Options greyed out

Heiji1412

Options greyed out
Hi~

I was told to post here,

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...6-6d4ce1c1a090

Can anyone help?
Kayman

Re: Options greyed out
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 04:03:01 -0700, Heiji1412 wrote:

> Hi~
> I'm using IE7. Recently I can't save web pages with IE, because the
> option is greyed out, along with work offline, show menu bar and some others.
> I have tried,
> Emptying the browser cache,
> Resetting security settings,
> Enabling, then disabling Content Control,
> And resetting IE from Tools > Internet Options > Advanced Tab
> None of this worked, any suggestions?
> Can anyone help?

Some malwares can disable options like these.

1.Click Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type cleanmgr, and then
click OK. Select your drive (presumably WinXP (C and click OK.

1a. Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

2.Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

3.SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.
How do you boot to Safe Mode?
By pressing/tabbing F8 (or F5 on some keyboards) during re-boot.
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Start your computer in safe mode (Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE: Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora
before posting a HJT log and read the 'stickies'
(instructions/guidelines) for the respective HJT forum.

5.To flush your System Restore after doing these cleaning steps.
Do this:
Right click 'My Computer' icon and select Properties from the drop down
list.
On the system Properties click on System Restore Tab and [check] the box
'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.
Click 'Apply' then click 'OK'.

Reboot.

Right click 'My Computer' icon and select Properties from the drop down
list.
On the system Properties click on System Restore Tab and [uncheck] the box
'Turn off System Restore on all drives'.

Note: ensure that under 'Available drives' the Status of Drive does show
'Monitoring'.
And then manually create a Restore point.
Go to:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx
And scroll down to: Create a Restore Point.

6.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Good luck
Heiji1412

Re: Options greyed out
I should've mentioned this, one MS MVP user told me to post this,

IE7 Version 7.0.5730.11

Windows XP (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300 : Service Pack 2)

Favorites all working,
Home button all working,
Print options are greyed out, with a separator after Print Preview,
Page Button, only New Window, View Source and Web Page Privacy Policy works,
everything else is greyed out,
Tools Button, Work Offline, Full Screen and Menu Bar is greyed out,
Help button is all fine.

Shortcuts still work, including all the greyed out commands, and Windows
Update seems to working just fine, so not a big issue, still, I'd like it to
be fixed. is there a way to wipe IE and start fresh? Should I try IE8?

I've scanned with Kaspersky 2009 and an online version of Panda Security,
both came up clean, I haven't tried any malware ones.
Kayman

Re: Options greyed out
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 00:19:01 -0700, Heiji1412 wrote:

> I should've mentioned this, one MS MVP user told me to post this,
>
> IE7 Version 7.0.5730.11
>
> Windows XP (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300 : Service Pack 2)
>
> Favorites all working,
> Home button all working,
> Print options are greyed out, with a separator after Print Preview,
> Page Button, only New Window, View Source and Web Page Privacy Policy works,
> everything else is greyed out,
> Tools Button, Work Offline, Full Screen and Menu Bar is greyed out,
> Help button is all fine.
>
> Shortcuts still work, including all the greyed out commands, and Windows
> Update seems to working just fine, so not a big issue, still, I'd like it to
> be fixed.
> Is there a way to wipe IE and start fresh?

Yes, there is, but try this first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and

No luck?

To uninstall IE 7 (which returns you to IE 6) follow these directions:

Start, Settings, Control Panel then click Add or Remove Programs, locate
IE7 and uninstall it.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177

Then:
Read this *before* installing IE7:
Sandi's Installation Tips: 1 thru 8, 10 and 11, note 12 that's it.

Do not use Automatic/Windows Update for downloading/installing IE7!

Use this link instead:
Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP:

Save the program to your desktop then install.

Activate Windows Update after installing IE7 to download/install pertinent
updates offered, including Root Certificates updates.

> Should I try IE8?

No, definitely not! IE8 is still in beta and has not yet been released!

> I've scanned with Kaspersky 2009 and an online version of Panda Security,
> both came up clean, I haven't tried any malware ones.

FYI:
On-line scanners are the most unsafe and next to useless. Because by the
time you've started your infected Windows and connected to the
Internet via this infected code base, and start to look for scanning sites
through infected DNS, you are almost certain to have the malware
perfectly positioned to overrule your attempts to clean it.
What happens if active malware is found? Don't expect that the on-line
scanner will do anything about it. Most of them are just just marketing
tools for selling you their products. Quite often, malware removal on the
NT based OS (Win 2K and XP) is far from easy. Sometimes a (good) resident
AV can deal with it in Safe Mode.

Other reasons to stay away from on'line scanners are:
1. You have to use IE on very low security setting - ActiveX is required.
2. Many users will lower security in the Internet Zone to use the service
and then forget to set the Internet Zone back to highest possible security
- which is the only way that IE should be set.

David H. Lipman's Multi-AV and some 'other' stand-alone AV tools are
*impressively better and safer*, because you don't have to be on-line to
use them (they have no dependencies on using a web browser to perform their
function), and they can be used in Safe Mode.

Download David's MULTI_AV.EXE directly:
http://www.pctip.ch/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
--or--
http://212.98.39.7/ds/28400/28470/Multi_AV.exe
--or--
from URL:
http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/...irus-for-free/

NOTE: You may have to disable your software FireWall or allow WGET.EXE to
go through your FireWall to allow it to download the needed AV vendor
related files.

When the menu is displayed hitting 'H' or 'h' will bring up a more
comprehensive PDF help file.

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

NOTE: To use this utility, perform the following...
Execute; Multi_AV.exe {Note: You must use the default folder C:\AV-CLS}
Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT
{or Double-click on 'Start Menu' in C:\AV-CLS}

Other quality Standalone Malware Scanners are:
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware

Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners), thus they need to be re-downloaded every
time there's an update.

It's safer still if you can avoid running any code from the infected system
at all, and that can be done by working from Bart CDR boot.
But that means having a clean system to build the Bart disk, and more to
the point, a fair bit of effort and technical fiddling.

Bart's Preinstalled Environment (BartPE) bootable live windows CD/DVD
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/
Heiji1412

Re: Options greyed out
I've already tried RIES beforehand, still didn't work, I also tries starting
IE without add-ons, still didn't work.

I guess I'll try to uninstall and reinstall IE7 next up, but I'll scan with
Malwarebytes first, see if it finds anything.

I'll definitely read those links you posted, thank you, great reply!

Just to clarify, I have the actual stand alone of Kaspersky AV which I paid
for, and only used the Firefox version of Panda's Online Scan, not IE, just
that one poster in the other thread told me to use multiple scanners, again,
thank you for your tips using Multi-AV.
Heiji1412

Re: Options greyed out
Just an update, uninstalling and then reinstalling IE7 works, Malwarebytes
didn't detect anything.
Kayman

Re: Options greyed out
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 22:42:01 -0700, Heiji1412 wrote:

> Just an update, uninstalling and then reinstalling IE7 works,

Good!

> Malwarebytes didn't detect anything.

Good also!
Keep the Standalone Malware Scanners for possible future use and don't
forget to update prior scanning.

Good Luck