IE7 RSS sort order defaulting to REVERSE Chronological Order

mebrown998

IE7 RSS sort order defaulting to REVERSE Chronological Order
I am using IE7 to view a calendar of events generated by Helios Calendar
1.3.1. Events are loaded, then the user can click to view (via RSS) a list
of all matching events. When I view this feed in IE7, the list comes out in
reverse order by default and I must click the "Sort By: Date" button to get
it to show up normally.

When I "View Source" on the same page, I see that the order of the list is
correct (Ascending chronologically), and that it is just IE7 that orders it
differently. Is there a way that I can change this default behavior through
options? If not, can I pass information on the URL to get IE7 to order
differently?

I can provide the URL of the list I am trying to view if you need. Firefox
shows the list correctly. I do not know how other browsers show the page.
Daniel Crichton

Re: IE7 RSS sort order defaulting to REVERSE Chronological Order
mebrown998 wrote on Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:59:04 -0700:

> I am using IE7 to view a calendar of events generated by Helios
> Calendar
> 1.3.1. Events are loaded, then the user can click to view (via RSS) a
> list of all matching events. When I view this feed in IE7, the list
> comes out in reverse order by default and I must click the "Sort By:
> Date" button to get it to show up normally.

> When I "View Source" on the same page, I see that the order of the list
> is correct (Ascending chronologically), and that it is just IE7 that
> orders it differently. Is there a way that I can change this default
> behavior through options? If not, can I pass information on the URL
> to get IE7 to order differently?

> I can provide the URL of the list I am trying to view if you need.
> Firefox shows the list correctly. I do not know how other browsers
> show the page.

IE sorts in reverse chronological order because the assumption is that newer
items should be at the top.

If you want to have the RSS feed sorted by the order in which they are in
the source, you can add

<cf:treatAs xmlns:cf="http://www.microsoft.com/schemas/rss/core/2005">list</cf:treatAs>

in the channel node. This is a Simple List Extension. However, this will
cause the RSS reader in IE to discard cached items - the feed is treated as
a list, which means that it has only the data that should be shown and is
not to be added to an existing cached data the reader already has.

--
Dan

mebrown998

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> IE sorts in reverse chronological order because the assumption is that newer
> items should be at the top.
>
> If you want to have the RSS feed sorted by the order in which they are in
> the source, you can add
>
> <cf:treatAs xmlns:cf="http://www.microsoft.com/schemas/rss/core/2005">list</cf:treatAs>
>
> in the channel node. This is a Simple List Extension. However, this will
> cause the RSS reader in IE to discard cached items - the feed is treated as
> a list, which means that it has only the data that should be shown and is
> not to be added to an existing cached data the reader already has.
>
> --
> Dan

Dan, thanks!!! That worked the very first try. I appreciate your help!