Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?

MarkL

Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?
I downloaded a *.tif file. 14 mb, took an
hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a photo
with a file format that is not standard?
Tom [Pepper] Willett

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?
How did you try to open it? What application?
What is your file association for tif?

:
hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
: Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a
photo
: with a file format that is not standard?

MarkL

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?
I downloaded the file on IE7, but it did not display. I usually do not have
to 'open' the pic, it opens when the download finishes. I do not know the
file assc. for tif. I tried to find the file w/ explorer but could find no
*.tif, *.tiff files. Must be hiding in Temp files somewhere.

"Tom [Pepper] Willett" wrote:

> How did you try to open it? What application?
> What is your file association for tif?
>
> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> :I downloaded a *.tif file. 14 mb, took an
> :
> hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
> : Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a
> photo
> : with a file format that is not standard?

Jim

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?

"MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded a *.tif file. 14 mb, took an
> hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
> Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a
> photo
> with a file format that is not standard?

Tif is an industry standard photo file format. People have opened tif files
with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Infanview (just to
name a few).
Windows Fax and Photo Viewer can also open tif files, and this bare bones
program can be implemented on any version of Windows XP. It might even be
present by default.

Jim

MarkL

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?
I down loaded the file and it did not open, so I assume that I do not have
that plugin. I'm running WixXP/ IE7. I have downloaded many jpeg's from the
same site and they open automatically. I use win explorer to search my
computer for tif and tiff files, with no results. I thought that it would be
a Temp Inet file, but I do not see it anywhere. Any Ideas where it might be
hiding??

Thx, MP

"Jim" wrote:

> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I downloaded a *.tif file. 14 mb, took an
> > hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
> > Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a
> > photo
> > with a file format that is not standard?

> Tif is an industry standard photo file format. People have opened tif files
> with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Infanview (just to
> name a few).
> Windows Fax and Photo Viewer can also open tif files, and this bare bones
> program can be implemented on any version of Windows XP. It might even be
> present by default.
>
> Jim

Donald Anadell

>I down loaded the file and it did not open, so I assume that I do not have
> that plugin. I'm running WixXP/ IE7. I have downloaded many jpeg's from
> the
> same site and they open automatically. I use win explorer to search my
> computer for tif and tiff files, with no results. I thought that it would
> be
> a Temp Inet file, but I do not see it anywhere. Any Ideas where it might
> be
> hiding??

Are you performing your search using the following file name,
"C-FHWA-003-626.tif"?

Are your search parameters set to include "Search System Folders", "Search
Hidden Files and Folders", "Search Subfolders".

Use Windows Explorer and make sure the Address Bar is activated. Type the
following Path into the Address Bar:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5

Note: Replace <username> in the path with your user name.

Search the contents in the subfolders under the "Content.ie5" folder.

As has already been posted in this thread, IE doesn't not have native
..tif\tiff image viewing capabilities. You can use a Third party Browser
add-on(activex control) to view them directly in the Browser. Or simply
save them to your Hard drive and view them with the Windows Picture and Fax
viewer, or Windows Paint. Or, any other Third party image program that
supports the .tif/.tiff image format.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Thx, MP
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I downloaded a *.tif file. 14 mb, took an
>> > hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
>> > Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a
>> > photo
>> > with a file format that is not standard?

>> Tif is an industry standard photo file format. People have opened tif
>> files
>> with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Infanview (just
>> name a few).
>> Windows Fax and Photo Viewer can also open tif files, and this bare bones
>> program can be implemented on any version of Windows XP. It might even be
>> present by default.
>>
>> Jim

MarkL

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?
Thanks Donald'
Yes I searched for *.tiff, *.tif, C-FHWA-003-626.tif, C-FHWA-003-626.* in
all folders and files.

I am not sure that I understand what you meant by this.

You wrote: "Use Windows Explorer and make sure the Address Bar is activated.
Type the following Path into the Address Bar:"

Did you mean 'Internet Explorer' ?
I do not know how to get an address bar in windows explorer.

"Donald Anadell" wrote:

> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I down loaded the file and it did not open, so I assume that I do not have
> > that plugin. I'm running WixXP/ IE7. I have downloaded many jpeg's from
> > the
> > same site and they open automatically. I use win explorer to search my
> > computer for tif and tiff files, with no results. I thought that it would
> > be
> > a Temp Inet file, but I do not see it anywhere. Any Ideas where it might
> > be
> > hiding??

