Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key

Mark Mettler

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
I must say, the original reply was abrasive and unkind. IE has a problem!
Microsoft should give users an option to disable the backspace function in IE
so that it only acts as a delete. Microsoft PUT the keyboard function into
the browser; they simply did not anticipate needing to disable it. This is
because Microsoft developers can't think ahead, they are pushed to deliver.
I personally hate the backspace function! I will use FireFox as they provide
a method to disable this monstrous problem. If you lose 5 minutes of work
it's a problem, if i lose 1 minute of work it is a problem. Microsoft needs
to address the problem, not the users.
Peter Foldes

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
Feel better now ??

--
Peter

"Mark Mettler" <Mark Mettler@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3C523887-AC59-44B4-BFB4-AEFA9D063E12@microsoft.com...
>I must say, the original reply was abrasive and unkind. IE has a problem!
> Microsoft should give users an option to disable the backspace function in IE
> so that it only acts as a delete. Microsoft PUT the keyboard function into
> the browser; they simply did not anticipate needing to disable it. This is
> because Microsoft developers can't think ahead, they are pushed to deliver.
> I personally hate the backspace function! I will use FireFox as they provide
> a method to disable this monstrous problem. If you lose 5 minutes of work
> it's a problem, if i lose 1 minute of work it is a problem. Microsoft needs
> to address the problem, not the users.

Mark Mettler

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
Peter,
We all periodically feel the desire to vent, hopefully I was not unkind.
"Fix the problem; don't stand around gabbing about its cause." is something
I have said once or twice in my career. Saying, "No we make it this way,
deal with It." sounds like the old adage used by SAP. Until they changes
their attitude, their sales were suppressed. Perhaps it is time to look at
the other vendors so that “Money talks, bullsh*t walks” will catch
Microsoft’s attention. After all, the economy is down and it is time for
some competition to make things, all things, better.

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> Feel better now ??

Darren J. McLeod

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
I get this problem also and it is the most annoying thing. I want IE to
allow me to set what short cut key I want the previous page button mapped to.
Have it default to the backspace key but let the user change it to what they
want/need.

"Mark Mettler" wrote:

> I must say, the original reply was abrasive and unkind. IE has a problem!
> Microsoft should give users an option to disable the backspace function in IE
> so that it only acts as a delete. Microsoft PUT the keyboard function into
> the browser; they simply did not anticipate needing to disable it. This is
> because Microsoft developers can't think ahead, they are pushed to deliver.
> I personally hate the backspace function! I will use FireFox as they provide
> a method to disable this monstrous problem. If you lose 5 minutes of work
> it's a problem, if i lose 1 minute of work it is a problem. Microsoft needs
> to address the problem, not the users.

Richard in AZ

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
If you two like FF so well, then use it and quit bitching.
No product can ever be designed to suit every one in this world. Be realistic.
If you have some help for someone, or need help, on this news group, fine. But if all you want to
do if vent your anger, go elsewhere.

"Darren J. McLeod" <Darren J. McLeod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
|I get this problem also and it is the most annoying thing. I want IE to
| allow me to set what short cut key I want the previous page button mapped to.
| Have it default to the backspace key but let the user change it to what they
| want/need.
|
| "Mark Mettler" wrote:
|
| > I must say, the original reply was abrasive and unkind. IE has a problem!
| > Microsoft should give users an option to disable the backspace function in IE
| > so that it only acts as a delete. Microsoft PUT the keyboard function into
| > the browser; they simply did not anticipate needing to disable it. This is
| > because Microsoft developers can't think ahead, they are pushed to deliver.
| > I personally hate the backspace function! I will use FireFox as they provide
| > a method to disable this monstrous problem. If you lose 5 minutes of work
| > it's a problem, if i lose 1 minute of work it is a problem. Microsoft needs
| > to address the problem, not the users.

Darren J. McLeod

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
Hi Richard, did I say I like FF? Nope. Am I bitching? Nope. I'm making a
suggestion to improve IE. If you don't agree with my suggestion just hit the
"I Disagree" button. Also I am helping the original poster by letting him
know he is not the only one that dislikes not having control of the previous
page short cut key mapping, and being a developer myself I know this
suggestion is absolutely realistic. And lastly I suggest you practice what
you preach, but I get the feeling that's not being realistic in your case.

