internet explorer not loading/not responding

amit

internet explorer not loading/not responding
i'm using internet explorer 7 and today i was suddenly unable to start it. i
click the icon and the browser opens up but web pages don't load, i only see
a blank screen with the toolbars. non of the buttons work either, for example
i can press "tools" but when i try clicking "internet options" it won't open
the internet options window. i can't open my favorites or my feeds and when i
type an address and press enter it doesn't load. i tried uninstalling IE7 and
use IE6 instead and IE6 works, although not completely... when i right click
a link and press "open in new window" it won't open, and there was a little
problem with downloading files but it doesn't really matter... i also tried
downloading IE8 beta 2 but it ended up having the exact same problem as
IE7... i don't know if this has anything to do with it but i'm using a
wireless internet and i wanted to upgrade my router's firmware so i went to
my mom's laptop which i connected to the router with an ethernet cable and
installed the firmware. my mom's internet was working fine but when i went
back to my computer, there was that problem with IE7...
please help, thankfully i had google chrome installed a few days ago so i'm
able to use the internet and write this message, but i want my IE back...
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: internet explorer not loading/not responding
"amit" <amit@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> i'm using internet explorer 7 and today i was suddenly unable to start it.
> click the icon and the browser opens up but web pages don't load, i only
> see
> a blank screen with the toolbars. non of the buttons work either, for
> example
> i can press "tools" but when i try clicking "internet options" it won't
> open
> the internet options window. i can't open my favorites or my feeds and
> when i
> type an address and press enter it doesn't load. i tried uninstalling IE7
> and
> use IE6 instead and IE6 works, although not completely... when i right
> click
> a link and press "open in new window" it won't open, and there was a
> little
> problem with downloading files but it doesn't really matter... i also
> tried
> downloading IE8 beta 2 but it ended up having the exact same problem as
> IE7... i don't know if this has anything to do with it but i'm using a
> wireless internet and i wanted to upgrade my router's firmware so i went
> my mom's laptop which i connected to the router with an ethernet cable
> and
> installed the firmware. my mom's internet was working fine but when i went
> back to my computer, there was that problem with IE7...
> please help, thankfully i had google chrome installed a few days ago so
> i'm
> able to use the internet and write this message, but i want my IE back...

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

nass

"amit" wrote:

> i'm using internet explorer 7 and today i was suddenly unable to start it. i
> click the icon and the browser opens up but web pages don't load, i only see
> a blank screen with the toolbars. non of the buttons work either, for example
> i can press "tools" but when i try clicking "internet options" it won't open
> the internet options window. i can't open my favorites or my feeds and when i
> type an address and press enter it doesn't load. i tried uninstalling IE7 and
> use IE6 instead and IE6 works, although not completely... when i right click
> a link and press "open in new window" it won't open, and there was a little
> problem with downloading files but it doesn't really matter... i also tried
> downloading IE8 beta 2 but it ended up having the exact same problem as
> IE7... i don't know if this has anything to do with it but i'm using a
> wireless internet and i wanted to upgrade my router's firmware so i went to
> my mom's laptop which i connected to the router with an ethernet cable and
> installed the firmware. my mom's internet was working fine but when i went
> back to my computer, there was that problem with IE7...
> please help, thankfully i had google chrome installed a few days ago so i'm
> able to use the internet and write this message, but i want my IE back...

Run a thorough scan by doing the following steps:
1... First, try to clean up your caches, Internet files and delete cookies
by doing this:
Click Start >> Control Panel >> Double click Network and Internet
Connections >> Double click Internet Options.
On the IE properties windows you will see these Tabs:
General | Security | Privacy | Content | Connections | Programs |
Under General Tab clear your History, Internet Files and Cookies.
Then click on Advanced tab and scroll down to under the Browsing Option:
[&] Browsing
[ ] Enable Third-Party browser extensions (Req Rest) uncheck this box.
Then click on Programs Tab and click Manage Add-Ons and Disable all non
Verified Add-Ons (You should Renable them later one-by-one and see the
culprit and update it or remove it.
How to manage Add-Ons:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883256
Scan for malware from here:
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html
http://www.malwarebytes.org/rr-update/rr-free-setup.exe
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-gb/d....htm?s_cid=sah

Run a scan from here on-line:
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym
Download Avast Cleaner (offline scanner) from here:
Comodo BOClean : Anti-Malware Version 4.27
http://www.comodo.com/boclean/boclean.html

Run disk clean up then these commands:
ipconfig /flushdns click [OK]
ipconfig /renew click [OK]
netsh winsock reset click [OK]
Reboot your machine, are you able to open IE?
HTH,
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

amit

Re: internet explorer not loading/not responding
i already tried 1 and 2 before, so i'll just try 3 using spysweeper from
webroot, i'll tell u how it goes...

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" wrote:

> I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
> 1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
> Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
> and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).
>
> 2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
> Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
> article first:
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
> as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?
>
> 3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
> All MS-MVP Sites.
> http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
>
> Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315
>
> So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
> For quite a few people it's by installing programs like Messenger Plus,
> whose ads for
> malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
> owe it to the author. See also:
> http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=27971
> Don't ever do a "default" install of anything. Always choose Custom and see
> what else is being carried along. Don't install any extras you're not sure
> of.
>
> You might also try the steps here:
> "Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
>
> --
> Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
> Do not reply with email

amit

Re: internet explorer not loading/not responding
and i also tried that http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro thing
before and it didn't help...
amit

RE: internet explorer not loading/not responding
ok, none of the things worked so i used a restore point to the day before
everything happened. now IE7 works but for some reason my toolbars (like
where i can find tools, favorites, add favorites..." are gone, how do i get
them back?
amit

"amit" wrote:

> ok, none of the things worked so i used a restore point to the day before
> everything happened. now IE7 works but for some reason my toolbars (like
> where i can find tools, favorites, add favorites..." are gone, how do i get
> them back?

i also want to add that there is no toolbar for tabs, and when i right click
on a page i don't get the options window like "open in new window" or "open
in new tab" and all that... also, on the taskbar at the botoom of the screen,
where i see the internet main internet tab, i can't see the name of the pages
i open, i can only see the internet icon and an empty tab...

Re: internet explorer not loading/not responding
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

amit wrote:
> i'm using internet explorer 7 and today i was suddenly unable to start it.
> click the icon and the browser opens up but web pages don't load, i only
> see
> a blank screen with the toolbars. non of the buttons work either, for
> example i can press "tools" but when i try clicking "internet options" it
> won't open the internet options window. i can't open my favorites or my
> feeds and when i type an address and press enter it doesn't load. i tried
> uninstalling IE7 and use IE6 instead and IE6 works, although not
> completely... when i right click a link and press "open in new window" it
> won't open, and there was a little problem with downloading files but it
> doesn't really matter... i also tried downloading IE8 beta 2 but it ended
> up having the exact same problem as IE7... i don't know if this has
> anything to do with it but i'm using a wireless internet and i wanted to
> upgrade my router's firmware so i went to my mom's laptop which i
> connected
> to the router with an ethernet cable and installed the firmware. my mom's
> internet was working fine but when i went back to my computer, there was
> that problem with IE7...
> please help, thankfully i had google chrome installed a few days ago so
> i'm
> able to use the internet and write this message, but i want my IE back...

amit

Re: internet explorer not loading/not responding
windows XP SP3...

Re: internet explorer not loading/not responding
To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you.

=> Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

(if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you
installed WinXP SP3 or IE7?

Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
--
~PA Bear

amit wrote:
> windows XP SP3...