> Are you performing your search using the following file name,
> "C-FHWA-003-626.tif"?
>
> Are your search parameters set to include "Search System Folders", "Search
> Hidden Files and Folders", "Search Subfolders".
>
> Use Windows Explorer and make sure the Address Bar is activated. Type the
> following Path into the Address Bar:
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
> Files\Content.IE5
>
> Note: Replace <username> in the path with your user name.
>
> Search the contents in the subfolders under the "Content.ie5" folder.
>
> As has already been posted in this thread, IE doesn't not have native
> ..tif\tiff image viewing capabilities. You can use a Third party Browser
> add-on(activex control) to view them directly in the Browser. Or simply
> save them to your Hard drive and view them with the Windows Picture and Fax
> viewer, or Windows Paint. Or, any other Third party image program that
> supports the .tif/.tiff image format.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Donald Anadell
>

> > Thx, MP
> >
> > "Jim" wrote:
> >

> >> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Tif is an industry standard photo file format. People have opened tif
> >> files
> >> with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Infanview (just
> >> name a few).
> >> Windows Fax and Photo Viewer can also open tif files, and this bare bones
> >> program can be implemented on any version of Windows XP. It might even be
> >> present by default.
> >>
> >> Jim

Donald Anadell

> Thanks Donald'
> Yes I searched for *.tiff, *.tif, C-FHWA-003-626.tif, C-FHWA-003-626.* in
> all folders and files.
>
> I am not sure that I understand what you meant by this.
>
> You wrote: "Use Windows Explorer and make sure the Address Bar is
> activated.
> Type the following Path into the Address Bar:"
>
> Did you mean 'Internet Explorer' ?

No, I meant Windows Explorer, not Internet Explorer.

> I do not know how to get an address bar in windows explorer.

To add the Address Bar to Windows Explorer in Windows XP, open Windows
Explorer and click on View||Toolbars and check Address Bar.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> "Donald Anadell" wrote:
>

>> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I down loaded the file and it did not open, so I assume that I do not
>> >have
>> > that plugin. I'm running WixXP/ IE7. I have downloaded many jpeg's from
>> > the
>> > same site and they open automatically. I use win explorer to search my
>> > computer for tif and tiff files, with no results. I thought that it
>> > would
>> > be
>> > a Temp Inet file, but I do not see it anywhere. Any Ideas where it
>> > might
>> > be
>> > hiding??

>> Are you performing your search using the following file name,
>> "C-FHWA-003-626.tif"?
>>
>> Are your search parameters set to include "Search System Folders",
>> Hidden Files and Folders", "Search Subfolders".
>>
>> Use Windows Explorer and make sure the Address Bar is activated. Type
>> the
>> following Path into the Address Bar:
>>
>> C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
>> Files\Content.IE5
>>
>> Note: Replace <username> in the path with your user name.
>>
>> Search the contents in the subfolders under the "Content.ie5" folder.
>>
>> As has already been posted in this thread, IE doesn't not have native
>> ..tif\tiff image viewing capabilities. You can use a Third party Browser
>> add-on(activex control) to view them directly in the Browser. Or simply
>> save them to your Hard drive and view them with the Windows Picture and
>> Fax
>> viewer, or Windows Paint. Or, any other Third party image program that
>> supports the .tif/.tiff image format.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Donald Anadell
>>

>> > Thx, MP

Jim

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?

"MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I down loaded the file and it did not open, so I assume that I do not have
> that plugin. I'm running WixXP/ IE7. I have downloaded many jpeg's from
> the
> same site and they open automatically. I use win explorer to search my
> computer for tif and tiff files, with no results. I thought that it would
> be
> a Temp Inet file, but I do not see it anywhere. Any Ideas where it might
> be
> hiding??
>
> Thx, MP
>
> "Jim" wrote:
>

>> "MarkL" <MarkL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I downloaded a *.tif file. 14 mb, took an
>> > hour(http://www.hooverdambypass.org/Const...WA-003-626.tif).
>> > Then it did not open, do I need a add on? Why would a vendor provide a
>> > photo
>> > with a file format that is not standard?

>> Tif is an industry standard photo file format. People have opened tif
>> files
>> with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Paint Shop Pro, and Infanview (just
>> name a few).
>> Windows Fax and Photo Viewer can also open tif files, and this bare bones
>> program can be implemented on any version of Windows XP. It might even be
>> present by default.
>>
>> Jim

You need to check the associations for the tif file type. A way to check
is to open the folder options tab in the Control Panel.. Click on "file
types" to get a list of the known file types and which programs open each.

You need to know which image viewing program exists on your system. Once
you know this, it only takes a few minutes to setup reading of a particular
file type.
Jim

MarkL

Re: Tif Photo file did not display, where is it?
Thanks Jim,
I went to the control panel as you suggested an found that 'tif' is not
associated. I'm done with this. That 'tif' file is the only one of its type
on my computer. I don't need no stinking tif files. I did finally find the
ellusive file in the Inet temp. files. Then I deleted it, I dont need the
aggrevation.
I appreciate the help,
Mark