Cannot access the Internet

Bob B

Cannot access the Internet
A very strange problem!!

My friends XP computer with IE7 would not access the Internet as it was
infected with a virus. The viruses were removed but he still can't access
the Internet EXCEPT in safe mode with networking enabled.

It would seem a software conflict might be occuring when in normal mode so I
have used msconfig to disable all the items in the 'services' tab

This did not work so I disabled all the items in the 'startup' section but
still it wont connect to the internet

I have tried the diagonostic startup in msconfig and still no joy

I have also installed Firefox and that also wont connect to the internet.

I have Reset all Settings in Internet Explorer

No problem with Outlook Express.. that works fine!

What else can I try ?

Bob

Leonard Grey

Re: Cannot access the Internet
Contact your ISP.

You're sure this virus was removed, right?
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Bob B wrote:
> A very strange problem!!
>
> My friends XP computer with IE7 would not access the Internet as it was
> infected with a virus. The viruses were removed but he still can't access
> the Internet EXCEPT in safe mode with networking enabled.
>
> It would seem a software conflict might be occuring when in normal mode so I
> have used msconfig to disable all the items in the 'services' tab
>
> This did not work so I disabled all the items in the 'startup' section but
> still it wont connect to the internet
>
> I have tried the diagonostic startup in msconfig and still no joy
>
> I have also installed Firefox and that also wont connect to the internet.
>
> I have Reset all Settings in Internet Explorer
>
> No problem with Outlook Express.. that works fine!
>
> What else can I try ?
>
> Bob

Re: Cannot access the Internet
Chances are you have much more work to do.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Bob B wrote:
> A very strange problem!!
>
> My friends XP computer with IE7 would not access the Internet as it was
> infected with a virus. The viruses were removed but he still can't access
> the Internet EXCEPT in safe mode with networking enabled.
>
> It would seem a software conflict might be occuring when in normal mode so
> have used msconfig to disable all the items in the 'services' tab
>
> This did not work so I disabled all the items in the 'startup' section but
> still it wont connect to the internet
>
> I have tried the diagonostic startup in msconfig and still no joy
>
> I have also installed Firefox and that also wont connect to the internet.
>
> I have Reset all Settings in Internet Explorer
>
> No problem with Outlook Express.. that works fine!
>
> What else can I try ?
>
> Bob

Bob B

Re: Cannot access the Internet
Thank you for your replies and I have now carried out many of the suggestion
but no joy so far.

I just can't get my head around that I can move around the web (fast) using
Internet Explorer and Firefox in safe mode with network enabled but can not
in normal mode. Although I can in normal mode use outlook express without
any problem!!

Do you think I should reinstal windows XP over the existing programme?

Bob

> Chances are you have much more work to do.

> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
> log to an appropriate forum.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/

> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
> (in conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>
> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair shop.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Bob B wrote:
>> A very strange problem!!
>>
>> My friends XP computer with IE7 would not access the Internet as it was
>> infected with a virus. The viruses were removed but he still can't access
>> the Internet EXCEPT in safe mode with networking enabled.
>>
>> It would seem a software conflict might be occuring when in normal mode
>> so I
>> have used msconfig to disable all the items in the 'services' tab
>>
>> This did not work so I disabled all the items in the 'startup' section
>> but
>> still it wont connect to the internet
>>
>> I have tried the diagonostic startup in msconfig and still no joy
>>
>> I have also installed Firefox and that also wont connect to the internet.
>>
>> I have Reset all Settings in Internet Explorer
>>
>> No problem with Outlook Express.. that works fine!
>>
>> What else can I try ?
>>
>> Bob

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your replies and I have now carried out many of the
> suggestion but no joy so far.
>
> I just can't get my head around that I can move around the web (fast)
> using Internet Explorer and Firefox in safe mode with network enabled but
> can not in normal mode. Although I can in normal mode use outlook express
> without any problem!!
>
> Do you think I should reinstal windows XP over the existing programme?

