RE: Internet Explorer 7

Chris

RE: Internet Explorer 7
After installing IE7 I am not able to view PDF's and end up with a blank web
page. I have diabled block ups and still no luck. What is the fix?
--
Enjoy Life

"fermilab" wrote:

> [...]
> The email worked fine after uninstalling IE7.
>
> 2) I have HP printers and scanners. The HP Director software quit
> functioning after installing IE7, so the scanner would not work at all. A
> large number of users would be expected to have HP printers and scanners and
> suffer the same significant loss of functionality. This would appear to be a
> common enough problem that it should have been mentioned in the IE7 release
> notes as well. Only after much websearching for a fix for this did someone
> state that a user could regain access to the HP Director window by double
> clicking on the HP icon, press ALT-space, minimize, then re-expand. I also
> found a way to make a Java script to do this. This problem and fix should
> have been better advertised and accessable for users to be aware of before
> and after installing IE7. Losing scanner and printer functionality is a
> serious problem for most users.
>
> 3) After installing IE7, I could no longer view almost all PDFs over the
> internet. They can be downloaded, of course, but cannot be viewed first.
> When looking for research articles, it is very helpful to be able to read
> part of a journal article to see if it is pertinent before downloading it.
> This is also a rather serious loss of functionality. I have no further time
> to devote looking for fixes after spending several hours on the first two
> items above. I am aware that some users had this problem even with IE6, but
> it appeared for me after installing IE7. I know nothing about the level of
> cooperation between Adobe and Microsoft, and of whatever technical
> difficulties there may be in getting IE7 or any other browser to allow
> viewing of PDF files, but this is a critical ability to make the computer and
> the internet useful to researchers. The PDF file format is so ubiquitous
> that to guarantee this capability should be a very high priority. Who cares
> about tabbed browsing if I can't read what I need to in even one window?
>
> 4) And why is the only option of where to save webpages in the one folder My
> Documents? Evidently, this can be changed by going into the registry, but
> what users need is to be able to save webpages to any folder they choose,
> with the choice made at the moment they are about to do the save. Just like
> a Word document save.
>
> If Microsoft wants to "provide a great browsing experience," as one of your
> IE7 managers stated in an interview months ago, the above items would appear
> very important to address. Users want functionality first, especially not to
> lose functionality we already depend on, then the "experience" a distant
> second.
>
> I installed IE7 twice to give it a good chance, but due to problems with
> loss of important functionality without appropriate warning, it has been
> un-installed twice and will remain so indefinitely for now. This also makes
> users less likely to trust other Microsoft updates and upgrades, whether this

Donald Anadell

Re: Internet Explorer 7

> After installing IE7 I am not able to view PDF's and end up with a blank
> web
> page. I have diabled block ups and still no luck. What is the fix?

Click on Tools||Internet Options||Advanced

Take the checkmark out of item named "Allow active content to run in file on
My Computer".

Good luck,

Donald Anadell