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

> If you two like FF so well, then use it and quit bitching.
> No product can ever be designed to suit every one in this world. Be realistic.
> If you have some help for someone, or need help, on this news group, fine. But if all you want to
> do if vent your anger, go elsewhere.
>
> "Darren J. McLeod" <Darren J. McLeod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I get this problem also and it is the most annoying thing. I want IE to
> | allow me to set what short cut key I want the previous page button mapped to.
> | Have it default to the backspace key but let the user change it to what they
> | want/need.
> |
> | "Mark Mettler" wrote:
> |
> | > I must say, the original reply was abrasive and unkind. IE has a problem!
> | > Microsoft should give users an option to disable the backspace function in IE
> | > so that it only acts as a delete. Microsoft PUT the keyboard function into
> | > the browser; they simply did not anticipate needing to disable it. This is
> | > because Microsoft developers can't think ahead, they are pushed to deliver.
> | > I personally hate the backspace function! I will use FireFox as they provide
> | > a method to disable this monstrous problem. If you lose 5 minutes of work
> | > it's a problem, if i lose 1 minute of work it is a problem. Microsoft needs
> | > to address the problem, not the users.

bdh46

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
I've had the same problem with Backspace in IE7 and am a little shocked that
the best response to this simple request for assistance is 1) "deal with it"
or 2) "use [FireFox] and quit bitching."

For many years I have been a loyal user of IE but after losing my work while
in the middle of a job application today, I have decided to switch to
FireFox--a product that seems to provide more usability options for consumers
like me.

"Richard in AZ" wrote:

> If you two like FF so well, then use it and quit bitching.
> No product can ever be designed to suit every one in this world. Be realistic.
> If you have some help for someone, or need help, on this news group, fine. But if all you want to
> do if vent your anger, go elsewhere.
>
> "Darren J. McLeod" <Darren J. McLeod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> |I get this problem also and it is the most annoying thing. I want IE to
> | allow me to set what short cut key I want the previous page button mapped to.
> | Have it default to the backspace key but let the user change it to what they
> | want/need.
> |
> | "Mark Mettler" wrote:
> |
> | > I must say, the original reply was abrasive and unkind. IE has a problem!
> | > Microsoft should give users an option to disable the backspace function in IE
> | > so that it only acts as a delete. Microsoft PUT the keyboard function into
> | > the browser; they simply did not anticipate needing to disable it. This is
> | > because Microsoft developers can't think ahead, they are pushed to deliver.
> | > I personally hate the backspace function! I will use FireFox as they provide
> | > a method to disable this monstrous problem. If you lose 5 minutes of work
> | > it's a problem, if i lose 1 minute of work it is a problem. Microsoft needs
> | > to address the problem, not the users.

Richard in AZ

Re: Lost 2 Hours of Work Because of Backspace Key
If you have a car with the headlight dimmer switch on the steering column, but wish it was back on
the floor, like cars used in the 50's, complaining about it and demanding that the car designers
change is unrealistic. Deal with it, or get a different car.

Glad you found FF fits your needs. Now use it and quit bitching.

"bdh46" <bdh46@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I've had the same problem with Backspace in IE7 and am a little shocked that
| the best response to this simple request for assistance is 1) "deal with it"
| or 2) "use [FireFox] and quit bitching."
|
| For many years I have been a loyal user of IE but after losing my work while
| in the middle of a job application today, I have decided to switch to
| FireFox--a product that seems to provide more usability options for consumers
| like me.
|
| "Richard in AZ" wrote:
|
| > If you two like FF so well, then use it and quit bitching.
| > No product can ever be designed to suit every one in this world. Be realistic.
| > If you have some help for someone, or need help, on this news group, fine. But if all you want
| > do if vent your anger, go elsewhere.
| >
| > "Darren J. McLeod" <Darren J. McLeod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > |I get this problem also and it is the most annoying thing. I want IE to
| > | allow me to set what short cut key I want the previous page button mapped to.
| > | Have it default to the backspace key but let the user change it to what they
| > | want/need.
| > |
| > |