IE7 won't remember login data

John Edwards

IE7 won't remember login data
Since (belatedly) installing Vista SP1 (on Home Premium), I'm having trouble
getting IE7 to remember login data on certain websites; eg:
a) the username for my online bank login;
b) the location information for personalisation of my BBC homepage.
Both of these were previously quite reliably presented each time.

I have deleted cookies and already-saved passwords, set privacy and security
to minimum levels and marked the sites as Trusted; I've turned off Protected
Mode and I have ticked the appropriate boxes to remember the information.

Re: IE7 won't remember login data
IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: Type in...

bbc.co.uk [and]
name-of-banking-website.co.uk (for example)

....and Allow cookies for each domain, in turn.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

John Edwards wrote:
> Since (belatedly) installing Vista SP1 (on Home Premium), I'm having
> trouble
> getting IE7 to remember login data on certain websites; eg:
> a) the username for my online bank login;
> b) the location information for personalisation of my BBC homepage.
> Both of these were previously quite reliably presented each time.
>
> I have deleted cookies and already-saved passwords, set privacy and
> security
> to minimum levels and marked the sites as Trusted; I've turned off
> Protected
> Mode and I have ticked the appropriate boxes to remember the information.

John Edwards

Re: IE7 won't remember login data
I should have mentioned that I had already done that - but, of course, it has
no effect (the sites key is greyed out) when the Privacy setting is at
minimum ('Accept all cookies').

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: Type in...
>
> bbc.co.uk [and]
> name-of-banking-website.co.uk (for example)
>
> ....and Allow cookies for each domain, in turn.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> John Edwards wrote:
> > Since (belatedly) installing Vista SP1 (on Home Premium), I'm having
> > trouble
> > getting IE7 to remember login data on certain websites; eg:
> > a) the username for my online bank login;
> > b) the location information for personalisation of my BBC homepage.
> > Both of these were previously quite reliably presented each time.
> >
> > I have deleted cookies and already-saved passwords, set privacy and
> > security
> > to minimum levels and marked the sites as Trusted; I've turned off
> > Protected
> > Mode and I have ticked the appropriate boxes to remember the information.

Re: IE7 won't remember login data
Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

John Edwards wrote:
> I should have mentioned that I had already done that - but, of course, it
> has no effect (the sites key is greyed out) when the Privacy setting is at
> minimum ('Accept all cookies').
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> IE Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Sites: Type in...
>>
>> bbc.co.uk [and]
>> name-of-banking-website.co.uk (for example)
>>
>> ....and Allow cookies for each domain, in turn.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> John Edwards wrote:
>>> Since (belatedly) installing Vista SP1 (on Home Premium), I'm having
>>> trouble
>>> getting IE7 to remember login data on certain websites; eg:
>>> a) the username for my online bank login;
>>> b) the location information for personalisation of my BBC homepage.
>>> Both of these were previously quite reliably presented each time.
>>>
>>> I have deleted cookies and already-saved passwords, set privacy and
>>> security
>>> to minimum levels and marked the sites as Trusted; I've turned off
>>> Protected
>>> Mode and I have ticked the appropriate boxes to remember the
>>> information.

John Edwards

RE: IE7 won't remember login data
I'VE SOLVED THE PROBLEM (after the MS SP1 support team tried hard)! It seems
that it resulted from my parallel adoption of a quick shutdown procedure
within Vista called 'shutdown.exe'; it has the effect of wiping the cookies
from the Temp Internet file every time I closed down.

"John Edwards" wrote:

> Since (belatedly) installing Vista SP1 (on Home Premium), I'm having trouble
> getting IE7 to remember login data on certain websites; eg:
> a) the username for my online bank login;
> b) the location information for personalisation of my BBC homepage.
> Both of these were previously quite reliably presented each time.
>
> I have deleted cookies and already-saved passwords, set privacy and security
> to minimum levels and marked the sites as Trusted; I've turned off Protected
> Mode and I have ticked the appropriate boxes to remember the information.

Re: IE7 won't remember login data
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...8e7222429d2d22

I've only managed to find two (2) previous, possibly-related threads about
this behavior:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0ac97925a958f5
(June 2006, predating Vista SP1)

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4995271ed0ddab
(June 2007, also predating Vista SP1)

While I'm glad to hear that you've resolved the problem (i.e., not using
Quick Shutdown), I still think the behavior was being caused by a
third-party application (e.g., CCleaner and its ilk), leftovers from a
previously-installed third-party application (e.g., Norton; McAfee;
anti-spyware app; Reigstry cleaner), or even corruption (e.g., "horked"
install of Vista SP1 or upgrade to Vista).

Thanks for your feedback.