Java not working IE7

Keith

Java not working IE7
I have IE7 build 7.0.5730.13 and tried to use Chat-online at Enterprise car
rental. It said I had to download and install Java 7 which I did and it told
me that it installed successfully. However, IE still tells me I have to
download Java7 even after rebooting computer. The same Java based chat-line
website works fine in Firefox 3.
Donald Anadell

Re: Java not working IE7

"Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have IE7 build 7.0.5730.13 and tried to use Chat-online at Enterprise car
> rental. It said I had to download and install Java 7 which I did and it
> told
> me that it installed successfully. However, IE still tells me I have to
> download Java7 even after rebooting computer. The same Java based
> chat-line
> website works fine in Firefox 3.

Hi,

To begin with, there is no such thing as "Java7". Do you mean to say "Java
6 Update 7"?

I took a look at the chat function at "Enterprise car Rental", if Java is
not detected then you should be getting the following alert message
according to there source code:

Alert Message: "This browser does not support Java or its use is currently
disabled. You can download free Java software from http://www.java.com. You
may be able to enable Java by lowering your browser security level."

I don't see anything in that alert message about "Java7".

You might try the following to correct your problem.

Uninstall all version(s) of Sun Java that are installed on your machine
using the Add||Remove programs applet.

Then go to the following Sun site and download the latest version of their
JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to your desktop:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

"Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10"

File name:
"jre-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe"

Use this file to reinstall the Sun JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to your
machine.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Keith

Re: Java not working IE7
Donald, thank you for the response! You're right...it is java6 Update 7.
The only error I get is that it tells me that i don't have Java installed!
Even after I installed it, it doesn't find it but Firefox does. This is the
list of Java installed on my puter:
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
Java(TM) 6 Update2
Java(TM) 6 Update 7
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

SO...you think I ought to delete all the Java related stuff here in the list
and just install the latest? Why does it keep all the older versions I
wonder? Thanks.

Keith

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have IE7 build 7.0.5730.13 and tried to use Chat-online at Enterprise car
> > rental. It said I had to download and install Java 7 which I did and it
> > told
> > me that it installed successfully. However, IE still tells me I have to
> > download Java7 even after rebooting computer. The same Java based
> > chat-line
> > website works fine in Firefox 3.

> Hi,
>
> To begin with, there is no such thing as "Java7". Do you mean to say "Java
> 6 Update 7"?
>
> I took a look at the chat function at "Enterprise car Rental", if Java is
> not detected then you should be getting the following alert message
> according to there source code:
>
> Alert Message: "This browser does not support Java or its use is currently
> disabled. You can download free Java software from http://www.java.com. You
> may be able to enable Java by lowering your browser security level."
>
> I don't see anything in that alert message about "Java7".
>
> You might try the following to correct your problem.
>
> Uninstall all version(s) of Sun Java that are installed on your machine
> using the Add||Remove programs applet.
>
> Then go to the following Sun site and download the latest version of their
> JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to your desktop:
>
> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
>
> "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10"
>
> File name:
> "jre-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe"
>
> Use this file to reinstall the Sun JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to your
> machine.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: Java not working IE7
You may want to check in IE7...Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab
scroll down to Java and make sure the box is checked.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

> Donald, thank you for the response! You're right...it is java6 Update 7.
> The only error I get is that it tells me that i don't have Java installed!
> Even after I installed it, it doesn't find it but Firefox does. This is
> the
> list of Java installed on my puter:
> J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
> J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
> J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
> J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
> Java(TM) 6 Update2
> Java(TM) 6 Update 7
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
>
> SO...you think I ought to delete all the Java related stuff here in the
> list
> and just install the latest?

Yes, uninstall all those versions of the Java Runtime Environment including
"Java(TM) 6 Update 7". Update 7 of the JRE is a secure version of Java but
it's not the latest released version. Update 10 is the latest released
version of the JRE. Refer to my last post for details on which package to
download and install from the Sun link I supplied.

When you are finish you should have only one instance of the JRE listed in
your Add||Remove Programs list..."Java(TM) 6 Update 10".
Open the Java Applet from the Control Panel and click on the Advanced tab,
under the item "Default Java for browsers" make sure there is a checkmark
next to both "Microsoft Internet Explorer" and "Mozilla family"

>Why does it keep all the older versions I
> wonder?

The Sun Java setup program has never removed older version during install,
you must remove older version(s) manually before installing newer versions.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

Thanks.

> Keith
>

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have IE7 build 7.0.5730.13 and tried to use Chat-online at Enterprise
>> >car
>> > rental. It said I had to download and install Java 7 which I did and
>> > it
>> > told
>> > me that it installed successfully. However, IE still tells me I have
>> > download Java7 even after rebooting computer. The same Java based
>> > chat-line
>> > website works fine in Firefox 3.

