> Back to my main computer. The whole thing started to act up and I put it
> through a clean up, registry clean up, disk check, defrag, and it still
> would not function right. Did virus scans, malicioussoftware scans, and
> even ran Windows Defender, all came out clean. I finally got the system
> run near normal, but noted that it takes 3 minutes and 20 seconds to boot
> to the desk top. It use to take, at the outside 45 seconds. I then
> dicovered that my "D" drive was not being recognized by XP Pro. I check
> the BIOS Setup and it registers there just fine. I checked control panel
> in device manager and it is not there. Went to Adminstrative unit and
> check manager there, no D drive.
>
> Can anyone help me work through this. Oh by the way, I went into Add and
> remove software and found the most recent Update I loaded before this
> problem started. It was KB957938. I uninstalled this update and things
> started to work out right away, except the D drive registry issue. In the
> second computer I found the same update and removed it and things worked
> themselve out and it is running just fine.
>
> So, can you help me get XP Pro to recognize my D drive?
>
> Thanks Briandp

Jim

"Briandp" <Briandp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> "D" drive was not being recognized by XP Pro. I check the BIOS Setup and
> it
> registers there just fine. I checked control panel in device manager and
> it
> is not there. Went to Adminstrative unit and check manager there, no D
> drive.
>
> Can anyone help me work through this. Oh by the way, I went into Add and
> remove software and found the most recent Update I loaded before this
> problem
> started. It was KB957938. I uninstalled this update and things started
> work out right away, except the D drive registry issue. In the second
> computer I found the same update and removed it and things worked
> themselve
> out and it is running just fine.
>
> So, can you help me get XP Pro to recognize my D drive?

My solution for this mess would be to restore the operating systems from my
weekly backups. However, before anybody can help you, you should specify
your OS and service pack level as well as the malfunctioning update.

Search the internet for KB957938. You will find that this a patch for
Silverlight (which I have not installed). You may find some possible
problems and fixes for same.

Jim

Briandp

Re: XP Pro Will not recognize "D" drive
The Operating System is Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > run near normal, but noted that it takes 3 minutes and 20 seconds to boot
> > to the desk top. It use to take, at the outside 45 seconds. I then
> > dicovered that my "D" drive was not being recognized by XP Pro. I check
> > the BIOS Setup and it registers there just fine. I checked control panel
> > in device manager and it is not there. Went to Adminstrative unit and
> > check manager there, no D drive.
> >
> > Can anyone help me work through this. Oh by the way, I went into Add and
> > remove software and found the most recent Update I loaded before this
> > problem started. It was KB957938. I uninstalled this update and things
> > started to work out right away, except the D drive registry issue. In the
> > second computer I found the same update and removed it and things worked
> > themselve out and it is running just fine.
> >
> > So, can you help me get XP Pro to recognize my D drive?

Was finally able to get Drive "D" to register. Had to remove all other
drives except "C" drive and then it came on line. Was able to run a
diagnostic on it and the drive is damaged beyond repair. The other computer
turned out to be an actual upgrade that stalled out. Got that worked out as
well. Thanks for the information.