links being re-directed and no internet connection

Mark

links being re-directed and no internet connection
I have a 2 part(problem) question.

My girfirend's computer has Ca antivirus supplied by her ISP yet somehow
malware slipped through and now it has "issues". She got the usual slew of
pop up windows and slowed repsonse. She was able to run a manual virus scan
and it cleaned up about 50 infections. I manually went in and found traces of
malware and removed it. It began to run somewhat better but still has 2
peoblems.

I wanted to install Spybot S&D however when it starts to load it tries to
check for updates and DL some additional files. I get the message that there
is no connection to the internet. I tried to update the Ca antivirus and got
the same message. IE does run and I can sort of browse sites. More on that in
problem #2. There is an active connection.

From a DOS prompt I can ping to my hearts desire and all seems well also

Something is making these programs and also AdAware(wanted to try that too)
think that there is no active connection.

Problem #2. I can load any page from the address bar and it loads fine
alebit a bit slowly. I can click on any link and as long as it re-uses the
same tab for the page and it works fine. however if it tries to spawn any new
pages or in the case of Google tries to create a page with frames, the link
is re-directed to a place I don't want to be.

So trying to access MS support is an issue as is Google search or any
similar situations.

I need to solve problem #1 first so I can load updates to Ca and then Spybot
S&D as well on another thread it suggested a couple other programs which I
wrote down.

I disabled any add-on's to minize the risk of a rogue BHO and looked at what
is being loaded and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Although I know
some are disguised fairly well.

I need to have an active(to all inquiries) internet connection so I can
procede and then see what happens with this hijacking.

Suggestions and thanks in advance!
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:32E80FDE-41CD-424B-B6B3-5C65A158A33F@microsoft.com...
>I have a 2 part(problem) question.
>
> My girfirend's computer has Ca antivirus supplied by her ISP yet somehow
> malware slipped through and now it has "issues". She got the usual slew of
> pop up windows and slowed repsonse. She was able to run a manual virus scan
> and it cleaned up about 50 infections. I manually went in and found traces of
> malware and removed it. It began to run somewhat better but still has 2
> peoblems.
>
> I wanted to install Spybot S&D however when it starts to load it tries to
> check for updates and DL some additional files.

> I get the message that there is no connection to the internet.

What kind of connection do you have?
E.g. you can get that symptom if the Connections settings
are Never dial and the connection is really PPPoE on DSL.

> I tried to update the Ca antivirus and got the same message.

Another example of an application which has trouble seeing
a switched connection is Help and Support. E.g. press Win-F1
and use the Support menu (Alt-u). Click on [Get help from Microsoft]
What happens?

> IE does run and I can sort of browse sites. More on that in
> problem #2. There is an active connection.
>
> From a DOS prompt I can ping to my hearts desire and all seems well also
>
> Something is making these programs and also AdAware(wanted to try that too)
> think that there is no active connection.

What I do is use OE to ensure that my DSL connection is up
and then let any other program, including IE, use the "LAN"
connection, which is then more clearly able to connect to the Internet.

> Problem #2. I can load any page from the address bar and it loads fine
> alebit a bit slowly. I can click on any link and as long as it re-uses the
> same tab for the page and it works fine. however if it tries to spawn any new
> pages or in the case of Google tries to create a page with frames, the link
> is re-directed to a place I don't want to be.

Details? Sounds like spyware.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> So trying to access MS support is an issue as is Google search or any
> similar situations.
>
> I need to solve problem #1 first so I can load updates to Ca and then Spybot
> S&D as well on another thread it suggested a couple other programs which I
> wrote down.
>
> I disabled any add-on's to minize the risk of a rogue BHO and looked at what
> is being loaded and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Although I know
> some are disguised fairly well.
>
> I need to have an active(to all inquiries) internet connection so I can
> procede and then see what happens with this hijacking.
>
> Suggestions and thanks in advance!

Mark

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection
The connection is via cable modem. The connection IS up. IE is functional
mostly except for the re-direction hijacking, and these applications used to
work. however since these troubles, NO other program except IE can detect the
connection. DOS also has no issues. It's my girlfriend's PC and she uses
webmail so OE isn't configured for any sort of POP mail or anything.

While cleaning the system up I was able to get AdAware to see a connection
once. Then once it completed a scan and found a couple of bugs, I tried to
open a link and saw the re-direction hijack and then the connection status
was lost again. Likely whatever the infection is grew again. I am sure there
is an spore out there somewhere that keeps re-hatching and as I keep killing
it off, it keeps coming back.

Thanks.

"Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BA5E4C3-77B1-4E07-BB03-4432F1BA6FA4@microsoft.com...
> The connection is via cable modem.