>> Hi,
>>
>> To begin with, there is no such thing as "Java7". Do you mean to say
>> "Java
>> 6 Update 7"?
>>
>> I took a look at the chat function at "Enterprise car Rental", if Java is
>> not detected then you should be getting the following alert message
>> according to there source code:
>>
>> Alert Message: "This browser does not support Java or its use is
>> currently
>> disabled. You can download free Java software from http://www.java.com.
>> You
>> may be able to enable Java by lowering your browser security level."
>>
>> I don't see anything in that alert message about "Java7".
>>
>> You might try the following to correct your problem.
>>
>> Uninstall all version(s) of Sun Java that are installed on your machine
>> using the Add||Remove programs applet.
>>
>> Then go to the following Sun site and download the latest version of
>> their
>> JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to your desktop:
>>
>> http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
>>
>> "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 10"
>>
>> File name:
>> "jre-6u10-windows-i586-p.exe"
>>
>> Use this file to reinstall the Sun JRE(Java Runtime Environment) to your
>> machine.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell

Keith

Re: Java not working IE7
Donald,

I did exactly as you said, word for word...it just won't detect Java in
IE7! I removed all the occurrences in Add/Remove, downloaded the newest
version as suggested, installed, (successful installation), rebooted
computer, checked the Java in Control panel made sure Monzilla and IE were
both checked...but...it still doesn't detect Java in IE. This is not a big
deal because I can still use it in Firefox but I don't know what else to try
in IE?

> Donald,
>
> I did exactly as you said, word for word...it just won't detect Java
> in
> IE7! I removed all the occurrences in Add/Remove, downloaded the newest
> version as suggested, installed, (successful installation), rebooted
> computer, checked the Java in Control panel made sure Monzilla and IE were
> both checked...but...it still doesn't detect Java in IE. This is not a
> big
> deal because I can still use it in Firefox but I don't know what else to
> try
> in IE?

Running out of ideas myself, did you do as Rob Giordano suggested in this
thread?

Click on Tools||Internet Options||Advanced

Make sure there is a checkmark in the box next to "Use JRE 1.6.0_10 for
<applet> (requires restart)".

Otherwise you might want to look at any third party security apps, ad
blocker apps...etc.. you have installed that might have a setting that is
set to block Java.

Sorry I don't have anything else to offer.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Donald, thank you for the response! You're right...it is java6 Update
>> > 7.
>> > The only error I get is that it tells me that i don't have Java
>> > installed!
>> > Even after I installed it, it doesn't find it but Firefox does. This
>> > is
>> > the
>> > list of Java installed on my puter:
>> > J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
>> > J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 11
>> > J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 3
>> > J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
>> > Java(TM) 6 Update2
>> > Java(TM) 6 Update 7
>> > Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
>> >
>> > SO...you think I ought to delete all the Java related stuff here in the
>> > list
>> > and just install the latest?

>> Yes, uninstall all those versions of the Java Runtime Environment
>> including
>> "Java(TM) 6 Update 7". Update 7 of the JRE is a secure version of Java
>> but
>> it's not the latest released version. Update 10 is the latest released
>> version of the JRE. Refer to my last post for details on which package
>> download and install from the Sun link I supplied.
>>
>> When you are finish you should have only one instance of the JRE listed
>> in
>> your Add||Remove Programs list..."Java(TM) 6 Update 10".
>> Open the Java Applet from the Control Panel and click on the Advanced
>> tab,
>> under the item "Default Java for browsers" make sure there is a checkmark
>> next to both "Microsoft Internet Explorer" and "Mozilla family"
>>
>> >Why does it keep all the older versions I
>> > wonder?

>> The Sun Java setup program has never removed older version during
>> install,
>> you must remove older version(s) manually before installing newer
>> versions.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>
>> Thanks.
>> >
>> > Keith

Keith

Re: Java not working IE7
Ok, I couldn't even reply to you guys this time in IE7 even after rebooting!
It just wouldn't finish bringing up the reply window. And yes, I looked
where Rob suggested and all the check marks are where they're supposed to be.
I even deleted my cache and cookies to no avail! I must have another issue
somewhere on my computer...good thing I have Firefox installed...at least it
seems to be working ok. Thanks guys for all your help!
Keith

> Ok, I couldn't even reply to you guys this time in IE7 even after
> rebooting!
> It just wouldn't finish bringing up the reply window. And yes, I looked
> where Rob suggested and all the check marks are where they're supposed to
> be.
> I even deleted my cache and cookies to no avail! I must have another
> issue
> somewhere on my computer...good thing I have Firefox installed...at least
> it
> seems to be working ok. Thanks guys for all your help!

You're welcome,

There is one other area you can take a look at. Make sure the ActiveX
control for the Java Browser Applet Control is enabled.

Click on Tools||Manage Addon-ons||Enable or Disable Add-ons

Since you've now installed the Latest JRE, which is Java(TM) 6 Update 10,
make sure the following item is enabled in Manage Add-ons:

Name:Web Browser Applet Control
Type: ActiveX Control
File: jp2iexp.dll

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Keith
>

> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You may want to check in IE7...Tools | Internet Options | Advanced tab
>> scroll down to Java and make sure the box is checked.
>>

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Rob Giordano
>> Microsoft MVP Expression
>>

>> "Keith" <Keith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have IE7 build 7.0.5730.13 and tried to use Chat-online at Enterprise
>> > car
>> > rental. It said I had to download and install Java 7 which I did and
>> > it
>> > told
>> > me that it installed successfully. However, IE still tells me I have
>> > download Java7 even after rebooting computer. The same Java based
>> > chat-line
>> > website works fine in Firefox 3.

Keith

Re: Java not working IE7
Hey Donald,

Your the man! That did it! Active X Control was set to disabled!
Thank you, thank you! I was about to give up...and, I seem to be able to
reply again in IE7...imagine that?

Keith