Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.

*Laughingstar*

Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
IE 7 was downloaded this week, but not Vista (do not want to replace my
scanner). Running XP Pro, Office 2003, OE 6., Windows Defender, AdAware,
Avast, and Spyware Blaster, running everything daily, or at least weekly;
all updates current.

I used Firefox’s current version for a short time, and liked the
editing/spell check one could do on a webpage entry, which also showed up in
OE mail composing, for example. When I had a tech come out and check my
computer (mouse died) he told me that IE 7 was great, and would do the same
things that Firefox did – I also have a blog site so it was helpful with
that, too (he did check my system, and all's well - plenty of room).

With IE 7, it appears that editing in an Internet site is not possible –
that I know of. Add-ons are not turned on. Is it possible I merely have not
found the preference in IE7 that will indicate editing needs/spelling
errors, etc.? I really do not notice any difference in 7 from IE6 - except
I'm used to 6.

Thank you all, again.

Don Varnau

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
Hi,
Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.

Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by third-party
programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/

There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field to find
some other options.

Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via JavaScript.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"*Laughingstar*" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
> IE 7 was downloaded this week, but not Vista (do not want to replace my
> scanner). Running XP Pro, Office 2003, OE 6., Windows Defender, AdAware,
> Avast, and Spyware Blaster, running everything daily, or at least weekly;
> all updates current.
>

> I used Firefox’s current version for a short time, and liked the
> editing/spell check one could do on a webpage entry, which also showed up

in
> OE mail composing, for example. When I had a tech come out and check my
> computer (mouse died) he told me that IE 7 was great, and would do the

same
> things that Firefox did – I also have a blog site so it was helpful with
> that, too (he did check my system, and all's well - plenty of room).
>

> With IE 7, it appears that editing in an Internet site is not possible –
> that I know of. Add-ons are not turned on. Is it possible I merely have

not
> found the preference in IE7 that will indicate editing needs/spelling
> errors, etc.? I really do not notice any difference in 7 from IE6 - except
> I'm used to 6.
>

> Thank you all, again.

*Laughingstar*

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
breeze from the ocean - thank you!

Don Varnau wrote:
> Hi,
> Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
>
> Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
> third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
>
> There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
> http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
> to find some other options.
>
> Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
> JavaScript.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "*Laughingstar*" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>> IE 7 was downloaded this week, but not Vista (do not want to replace
>> my scanner). Running XP Pro, Office 2003, OE 6., Windows Defender,
>> AdAware, Avast, and Spyware Blaster, running everything daily, or at
>> least weekly; all updates current.
>>

>> I used Firefox’s current version for a short time, and liked the
>> editing/spell check one could do on a webpage entry, which also
>> showed up in OE mail composing, for example. When I had a tech come
>> out and check my computer (mouse died) he told me that IE 7 was
>> great, and would do the same things that Firefox did – I also have a
>> blog site so it was helpful with that, too (he did check my system,
>> and all's well - plenty of room).
>>

>> With IE 7, it appears that editing in an Internet site is not
>> possible – that I know of. Add-ons are not turned on. Is it
>> possible I merely have not found the preference in IE7 that will
>> indicate editing needs/spelling errors, etc.? I really do not notice
>> any difference in 7 from IE6 - except I'm used to 6.
>>

>> Thank you all, again.

*Laughingstar*

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
one more question - does IE7 slow down the system? I've cleaned and checked
everything, still running on less than 32%, defrag not needed but did it
anyway, scanned disk, etc. all others, too. Still running slowly. Up to date
on all needed updates from MS incl. 3.
Thank you.

Don Varnau wrote:
> Hi,
> Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
>
> Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
> third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
>
> There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
> http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
> to find some other options.
>
> Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
> JavaScript.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "*Laughingstar*" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>> IE 7 was downloaded this week, but not Vista (do not want to replace
>> my scanner). Running XP Pro, Office 2003, OE 6., Windows Defender,
>> AdAware, Avast, and Spyware Blaster, running everything daily, or at
>> least weekly; all updates current.
>>

>> I used Firefox’s current version for a short time, and liked the
>> editing/spell check one could do on a webpage entry, which also
>> showed up in OE mail composing, for example. When I had a tech come
>> out and check my computer (mouse died) he told me that IE 7 was
>> great, and would do the same things that Firefox did – I also have a
>> blog site so it was helpful with that, too (he did check my system,
>> and all's well - plenty of room).
>>

>> With IE 7, it appears that editing in an Internet site is not
>> possible – that I know of. Add-ons are not turned on. Is it
>> possible I merely have not found the preference in IE7 that will
>> indicate editing needs/spelling errors, etc.? I really do not notice
>> any difference in 7 from IE6 - except I'm used to 6.
>>

>> Thank you all, again.