That describes the hardware (same as my DSL) but not the underlying
link layer protocol, e.g. the PPPoE. Then only if you have a hardware
firewall or router doing the actual connection to the Internet would
you not be presenting XP with the same ambiguous network state
that I am referring to.

> The connection IS up. IE is functional
> mostly except for the re-direction hijacking, and these applications used to
> work. however since these troubles,

> NO other program except IE can detect the connection.

Is there an HTTP proxy then? In a cmd window after you have made
a connection try using netstat. E.g. enter:

netstat -abvop tcp

See if that shows any unexpected modules or ports being used.

You could also try using Fiddler2 (an HTTP proxy tracer)
to see if it gives you any clues about how you're getting what
you're seeing. Otherwise use a full packet tracer, e.g. capture
using netcap, format with Ethereal, etc.

> DOS also has no issues.

ping uses ICMP which is not TCP, apparently lower even than UDP:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ssage_Protocol

(Live Search for
ICMP
)

At the very least you should be using telnet to check connectivity
to an HTTP server.

HTH

Robert
---

> [...]

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---
>>

>> > So trying to access MS support is an issue as is Google search or any
>> > similar situations.
>> >
>> > I need to solve problem #1 first so I can load updates to Ca and then Spybot
>> > S&D as well on another thread it suggested a couple other programs which I
>> > wrote down.
>> >
>> > I disabled any add-on's to minize the risk of a rogue BHO and looked at what
>> > is being loaded and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Although I know
>> > some are disguised fairly well.
>> >
>> > I need to have an active(to all inquiries) internet connection so I can
>> > procede and then see what happens with this hijacking.
>> >
>> > Suggestions and thanks in advance!

Mark

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection
Thanks, certainly a few more tidbits to try. I want to have a decent sized
arsenal prepared before I head over to her house to try again. She lives an
hour and a half away and I want to try and knock this out once and for all.

Yes, while ping uses ICMP packets at least it does a quick confirmation that
it thinks there is a live connection. The other programs don't even think
that exists. I don't know where in the stack or where it returns that state,
but that's what I need to track down.

I'm pretty well equipped to trace it downstream. I have an HP Lan Advisor
which I can use for that. But again the issue is why sometimes a program
which tries to use the IP stack sometimes think there is an active connection
and then sometimes not. And why IE always thinks there is.

I think I've got a pretty good plan of action to try on Tuesday when I head
there.

Thanks for all your help. I'll post what I find when I return.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> "Mark" <Mark@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8BA5E4C3-77B1-4E07-BB03-4432F1BA6FA4@microsoft.com...
> > The connection is via cable modem.

> That describes the hardware (same as my DSL) but not the underlying
> link layer protocol, e.g. the PPPoE. Then only if you have a hardware
> firewall or router doing the actual connection to the Internet would
> you not be presenting XP with the same ambiguous network state
> that I am referring to.
>

> > The connection IS up. IE is functional
> > mostly except for the re-direction hijacking, and these applications used to
> > work. however since these troubles,

> > NO other program except IE can detect the connection.

> Is there an HTTP proxy then? In a cmd window after you have made
> a connection try using netstat. E.g. enter:
>
> netstat -abvop tcp
>
> See if that shows any unexpected modules or ports being used.
>
> You could also try using Fiddler2 (an HTTP proxy tracer)
> to see if it gives you any clues about how you're getting what
> you're seeing. Otherwise use a full packet tracer, e.g. capture
> using netcap, format with Ethereal, etc.
>

> > DOS also has no issues.

> ping uses ICMP which is not TCP, apparently lower even than UDP:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ssage_Protocol
>
> (Live Search for
> ICMP
> )
>
> At the very least you should be using telnet to check connectivity
> to an HTTP server.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert
> ---
>

> > It's my girlfriend's PC and she uses
> > webmail so OE isn't configured for any sort of POP mail or anything.
> >
> > While cleaning the system up I was able to get AdAware to see a connection
> > once. Then once it completed a scan and found a couple of bugs, I tried to
> > open a link and saw the re-direction hijack and then the connection status
> > was lost again. Likely whatever the infection is grew again. I am sure there
> > is an spore out there somewhere that keeps re-hatching and as I keep killing
> > it off, it keeps coming back.
> >
> > Thanks.

> >> What kind of connection do you have?
> >> E.g. you can get that symptom if the Connections settings
> >> are Never dial and the connection is really PPPoE on DSL.

> >> Another example of an application which has trouble seeing
> >> a switched connection is Help and Support. E.g. press Win-F1
> >> and use the Support menu (Alt-u). Click on [Get help from Microsoft]
> >> What happens?

> >> What I do is use OE to ensure that my DSL connection is up
> >> and then let any other program, including IE, use the "LAN"
> >> connection, which is then more clearly able to connect to the Internet.

