IE7 Stopped loading after Win XP SP3 update - Please help

bandwood1@gmail.com

IE7 Stopped loading after Win XP SP3 update - Please help
Everything was working fine (IE7 worked fine), then via Windows Update
the system downloaded and installed XPSP3. After the installation was
complete, IE7 stopped allowing access to the internet.

The internet connection is fine, and even on the fsaulty computer it
has connection to the internet because I can ping www.microsofot.com,
just can't view it.

There must ne some strnage setting that needs to be tweaked - please
help.

Cheers,
Dennis.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 Stopped loading after Win XP SP3 update - Please help
This is likely caused by your security software. Please post again with
the detailed names of your security programs.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

bandwood1@gmail.com wrote:
> Everything was working fine (IE7 worked fine), then via Windows Update
> the system downloaded and installed XPSP3. After the installation was
> complete, IE7 stopped allowing access to the internet.
>
> The internet connection is fine, and even on the fsaulty computer it
> has connection to the internet because I can ping www.microsofot.com,
> just can't view it.
>
> There must ne some strnage setting that needs to be tweaked - please
> help.
>
> Cheers,
> Dennis.

Re: IE7 Stopped loading after Win XP SP3 update - Please help
If the machine's fully patched at Windows Update, SP3 might not be the
culprit.

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
and reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any Critical Updates
offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the
Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=====================================

Otherwise...

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

bandwood1@gmail.com

On Oct 27, 10:26*am, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> This is likely caused by your security software. Please post again with
> the detailed names of your security programs.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>

> bandwo...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Everything was working fine (IE7 worked fine), then via Windows Update
> > the system downloaded and installed XPSP3. After the installation was
> > complete, IE7 stopped allowing access to the internet.

> > The internet connection is fine, and even on the fsaulty computer it
> > has connection to the internet because I can pingwww.microsofot.com,
> > just can't view it.

> > There must ne some strnage setting that needs to be tweaked - please
> > help.

> > Cheers,
> > Dennis.- Hide quoted text -

The only security software is AVG8.0 and Windows Firewall and I've not
chnaged any of these.
bandwood1@gmail.com

On Oct 27, 10:27*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If the machine's fully patched at Windows Update, SP3 might not be the
> culprit.
>
> Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
> Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818
>
> If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
> following:
>
> 1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
> real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
> Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
> guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
> Windows Firewall.
>
> NB: You're "working without a net" now: Don't to ANYTHING else online (e.g.,
> browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
> application has been re-enabled! *If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
> may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.
>
> 2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB956390)"
> via Add/Remove Programs (make sure Show Updates box is checked at top right)
> and reboot.
>
> 3. Re-do #1 above.
>
> 4. Go tohttp://windowsupdate.microsoft.comand install any Critical Updates
> offered (i.e., KB956390). *If *a Root Certificates update is listed in the
> Optional Updates category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's
> enhanced security.
>
> 5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
> applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
> third-party firewall.
>
> =====================================
>
> Otherwise...

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. *Go tohttp://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=1173| select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Adminhttp://aumha.net
> DTS-Lhttp://dts-l.net/
>

> bandwo...@gmail.com wrote:
> > Everything was working fine (IE7 worked fine), then via Windows Update
> > the system downloaded and installed XPSP3. After the installation was
> > complete, IE7 stopped allowing access to the internet.

> > The internet connection is fine, and even on the fsaulty computer it
> > has connection to the internet because I can pingwww.microsofot.com,
> > just can't view it.

> > There must ne some strnage setting that needs to be tweaked - please
> > help.

> > Cheers,
> > Dennis.- Hide quoted text -

I don't use 3rd party firewall, just AVG 8.0.

Have removed IE7 patch KB956390, rebooted and no different.

After reboot Windows Updates asked to install it again plus another
patch - not done yet.

Any other suggestions.

Cheers,
Dennis.

Re: IE7 Stopped loading after Win XP SP3 update - Please help
Install both patches, then tell me the status of the problem.