https on ie6 and 7 xp

ron

https on ie6 and 7 xp
Hi,

I can not access secure sites on one of my PC's I have tried the follow:
disabled firewalls
check access with other machines on the broadband link ok.
Check IE settings (copied machines configs that work) SSL etc
Deleted all certificates and resinstalled.
Deleted IE6 and upgraded to IE 7
Deleted IE 7 and moved back to IE6
I have run out of ideas.

Please can someone advise of a way forward. I need to access HTTPS sites
with this machine.

Thank you

--
Ron

Re: https on ie6 and 7 xp
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

Is this a sudden, new problem?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed & is your
subscription current? What anti-spyware applications? What third-party
firewall (if any)?

=================================

Troubleshooting Secure Sites
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...m#secure_sites
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

ron wrote:
> I can not access secure sites on one of my PC's I have tried the follow:
> disabled firewalls
> check access with other machines on the broadband link ok.
> Check IE settings (copied machines configs that work) SSL etc
> Deleted all certificates and resinstalled.
> Deleted IE6 and upgraded to IE 7
> Deleted IE 7 and moved back to IE6
> I have run out of ideas.
>
> Please can someone advise of a way forward. I need to access HTTPS sites
> with this machine.

ron

Re: https on ie6 and 7 xp
Thanks, Sorry this is the first time I have used the chat room. I am
running XP sp 2.

The firewall anti virus software was norton, however this has been disabled.
There is no other security software installed.

The machine was working fine, and a new version of MS office was installed.
I haved tried going back via a resore point but the it will not let me.

I was not sure if a new version of IE7 was installed with office, hence
going back to IE6.

The version of IE7 now used was down loaded from the MS site.

Thank you for your help.

The machine appears to be working fine in all other application.
--
Ron

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>
> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>
> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed & is your
> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications? What third-party
> firewall (if any)?
>
> =================================
>
> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...m#secure_sites
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> ron wrote:
> > I can not access secure sites on one of my PC's I have tried the follow:
> > disabled firewalls
> > check access with other machines on the broadband link ok.
> > Check IE settings (copied machines configs that work) SSL etc
> > Deleted all certificates and resinstalled.
> > Deleted IE6 and upgraded to IE 7
> > Deleted IE 7 and moved back to IE6
> > I have run out of ideas.
> >
> > Please can someone advise of a way forward. I need to access HTTPS sites
> > with this machine.

Re: https on ie6 and 7 xp
[This is a newsgroup, not a chat room.]

>> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...m#secure_sites

Did anything on the above pages help?

> The firewall anti virus software was norton, however this has been
> disabled.

What's the Norton application's full name and version, please (e.g., Norton
360 2008; Norton Internet Security 2005)? Why have you disabled it and how
did you do so? Is your subscription current?

Did you enable the Windows Firewall after "disabling" the Norton Firewall?

> There is no other security software installed.

Protect Your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...r/default.mspx

> The machine was working fine, and a new version of MS office was
> installed.

What "new version of MS office" did you install? Was another version of
Office installed before this one and did you uninstall it before installing
the new one?

> I haved tried going back via a resore point but the it will not let me.

Please define "it will not let [you]"? Does System Restore work if you
reboot into Safe Mode?

>>> Deleted IE6 and upgraded to IE 7
>>> Deleted IE 7 and moved back to IE6...

> I was not sure if a new version of IE7 was installed with office, hence
> going back to IE6.

No version of Office installs a new version of IE and you can't delete or
uninstall IE6 in WinXP.

I think you've got a hijackware infection on your hands, Ron.
--
~PA Bear

ron wrote:
> Thanks, Sorry this is the first time I have used the chat room. I am
> running XP sp 2.
>
> The firewall anti virus software was norton, however this has been
> disabled.
> There is no other security software installed.
>
> The machine was working fine, and a new version of MS office was
> installed.
> I haved tried going back via a resore point but the it will not let me.
>
> I was not sure if a new version of IE7 was installed with office, hence
> going back to IE6.
>
> The version of IE7 now used was down loaded from the MS site.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> The machine appears to be working fine in all other application.
>
>> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup, please.
>>
>> Is this a sudden, new problem?
>>
>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed & is your
>> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications? What third-party
>> firewall (if any)?
>>
>> =================================
>>
>> Troubleshooting Secure Sites
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870700
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813444
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive...m#secure_sites
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> ron wrote:
>>> I can not access secure sites on one of my PC's I have tried the
>>> follow:
>>> disabled firewalls
>>> check access with other machines on the broadband link ok.
>>> Check IE settings (copied machines configs that work) SSL etc
>>> Deleted all certificates and resinstalled.
>>> Deleted IE6 and upgraded to IE 7
>>> Deleted IE 7 and moved back to IE6
>>> I have run out of ideas.
>>>
>>> Please can someone advise of a way forward. I need to access HTTPS
>>> sites
>>> with this machine.

ron

Re: https on ie6 and 7 xp
Sorry for the delay, I have been trying everthing on the troubleshooting
pages and your recommendations.

I am still have the same problems. I am thinking that it will be best to
format the hard drive and rebuild the software.

Just one question before I do.

I now have the following error message coming up on bootup.

The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction CS:071e IP:011a OP: 2e
63 6f 6d 2e choose close to terminate the program. this comes up 4 times with
the same message an different hex characters each time.

in addition the message CN911.exe failed to start comes up on boot up. If
you use the seach command CN911.exe can not be found.

The machine is working fine except for the HTTPS problem, hence my
reluctance to re-build.

The Norton software is called Norton protection centre, all subsciptions are
up todate. I have diabled this in the application. Prior to this fault I
used to have the Norton suite running and the windows firewall enabled.

I have never heard of hijackware!!!

Thank you for your help.

Ron

--
Ron

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > disabled.
> > There is no other security software installed.
> >
> > The machine was working fine, and a new version of MS office was
> > installed.
> > I haved tried going back via a resore point but the it will not let me.
> >
> > I was not sure if a new version of IE7 was installed with office, hence
> > going back to IE6.
> >
> > The version of IE7 now used was down loaded from the MS site.
> >
> > Thank you for your help.
> >
> > The machine appears to be working fine in all other application.
> >
> >> Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup, please.
> >>
> >> Is this a sudden, new problem?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed & is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications? What third-party

Re: https on ie6 and 7 xp
As I originally suspected, you've got a hijackware infection on your hands.

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

NB #1: Anytime you want to upgrade a Norton application, I'd strongly
recommend (1) uninstalling the current Norton application, (2) running the
Norton Removal Tool*, (3) reboot, and then (4) install the new Norton
application.

NB #2: You do NOT want more than one firewall enabled at any given time. If
your Norton suite includes a firewall and you've not disabled it, you should
make sure the Windows Firewall is disabled.

Best of luck.

* http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039