Can ping sites but can't browse them

Stuart

Can ping sites but can't browse them
I have a dell Vostro running Vista and I.E. 7. recently updated to I.E.8
beta 2. Everything fine until 2 days ago when I started getting 'cannot
display page' errors when I browse.

I can browse on another laptop connected to the same cable modem. I ran
through the full Dell troubleshoot process. Including resetting IP
addresses, sock releases etc. Rolled back to I.E. 7, browsed OK for 2 mins
then same thing. Installed Firefox, same issue.

Finally reimaged the machine. Booted up, browsed for about 2 mins then the
same thing. Can ping, it picks up updates, but no browsing.
Don Varnau

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
Hi,
Have you tried disabling all browser add-ons?

What third-party security programs are running?

Has the machine been checked for malware?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a dell Vostro running Vista and I.E. 7. recently updated to I.E.8
> beta 2. Everything fine until 2 days ago when I started getting 'cannot
> display page' errors when I browse.
>
> I can browse on another laptop connected to the same cable modem. I ran
> through the full Dell troubleshoot process. Including resetting IP
> addresses, sock releases etc. Rolled back to I.E. 7, browsed OK for 2

mins
> then same thing. Installed Firefox, same issue.
>
> Finally reimaged the machine. Booted up, browsed for about 2 mins then

the
> same thing. Can ping, it picks up updates, but no browsing.

Stuart

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
It was running windows OneCare, when I reimaged it reverted to Norton
Antivirus (I have tried disabling the firewall.)

Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?

What would be my next step (other than crying)

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> Have you tried disabling all browser add-ons?
>
> What third-party security programs are running?
>
> Has the machine been checked for malware?
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a dell Vostro running Vista and I.E. 7. recently updated to I.E.8
> > beta 2. Everything fine until 2 days ago when I started getting 'cannot
> > display page' errors when I browse.
> >
> > I can browse on another laptop connected to the same cable modem. I ran
> > through the full Dell troubleshoot process. Including resetting IP
> > addresses, sock releases etc. Rolled back to I.E. 7, browsed OK for 2

> mins
> > then same thing. Installed Firefox, same issue.
> >
> > Finally reimaged the machine. Booted up, browsed for about 2 mins then

> the
> > same thing. Can ping, it picks up updates, but no browsing.

Don Varnau

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
Hi,
> Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?

Depends on where the image came from.
- - -
Start IE7 without add-ons from:
Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
or
Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)

If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
For troubleshooting information see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426

More at:
Problem: Crashes or hangs
http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
- - -
You might as well try a reset...
With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
passwords and you will have to reinstall browser add-ons, work through this
article:
936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us
- - -
Next... I would reinstall One care then uninstall Norton and run the removal
tool
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...=hho& src=hot

> It was running windows OneCare, when I reimaged it reverted to Norton
> Antivirus (I have tried disabling the firewall.)
>
> Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?
>
> What would be my next step (other than crying)

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Have you tried disabling all browser add-ons?
> >
> > What third-party security programs are running?
> >
> > Has the machine been checked for malware?
> >
> > Don
> > [MS MVP- IE]

> > "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a dell Vostro running Vista and I.E. 7. recently updated to

I.E.8
> > > beta 2. Everything fine until 2 days ago when I started getting

'cannot
> > > display page' errors when I browse.
> > >
> > > I can browse on another laptop connected to the same cable modem. I

ran
> > > through the full Dell troubleshoot process. Including resetting IP
> > > addresses, sock releases etc. Rolled back to I.E. 7, browsed OK for 2

> > mins
> > > then same thing. Installed Firefox, same issue.
> > >
> > > Finally reimaged the machine. Booted up, browsed for about 2 mins

then
> > the
> > > same thing. Can ping, it picks up updates, but no browsing.

Stuart

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
Don,

Thanks for getting back to me, tried those steps and still no dice. Image
is from the Dell Reimage application (it's a partition on the drive that is
pre-set with the factory install image.)

This is getting so frustrating, guess my next step is to do a full
reinstall from the system disks.

I'm sure there is something that I am missing though...

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> Hi,
> > Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?

> Depends on where the image came from.
> - - -
> Start IE7 without add-ons from:
> Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> or
> Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
>
> If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on installed.
> For troubleshooting information see:
> 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an add-on
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
>
> More at:
> Problem: Crashes or hangs
> http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>
> Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked questions:
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
> - - -
> You might as well try a reset...
> With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> passwords and you will have to reinstall browser add-ons, work through this
> article:
> 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> - - -
> Next... I would reinstall One care then uninstall Norton and run the removal
> tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/Support...=hho& src=hot
>
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It was running windows OneCare, when I reimaged it reverted to Norton
> > Antivirus (I have tried disabling the firewall.)
> >
> > Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?
> >
> > What would be my next step (other than crying)

> > "Don Varnau" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > Have you tried disabling all browser add-ons?
> > >
> > > What third-party security programs are running?
> > >
> > > Has the machine been checked for malware?
> > >
> > > Don
> > > [MS MVP- IE]

> > > "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I.E.8

> 'cannot

> ran
> > > mins

> then
> > > the

Don Varnau

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
Hi,
Re: reimage... Yes, if you restored to out of the box state you ruled out
malware.

