Internet shortcuts result in IE hangups

rod. merino

Internet shortcuts result in IE hangups
Since installing IE8, uninstalling it, and installing IE7, it has become
impossible to access any pages for which I have a shortcut because IE hangs.
An error message appears which asks me to click "cancel" to debug, or "OK" to
close the program.
Very frustrating. Any ideas on how to fix this? Am running windows XP, all
updates are current; have skype (it was suggested to me this could be a
problem) turned off, and antivirus protection by Norton. Also, I can't get
system restore to fix the problem!

Thanks
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Internet shortcuts result in IE hangups
"rod. merino" <rod. merino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since installing IE8, uninstalling it, and installing IE7, it has become
> impossible to access any pages for which I have a shortcut because IE
> hangs.
> An error message appears which asks me to click "cancel" to debug, or "OK"
> close the program.
> Very frustrating. Any ideas on how to fix this? Am running windows XP,
> all
> updates are current; have skype (it was suggested to me this could be a
> problem) turned off, and antivirus protection by Norton. Also, I can't
> get
> system restore to fix the problem!
>
> Thanks

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Re: Internet shortcuts result in IE hangups
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

Was NAV running in the background when you installed IE8 Beta 2 or WinXP SP3
or when you uninstalled IE8 Beta 2?

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/