ie7 Install Problem

mcblow

ie7 Install Problem
Hi
I am no computer expert, so please bear with me... I was working with ie6
and decided I should upgrade to the latest version of ie. The first thing to
jump off the Microsoft site was 'ie8 - Download now!', so I did. No
indication was given to us regular joe's who don't know that Beta is 'in
development'. Anyway, it worked fine until I went to RBS online banking. They
don't recognise ie8 as a browser. So I tried to install ie7. No joy, because
it detected a 'newer version'. Do I need to uninstall ie8, and start all over
again with favourites, settings etc.? Surely I should be able to just
download ie7? Please forgive my lack of browser savvy! I could lecture you on
CS3, but don't ask me anything about browsers!
Thanks!
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: ie7 Install Problem
"mcblow" <mcblow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am no computer expert, so please bear with me... I was working with ie6
> and decided I should upgrade to the latest version of ie. The first thing
> jump off the Microsoft site was 'ie8 - Download now!', so I did. No
> indication was given to us regular joe's who don't know that Beta is 'in
> development'. Anyway, it worked fine until I went to RBS online banking.
> They
> don't recognise ie8 as a browser. So I tried to install ie7. No joy,
> because
> it detected a 'newer version'. Do I need to uninstall ie8, and start all
> over
> again with favourites, settings etc.? Surely I should be able to just
> download ie7? Please forgive my lack of browser savvy! I could lecture you
> on
> CS3, but don't ask me anything about browsers!
> Thanks!

Uninstalling IE8 will return you to IE6, then you can install IE7, which RBS
should accept.

How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: ie7 Install Problem
"mcblow" <mcblow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A5C9BAB-CC3F-4EFB-856C-6ACC2AE090C1@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> I am no computer expert, so please bear with me... I was working with ie6
> and decided I should upgrade to the latest version of ie. The first thing to
> jump off the Microsoft site was 'ie8 - Download now!', so I did. No
> indication was given to us regular joe's who don't know that Beta is 'in
> development'.

> Anyway, it worked fine until I went to RBS online banking. They
> don't recognise ie8 as a browser.

Did you try using Compatibility mode in IE8?
Another alternative would be to use the User-Agent picker tool.

BTW best to use the IE Beta NG and report problems with it there.
Unfortunately some IE8 documentation still points users here instead.

> So I tried to install ie7. No joy, because it detected a 'newer version'.

> Do I need to uninstall ie8,

If you can't spoof a User-Agent to the satisfaction of your
problem site, yes.

> and start all over again with favourites, settings etc.?
> Surely I should be able to just download ie7?

No. Uninstalling IE8 reverts you to whatever version of IE you
were previously using. So, for example, if you were previously
using IE7 you would have it back just by uninstalling IE8.
If you never had IE7 installed you would have to install it over IE6.

> Please forgive my lack of browser savvy! I could lecture you on
> CS3, but don't ask me anything about browsers!
> Thanks!

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---