IE7 Favorites dont show

DougBH

IE7 Favorites dont show
I have windows xp. I have been using firefox, but decided to go to IE7,
which had been on my computer for a long while. When I went back to IE7, the
favorites did not show up when I select that opiton.
I have checked, and my favorites are still included in c:\documents and
settings\doug\favorites However, for some reason, IE7 is not reaching them.

I have tried going back to IE6, reloading and reinstalling IE7, and reseting
the settings under tools, but nothing seems to work.

--
DougBH
Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Favorites dont show
Hi,
Are you familiar with REGEDIT? Can you run REGEDIT and check this key to see
if the path to Favorites is correct?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders

The value for Favorites in the right pane should be
C:\Documents and Settings\doug\Favorites.
Is that correct? Let me know if you need more details regarding REGEDIT.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DougBH" <DougBH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have windows xp. I have been using firefox, but decided to go to IE7,
> which had been on my computer for a long while. When I went back to IE7,

the
> favorites did not show up when I select that opiton.
> I have checked, and my favorites are still included in c:\documents and
> settings\doug\favorites However, for some reason, IE7 is not reaching

them.

> I have tried going back to IE6, reloading and reinstalling IE7, and

reseting
> the settings under tools, but nothing seems to work.
>

> DougBH

DougBH

Re: IE7 Favorites dont show
I used REGEDIT, and it showed that the registry key was OK.
I then went to the referenced favorites folder using windows explorer. I
found that all of the subfolders (the ones containing my saved locations)
were greyed or dulled. The couple of additional locations I have recently
added were not greyed but were full intensity.
This reminds me of a similar thing that happened several weeks ago when I
used a freeware program called CCleaner. Many of the ICONS on my desktop
seemed to disappear. When I re-copied the shortcuts, it indicated that they
were still there. I replaced the invisible ICONS with the new ICONS and have
had no further problems.
I dumped CCleaner after that experience.
My guess is that this happened to the favorites subfolders at the same time.
If I don't hear further, I will try to delete the favorites subfolders using
windows explorer (is that possible in a hidden folder?). I will then import
bookmarks.html and hopfully rebuild my subfolders.
That sounds kind of risky, so if you don't think that would work or have a
better idea, please let me know. Otherwise, I will give that a try.
Thanks for the assistance re REGEDIT

--
DougBH

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Are you familiar with REGEDIT? Can you run REGEDIT and check this key to see
> if the path to Favorites is correct?
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> The value for Favorites in the right pane should be
> C:\Documents and Settings\doug\Favorites.
> Is that correct? Let me know if you need more details regarding REGEDIT.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "DougBH" <DougBH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have windows xp. I have been using firefox, but decided to go to IE7,
> > which had been on my computer for a long while. When I went back to IE7,

> the
> > favorites did not show up when I select that opiton.
> > I have checked, and my favorites are still included in c:\documents and
> > settings\doug\favorites However, for some reason, IE7 is not reaching

> them.
> >
> > I have tried going back to IE6, reloading and reinstalling IE7, and

> reseting
> > the settings under tools, but nothing seems to work.
> >

> > DougBH

DougBH

Re: IE7 Favorites dont show
I went ahead and tried what I stated in my other response to your post, i.e.
deleted all the subfolders using windows explorer and importing my
bookmark.html file. It worked fine and I have all my favorites. back.
Problem resolved.

--
DougBH

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Are you familiar with REGEDIT? Can you run REGEDIT and check this key to see
> if the path to Favorites is correct?
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Shell
> Folders
>
> The value for Favorites in the right pane should be
> C:\Documents and Settings\doug\Favorites.
> Is that correct? Let me know if you need more details regarding REGEDIT.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "DougBH" <DougBH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have windows xp. I have been using firefox, but decided to go to IE7,
> > which had been on my computer for a long while. When I went back to IE7,

> the
> > favorites did not show up when I select that opiton.
> > I have checked, and my favorites are still included in c:\documents and
> > settings\doug\favorites However, for some reason, IE7 is not reaching

> them.
> >
> > I have tried going back to IE6, reloading and reinstalling IE7, and

> reseting
> > the settings under tools, but nothing seems to work.
> >

> > DougBH

Don Varnau

Re: IE7 Favorites dont show
Hi,
Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the update.