.url shows in my bookmarks

stiktech@snet.net

.url shows in my bookmarks
Hello,
Somehow I have a .url at the end of my bookmarks. I have tried what was
suggested in the Ramesh troubleshooting web site and it has not worked. I
will admit to messing up the "URL" listing in the file types.
Is there something that I can do to restore this? I can copy all my current
bookmarks and save them and delete everything and put it back, but that may
bring the problem back. I don't have that many bookmarks, so I could do this
if necessary.
Don Varnau

Re: .url shows in my bookmarks
Hi,
Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
Which version of Internet Explorer?

If the OS is XP, try the File Association fix for URL Internet Shortcut at

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"stiktech@snet.net" <stiktechsnetnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:4F2D7915-37FA-4A9B-9F63-EA62143F6C5F@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
> Somehow I have a .url at the end of my bookmarks. I have tried what was
> suggested in the Ramesh troubleshooting web site and it has not worked. I
> will admit to messing up the "URL" listing in the file types.
> Is there something that I can do to restore this? I can copy all my

current
> bookmarks and save them and delete everything and put it back, but that

may
> bring the problem back. I don't have that many bookmarks, so I could do

this
> if necessary.

stiktech@snet.net

Re: .url shows in my bookmarks
Dear Don,
Thank you for your time. I took a chance and downloaded and ran the File
Assoc. Fix for XP and it fixed the problem. I, in my zeal, forgot to add that
I have XP Pro SP2 with IE 7.x. I have not tried to add SP3 again yet as it
caused a "boot loop" from the version that is on the MS download site. But
that is another discussion area.
I did backup the registry to the desktop should it cause any issues and so
far it hasn't.
Thank you again. If only MS would take the time to have these little fixes
available then I would guess that there would be a more fixable OS for all.

"Don Varnau" wrote:
> Hi,
> Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> Which version of Internet Explorer?
>
> If the OS is XP, try the File Association fix for URL Internet Shortcut at
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "stiktech@snet.net" <stiktechsnetnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:4F2D7915-37FA-4A9B-9F63-EA62143F6C5F@microsoft.com...
> > Hello,
> > Somehow I have a .url at the end of my bookmarks. I have tried what was
> > suggested in the Ramesh troubleshooting web site and it has not worked. I
> > will admit to messing up the "URL" listing in the file types.
> > Is there something that I can do to restore this? I can copy all my

> current
> > bookmarks and save them and delete everything and put it back, but that

> may
> > bring the problem back. I don't have that many bookmarks, so I could do

> this
> > if necessary.

Don Varnau

Re: .url shows in my bookmarks
Hi,
You're welcome. Glad you got it resolved. Thanks for the update.

message news:E252069A-85D7-4244-9806-626026879DAA@microsoft.com...
> Dear Don,
> Thank you for your time. I took a chance and downloaded and ran the File
> Assoc. Fix for XP and it fixed the problem. I, in my zeal, forgot to add

that
> I have XP Pro SP2 with IE 7.x. I have not tried to add SP3 again yet as it
> caused a "boot loop" from the version that is on the MS download site. But
> that is another discussion area.
> I did backup the registry to the desktop should it cause any issues and so
> far it hasn't.
> Thank you again. If only MS would take the time to have these little fixes
> available then I would guess that there would be a more fixable OS for

all.

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Which version of Windows? (Including SP level- SP1,SP2,etc.)
> > Which version of Internet Explorer?
> >
> > If the OS is XP, try the File Association fix for URL Internet Shortcut

at
> > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

> > "stiktech@snet.net" <stiktechsnetnet@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> > message news:4F2D7915-37FA-4A9B-9F63-EA62143F6C5F@microsoft.com...
> > > Hello,
> > > Somehow I have a .url at the end of my bookmarks. I have tried what

was
> > > suggested in the Ramesh troubleshooting web site and it has not

worked. I
> > > will admit to messing up the "URL" listing in the file types.
> > > Is there something that I can do to restore this? I can copy all my

> > current
> > > bookmarks and save them and delete everything and put it back, but

that
> > may
> > > bring the problem back. I don't have that many bookmarks, so I could

do
> > this
> > > if necessary.

IE7 bookmarks Zig007 microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 11 10-17-2008 00:24
Bookmarks Mary34v Introduce Yourself 0 09-30-2008 11:15
Importing bookmarks from Firefox - error converting bookmarks Tuck1930 microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 3 09-08-2008 15:14
ie bookmarks cfwako microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 08-18-2008 00:36
bookmarks aag microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general 1 07-10-2008 19:26