Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7

AutobotBlasterFan

Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7
Hi everyone,

I am having problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7). It is
not a consistent problem, but I think that it started after I installed
Service pack 3 for Windows XP Pro. If I have atleast two tabs open in IE7,
there are times when I can not close one of the tabs and IE7 will not allow
me to close the browser itself. Is there any fixes or patches to IE7 to
resolve this problem? I have used Windows automatic updates and visited
Microsoft's update website to download the latest updates, so my Windows XP
Pro should have the latest updates. Any thoughts?

Leonard Grey

Re: Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7
Problems can result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

AutobotBlasterFan wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7). It is
> not a consistent problem, but I think that it started after I installed
> Service pack 3 for Windows XP Pro. If I have atleast two tabs open in IE7,
> there are times when I can not close one of the tabs and IE7 will not allow
> me to close the browser itself. Is there any fixes or patches to IE7 to
> resolve this problem? I have used Windows automatic updates and visited
> Microsoft's update website to download the latest updates, so my Windows XP
> Pro should have the latest updates. Any thoughts?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7
"AutobotBlasterFan" <AutobotBlasterFan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:9C2450CD-D4AF-48AF-A94F-8F8E95AF37B0@microsoft.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7). It
> is
> not a consistent problem, but I think that it started after I installed
> Service pack 3 for Windows XP Pro. If I have atleast two tabs open in IE7,
> there are times when I can not close one of the tabs and IE7 will not
> allow
> me to close the browser itself. Is there any fixes or patches to IE7 to
> resolve this problem? I have used Windows automatic updates and visited
> Microsoft's update website to download the latest updates, so my Windows
> XP
> Pro should have the latest updates. Any thoughts?

What happens when you try?
Any messages?

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

AutobotBlasterFan

Re: Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7
Hi Mr. Saunders,

No error messages. I get a sound then I click on the x button or try to exit
out of IE7. Usually, I use task manager to end program when this happens.

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> "AutobotBlasterFan" <AutobotBlasterFan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:9C2450CD-D4AF-48AF-A94F-8F8E95AF37B0@microsoft.com...
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am having problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7). It
> > is
> > not a consistent problem, but I think that it started after I installed
> > Service pack 3 for Windows XP Pro. If I have atleast two tabs open in IE7,
> > there are times when I can not close one of the tabs and IE7 will not
> > allow
> > me to close the browser itself. Is there any fixes or patches to IE7 to
> > resolve this problem? I have used Windows automatic updates and visited
> > Microsoft's update website to download the latest updates, so my Windows
> > XP
> > Pro should have the latest updates. Any thoughts?
> >

> What happens when you try?
> Any messages?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

AutobotBlasterFan

Re: Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7
Hi Mr. Grey,

I run weekly antivirus and antispyware programs to keep my laptop free as
possible of viruses and spyware. I will follow your suggestion about running
IE7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode.

Thanks for the advice.

message news:49C090A3-A41B-4224-9AD1-58FF13A9B24D@microsoft.com...
> Hi Mr. Saunders,
>
> No error messages. I get a sound then I click on the x button or try to
> exit
> out of IE7. Usually, I use task manager to end program when this happens.
>
> "Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:
>
>> "AutobotBlasterFan" <AutobotBlasterFan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>> in
>> message news:9C2450CD-D4AF-48AF-A94F-8F8E95AF37B0@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi everyone,
>> >
>> > I am having problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7 (IE7).
>> > It
>> > is
>> > not a consistent problem, but I think that it started after I installed
>> > Service pack 3 for Windows XP Pro. If I have atleast two tabs open in
>> > IE7,
>> > there are times when I can not close one of the tabs and IE7 will not
>> > allow
>> > me to close the browser itself. Is there any fixes or patches to IE7 to
>> > resolve this problem? I have used Windows automatic updates and visited
>> > Microsoft's update website to download the latest updates, so my
>> > Windows
>> > XP
>> > Pro should have the latest updates. Any thoughts?
>> >

>> What happens when you try?
>> Any messages?

Do a thorough check for malware, following all of the steps at one of these
Web pages, including HijackThis.
Help with malware:
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince
you that you owe it to the author. See also:
of.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

AutobotBlasterFan

Re: Problems closing a open tab in Internet Explorer 7
Hi Mr. Saunders,

I ran Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 in smart scan mode today. Ad-Aware 2008 found a
TAI 7 level maleware file in My Program files\Common files folder. This is
file is rated as a high threat level. This was the only one found at this
time, and I deleted it. I plan to do a full scan later. you for thI have been
relying on one spyware software that came with my firewall internet suite, I
will not name which one, and I have not use Ad-Ware in a few weeks.

I like to thank you for the links to the websites that provide information
about maleware, spyware, and other threats. I will be more diligent in
watching out for maleware in the future.