You've reset the modem and router (if applicable?)

Did you reinstall all applicable updates (IE> Tools> Windows update) after
the reimage?

It sounds like a program running in the background engages in sometype of
activity after about 2 minutes of browsing.
From Start> Run> (type in) msconfig
Hit Enter or OK
Go to the Startup tab.
Look over the list, ignore items from Microsoft.
Anything unnecessary loading at startup?
Do a web search on unknown items.
Uncheck unnecessary items and restart.
Does the problem go away?

newsDBF2DF2-D6D9-41A2-A862-8D09A6C02157@microsoft.com...
> Don,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me, tried those steps and still no dice. Image
> is from the Dell Reimage application (it's a partition on the drive that

is
> pre-set with the factory install image.)
>
> This is getting so frustrating, guess my next step is to do a full
> reinstall from the system disks.
>
> I'm sure there is something that I am missing though...

> "Don Varnau" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > > Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?

> > Depends on where the image came from.
> > - - -
> > Start IE7 without add-ons from:
> > Right-click the IE icon on the desktop. Choose Start without add-ons.
> > or
> > Programs> Accessories> System tools> Internet Explorer (no add-ons)
> >
> > If the problem goes away, you have an incompatible browser add-on

installed.
> > For troubleshooting information see:
> > 928426- Internet Explorer 7 may exit immediately when it includes an

add-on
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928426
> >
> > More at:
> > Problem: Crashes or hangs
> > http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> >
> > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >
> > Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked

questions:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
> > - - -
> > You might as well try a reset...
> > With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > passwords and you will have to reinstall browser add-ons, work through

this
> > article:
> > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> > - - -
> > Next... I would reinstall One care then uninstall Norton and run the

removal
> > tool

http://service1.symantec.com/Support...=hho& src=hot

> > "Stuart" <Stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > It was running windows OneCare, when I reimaged it reverted to Norton
> > > Antivirus (I have tried disabling the firewall.)
> > >
> > > Shouldn't reimaging remove any malware and remove browser add-ons?
> > >
> > > What would be my next step (other than crying)

> > I.E.8

> > 'cannot

> > ran

IP

for 2

> > then

Stuart

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
Thanks for the next steps. I am pretty sure that it is not the modem or
router as I have another notebook which is fine.

I have left it running a total re-install this morning and will then try
running through the steps you suggest.

"Don Varnau" wrote:

> [...]

> > > Problem: Crashes or hangs
> > > http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> > >
> > > IEBlog Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> > > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> > >
> > > Windows Vista Help- Internet Explorer add-ons frequently asked

> questions:
> > >

> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...f9b7e1033.mspx
> > > - - -
> > > You might as well try a reset...
> > > With the warning that a reset will delete autocomplete data, such as
> > > passwords and you will have to reinstall browser add-ons, work through

> this
> > > article:
> > > 936213- How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213/en-us
> > > - - -
> > > Next... I would reinstall One care then uninstall Norton and run the

Robert Brown

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
Has anyone found what caused this and how to recover?

I'm having the same issue with another PC. And I'm actually running in safe
mode right now with networking support posting this response. I'm running
the latest AVG 8 in command line mode and waiting for it to finish and hoping
it finds something.

I hope someone out there has found a solution and what app got past my
defenses.

Thanks

Stuart

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
I have actually now resolved this issue. Rebuilt machine from disks (a
nightmare in itself due to vista install hanging on various occasions)

Then installed latest updates for all drivers. And hard reset router,
reinstalling from scratch.

It is possible that this is conincidence and that the issue was at my ISP as
I took about 4 days to get the OS back on the notebook.

"Robert Brown" wrote:

> Has anyone found what caused this and how to recover?
>
> I'm having the same issue with another PC. And I'm actually running in safe
> mode right now with networking support posting this response. I'm running
> the latest AVG 8 in command line mode and waiting for it to finish and hoping
> it finds something.
>
> I hope someone out there has found a solution and what app got past my
> defenses.
>
> Thanks

Robert Brown

Re: Can ping sites but can't browse them
AVG 8 with spyware/malware/firewall activated helped recover from what just
AVG 8's AV alone couldn't. All is well again after a full day working on the
problem.