Keep history for 0 days not getting rid of typed URLs

Alison

Keep history for 0 days not getting rid of typed URLs
I have my history setting to get rid of my history every night by setting it
to keep history for "0 days." It does get rid of my history if I open up the
history section, however, my typed URLs (the ones you can see by pressing the
down arrow next to the URL bar or by pressing F4) still appear even weeks
later, unless I clear the history manually. How come it is not clearing it
every night from the "0 days" setting? Please help.
Don Varnau

Re: Keep history for 0 days not getting rid of typed URLs
Hi,
The TypedURLs list is not a part of the IE History- it's a registry key.
I don't think you can clear it automatically without using a third-party
program.

CCleaner www.ccleaner.com can be configured to clear TypedURLs and other
data at startup.

IE Privacy Keeper: http://browsertools.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html can
be configured to clear data when IE is closed or at startup.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Alison" <Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have my history setting to get rid of my history every night by setting

it
> to keep history for "0 days." It does get rid of my history if I open up

the
> history section, however, my typed URLs (the ones you can see by pressing

the
> down arrow next to the URL bar or by pressing F4) still appear even weeks
> later, unless I clear the history manually. How come it is not clearing it
> every night from the "0 days" setting? Please help.

Alison

Re: Keep history for 0 days not getting rid of typed URLs
If its not part of IE History, how come they are erased when i delete the
browser history manually by going to the internet options menu?

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> The TypedURLs list is not a part of the IE History- it's a registry key.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=157729
> I don't think you can clear it automatically without using a third-party
> program.
>
> CCleaner www.ccleaner.com can be configured to clear TypedURLs and other
> data at startup.
>
> IE Privacy Keeper: http://browsertools.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html can
> be configured to clear data when IE is closed or at startup.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Alison" <Alison@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have my history setting to get rid of my history every night by setting

> it
> > to keep history for "0 days." It does get rid of my history if I open up

> the
> > history section, however, my typed URLs (the ones you can see by pressing

> the
> > down arrow next to the URL bar or by pressing F4) still appear even weeks
> > later, unless I clear the history manually. How come it is not clearing it
> > every night from the "0 days" setting? Please help.

Don Varnau

Re: Keep history for 0 days not getting rid of typed URLs
Hi,
Let me rewrite that...
The TypedURLs list is stored in the registry- not the IE History folder. The
"Clear History" button has been programmed to clear that list. Choosing to
keep 0 days of History does not, as you've discovered, clear that list.

Tip: Only URLs typed into the Address Bar are saved in this list. If you
type URLs in via File> Open, instead of the Address Bar, they aren't saved
in the TypedURLs key and you can keep a select few URLs in the drop-down
list.

It sounds like, once it's out of beta testing and released, you will like
IE8's Privacy Mode. I am not recommending that you install IE8 Beta 2 at
this time.