This means that something on your computer runs in Normal mode but not Safe
Mode. Reinstalling Windows over itself won't help. You must find the
interfering software and get rid of it.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Bob B

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Thank you for your replies and I have now carried out many of the
>> suggestion but no joy so far.
>>
>> I just can't get my head around that I can move around the web (fast)
>> using Internet Explorer and Firefox in safe mode with network enabled but
>> can not in normal mode. Although I can in normal mode use outlook express
>> without any problem!!
>>
>> Do you think I should reinstal windows XP over the existing programme?

> This means that something on your computer runs in Normal mode but not
> Safe Mode. Reinstalling Windows over itself won't help. You must find
> the interfering software and get rid of it.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

I agree but as far as I can make up I have disabled every possibility using
msconfig when in normal mode... cant think what else to stop. I have noticed
the windows firewall can't be switched on and am now wondering if another
firewall has been installed and I have not found it. I will look again !! I
also remember their was a couple of programmes that refused to be switched
off in msconfig as it they said they was in use !! might try again but this
time when in safe mode. Then try to start in normal mode. Just thinking as I
write this reply !

Re: Cannot access the Internet
Please give us a link to the forum thread where you've posted your
HijackThis log for review by an expert in such matters.

Bob B wrote:
> Thank you for your replies and I have now carried out many of the
> suggestion
> but no joy so far.
>
> I just can't get my head around that I can move around the web (fast)
> using
> Internet Explorer and Firefox in safe mode with network enabled but can
> not
> in normal mode. Although I can in normal mode use outlook express without
> any problem!!
>
> Do you think I should reinstal windows XP over the existing programme?
>> Chances are you have much more work to do.
>>
>> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>>
>> Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting your hijackthis
>> log to an appropriate forum.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
>> http://wiki.castlecops.com/Malware_R...:_Introduction
>> http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>>
>> When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2
>> (http://aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.exe) is the preferred tool to use
>> (in conjunction with some other utilities). HijackThis will NOT fix
>> anything on its own, but it will help you to both identify and remove any
>> hijackware/spyware with assistance from an expert. **Post your log to
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>
>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>> shop.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Bob B wrote:
>>> A very strange problem!!
>>>
>>> My friends XP computer with IE7 would not access the Internet as it was
>>> infected with a virus. The viruses were removed but he still can't
>>> access
>>> the Internet EXCEPT in safe mode with networking enabled.
>>>
>>> It would seem a software conflict might be occuring when in normal mode
>>> so I
>>> have used msconfig to disable all the items in the 'services' tab
>>>
>>> This did not work so I disabled all the items in the 'startup' section
>>> but
>>> still it wont connect to the internet
>>>
>>> I have tried the diagonostic startup in msconfig and still no joy
>>>
>>> I have also installed Firefox and that also wont connect to the
>>> internet.
>>>
>>> I have Reset all Settings in Internet Explorer
>>>
>>> No problem with Outlook Express.. that works fine!
>>>
>>> What else can I try ?
>>>
>>> Bob

Bob B

Re: Cannot access the Internet
As I cant connect to the internet through the browsers I have not send the
Hijack log ot anybody. I will get a copy and post it on here as soon as
possible

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm

>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30, or another appropriate forum for
>>> review by an expert in such matters, not here.**
>>>
>>> If the procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA or Geek Squad) computer repair
>>> shop.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Cannot access the Internet
You will have to use another, functional machine to post to the forum,
obviously.

Bob B wrote:
> As I cant connect to the internet through the browsers I have not send the
> Hijack log ot anybody. I will get a copy and post it on here as soon as
> possible

>> Please give us a link to the forum thread where you've posted your
>> HijackThis log for review by an expert in such matters.
>>
>> Bob B wrote:
>>> Thank you for your replies and I have now carried out many of the
>>> suggestion
>>> but no joy so far.
>>>
>>> I just can't get my head around that I can move around the web (fast)
>>> using
>>> Internet Explorer and Firefox in safe mode with network enabled but can
>>> not
>>> in normal mode. Although I can in normal mode use outlook express
>>> without
>>> any problem!!
>>>
>>> Do you think I should reinstal windows XP over the existing programme?

Bob B

Re: Cannot access the Internet
Silly me !! Actually I can connect to the Internet but only in safe mode !!