> >> Details? Sounds like spyware.
> >>

> >> HTH
> >>
> >> Robert Aldwinckle
> >> ---

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection
You've got more work to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Mark wrote:
> I have a 2 part(problem) question.
>
> My girfirend's computer has Ca antivirus supplied by her ISP yet somehow
> malware slipped through and now it has "issues". She got the usual slew of
> pop up windows and slowed repsonse. She was able to run a manual virus
> scan
> and it cleaned up about 50 infections. I manually went in and found traces
> of malware and removed it. It began to run somewhat better but still has 2
> peoblems.
>
> I wanted to install Spybot S&D however when it starts to load it tries to
> check for updates and DL some additional files. I get the message that
> there
> is no connection to the internet. I tried to update the Ca antivirus and
> got
> the same message. IE does run and I can sort of browse sites. More on that
> in problem #2. There is an active connection.
>
> From a DOS prompt I can ping to my hearts desire and all seems well also
>
> Something is making these programs and also AdAware(wanted to try that
> too)
> think that there is no active connection.
>
> Problem #2. I can load any page from the address bar and it loads fine
> alebit a bit slowly. I can click on any link and as long as it re-uses the
> same tab for the page and it works fine. however if it tries to spawn any
> new pages or in the case of Google tries to create a page with frames, the
> link is re-directed to a place I don't want to be.
>
> So trying to access MS support is an issue as is Google search or any
> similar situations.
>
> I need to solve problem #1 first so I can load updates to Ca and then
> Spybot
> S&D as well on another thread it suggested a couple other programs which I
> wrote down.
>
> I disabled any add-on's to minize the risk of a rogue BHO and looked at
> what
> is being loaded and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Although I
> know
> some are disguised fairly well.
>
> I need to have an active(to all inquiries) internet connection so I can
> procede and then see what happens with this hijacking.
>
> Suggestions and thanks in advance!

Mark

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection
I am quite aware there is more to do. However this is made more complex
because I can't load or even get to some of the sites to scan it as necessary
to do that. If I try to load any sort of malware detecion software it tries
to go to their server to check for updates to their config and/or signature
files and the program returns that there is no internet connection. Hence
part of the dilemma.

Yes, I am very sure there is some sort of malware lurking, but I need a way
to either remove it manually or be able to load a program to do it for me.

I am first trying to figure out why the programs think there is no
connection and fix that, then be able to get an appropriate program or scan
to identify what it has and then irradicate it.

Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > link is re-directed to a place I don't want to be.
> >
> > So trying to access MS support is an issue as is Google search or any
> > similar situations.
> >
> > I need to solve problem #1 first so I can load updates to Ca and then
> > Spybot
> > S&D as well on another thread it suggested a couple other programs which I
> > wrote down.
> >
> > I disabled any add-on's to minize the risk of a rogue BHO and looked at
> > what
> > is being loaded and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Although I
> > know
> > some are disguised fairly well.
> >
> > I need to have an active(to all inquiries) internet connection so I can
> > procede and then see what happens with this hijacking.
> >
> > Suggestions and thanks in advance!

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection
Start by posting your HijackThis log in an appropriate forum.

Or format & reinstall Windows.

Mark wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> So trying to access MS support is an issue as is Google search or any
>>> similar situations.
>>>
>>> I need to solve problem #1 first so I can load updates to Ca and then
>>> Spybot
>>> S&D as well on another thread it suggested a couple other programs which
>>> wrote down.
>>>
>>> I disabled any add-on's to minize the risk of a rogue BHO and looked at
>>> what
>>> is being loaded and don't see anything out of the ordinary. Although I
>>> know
>>> some are disguised fairly well.
>>>
>>> I need to have an active(to all inquiries) internet connection so I can
>>> procede and then see what happens with this hijacking.
>>>
>>> Suggestions and thanks in advance!

Mark

Re: links being re-directed and no internet connection
I wish I could get to Hijack this to run and DL a report. One of the issues
is that I can't get most places.

I worked on it again yesterday and found that with enough cleaning I could
get internet access outside of IE and did load SpyBot and also Glarysoft. S&D
found a ton of malware from trojans to one that disabled MS antivirus
protection. I cleaned all those and then Glarysoft found a bunch more so I
cleaned them too.

However then when trying to boot again I the dreaded DCOM stopped
unexpectedly... error popped up. Seeing things going downhill I tried to
backup everything but the DVD drive had some sort of hardware problem and I
can't do that.

I am going to bring my laptop with me tomorrow and haul everything over to
my pc and write it to a disk from there. I printed out a bunch of registry
and system recovery threads. I DL's as many tools as possible on a DVD and
will spend some time with them before resorting to a re-install/recovery.
She's trying to locate the system disks tonight just in case.