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

*Laughingstar* wrote:
> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system? I've cleaned and
> checked
> everything, still running on less than 32%, defrag not needed but did it
> anyway, scanned disk, etc. all others, too. Still running slowly. Up to
> date
> on all needed updates from MS incl. 3.
> Thank you.
>
> Don Varnau wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
>>
>> Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
>> third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
>>
>> There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
>> http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
>> to find some other options.
>>
>> Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
>> JavaScript.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Don
>> [MS MVP- IE]
>>
>> "*Laughingstar*" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>>> IE 7 was downloaded this week, but not Vista (do not want to replace
>>> my scanner). Running XP Pro, Office 2003, OE 6., Windows Defender,
>>> AdAware, Avast, and Spyware Blaster, running everything daily, or at
>>> least weekly; all updates current.
>>>

>>> I used Firefox’s current version for a short time, and liked the
>>> editing/spell check one could do on a webpage entry, which also
>>> showed up in OE mail composing, for example. When I had a tech come
>>> out and check my computer (mouse died) he told me that IE 7 was
>>> great, and would do the same things that Firefox did – I also have a
>>> blog site so it was helpful with that, too (he did check my system,
>>> and all's well - plenty of room).
>>>

>>> With IE 7, it appears that editing in an Internet site is not
>>> possible – that I know of. Add-ons are not turned on. Is it
>>> possible I merely have not found the preference in IE7 that will
>>> indicate editing needs/spelling errors, etc.? I really do not notice
>>> any difference in 7 from IE6 - except I'm used to 6.
>>>

>>> Thank you all, again.

*Laughingstar*

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
There were no add-ons, I didn't allow them to begin with. Thank you.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> Add-ons; or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> Explorer (No add-ons).

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> *Laughingstar* wrote:
>> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system? I've cleaned and
>> checked
>> everything, still running on less than 32%, defrag not needed but
>> did it anyway, scanned disk, etc. all others, too. Still running
>> slowly. Up to date
>> on all needed updates from MS incl. 3.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Don Varnau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
>>>
>>> Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
>>> third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
>>>
>>> There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
>>> http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
>>> to find some other options.
>>>
>>> Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
>>> JavaScript.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
Hi,
> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system?

I haven't found this. As PA Bear advised, when IE7 appears to be a memory
hog, it's usually due to add-ons. If the Temporary Internet Files folder is
set to 100 MB or less and cleared occasionally and if the machine is free of
malware, IE7 shouldn't slow down the computer.

> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system? I've cleaned and

checked
> everything, still running on less than 32%, defrag not needed but did it
> anyway, scanned disk, etc. all others, too. Still running slowly. Up to

date
> on all needed updates from MS incl. 3.
> Thank you.

> Don Varnau wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
> >
> > Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
> > third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
> >
> > There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
> > http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
> > to find some other options.
> >
> > Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
> > JavaScript.

> > "*Laughingstar*" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
> >> IE 7 was downloaded this week, but not Vista (do not want to replace
> >> my scanner). Running XP Pro, Office 2003, OE 6., Windows Defender,
> >> AdAware, Avast, and Spyware Blaster, running everything daily, or at
> >> least weekly; all updates current.
> >>

> >> I used Firefox’s current version for a short time, and liked the
> >> editing/spell check one could do on a webpage entry, which also
> >> showed up in OE mail composing, for example. When I had a tech come
> >> out and check my computer (mouse died) he told me that IE 7 was
> >> great, and would do the same things that Firefox did – I also have a
> >> blog site so it was helpful with that, too (he did check my system,
> >> and all's well - plenty of room).
> >>

> >> With IE 7, it appears that editing in an Internet site is not
> >> possible – that I know of. Add-ons are not turned on. Is it
> >> possible I merely have not found the preference in IE7 that will
> >> indicate editing needs/spelling errors, etc.? I really do not notice
> >> any difference in 7 from IE6 - except I'm used to 6.
> >>

> >> Thank you all, again.

*Laughingstar*

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
I agree Don, but it is. I have my Temp Int Files folder sc to my desktop and
keep it virtually empty, too. Nothing's showing up to indicate why this
slowed down after installing IE 7. I've tested it by re-installing Firefox
from My Downloads icon for it, and everything's running zippy again. Almost
too fast. ;-))
Don Varnau wrote:
> Hi,
>> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system?

> I haven't found this. As PA Bear advised, when IE7 appears to be a
> memory hog, it's usually due to add-ons. If the Temporary Internet
> Files folder is set to 100 MB or less and cleared occasionally and if
> the machine is free of malware, IE7 shouldn't slow down the computer.
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "*Laughingstar*" <tiredofthis@nospam.att.com> wrote in message
>> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system? I've cleaned and
>> checked everything, still running on less than 32%, defrag not
>> needed but did it anyway, scanned disk, etc. all others, too. Still
>> running slowly. Up to date on all needed updates from MS incl. 3.
>> Thank you.

>> Don Varnau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
>>>
>>> Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
>>> third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
>>>
>>> There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
>>> http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
>>> to find some other options.
>>>
>>> Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
>>> JavaScript.

*Laughingstar*

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
see below
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> => Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> start IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> Add-ons; or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> Explorer (No add-ons).

IE is not in System Tools

> => Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> *Laughingstar* wrote:
>> one more question - does IE7 slow down the system? I've cleaned and
>> checked
>> everything, still running on less than 32%, defrag not needed but
>> did it anyway, scanned disk, etc. all others, too. Still running
>> slowly. Up to date
>> on all needed updates from MS incl. 3.
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Don Varnau wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Firefox (later versons) has its own spell checker.
>>>
>>> Spell checking on web pages/web forms with IE7 is provided by
>>> third-party programs such as ieSpell from http://www.iespell.com/
>>>
>>> There are others available- some free- some not. Go to
>>> http://www.softpedia.com and enter "spell check" in the search field
>>> to find some other options.
>>>
>>> Some web sites may provide their own spell checker/editor via
>>> JavaScript.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps,
>>> Don
>>> [MS MVP- IE]

*Laughingstar*

Re: Just downloaded IE 7 - have a question.
I went 'around' IE 7 and did find add ons in the window. But there was no
indication or buttons to remove them, nor a way to "Start IE7 without
Add-Ons" - did find this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888240/en-us