I.E 7 will not leave the set up stage

Whoops

I.E 7 will not leave the set up stage
I have XP.. I had I.E. 6.. Why did I download a beta, bets the heck out of
me as I am not that familiar with these things. The down load went fine.
But when the next sceen came up it said there were to options to use to save
settings. I took one. Settings could not be saved.. according to I,E, 7..
tried the other one.. same thing. Tried to back out of it.. won't let me.
Tries to unistall it, I can't. I do not want A jammed up I.E. 7 page as my
opening page to the internet. I don't have a problem with 6 and I am willing
to go back. Just someone help to get out of where I am. With thanks.

Now I have to find MacAfee and get my verbal sword to get money back for a
renewal that I had not ask for. $39.95 is a lot of money for any one,
especially and old person. Thanks anyone in advance if they can help me with
this I.E. 7 problem.
Gordon

Re: I.E 7 will not leave the set up stage
"Whoops" <Whoops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have XP.. I had I.E. 6.. Why did I download a beta, bets the heck out of
> me as I am not that familiar with these things. The down load went fine.
> But when the next sceen came up it said there were to options to use to
> save
> settings. I took one. Settings could not be saved.. according to I,E,
> 7..
> tried the other one.. same thing. Tried to back out of it.. won't let me.
> Tries to unistall it, I can't. I do not want A jammed up I.E. 7 page as
> my
> opening page to the internet. I don't have a problem with 6 and I am
> willing
> to go back. Just someone help to get out of where I am. With thanks.
>
> Now I have to find MacAfee and get my verbal sword to get money back for a
> renewal that I had not ask for. $39.95 is a lot of money for any one,
> especially and old person. Thanks anyone in advance if they can help me
> with
> this I.E. 7 problem.

IE7 is NOT Beta.

Just go to Control panel-Add/Remove Programs and un-install IE7. Be aware
it's listed as WINDOWS Internet Explorer, not MICROSOFT Internet Explorer...

Whoops

RE: I.E 7 does NOT have an "uninstall" listed on the control panel pro
I followed Gordon's answer... and thank you Gordon for the quick response,
but there is no uninstall dialog on this control panel. I did go in to add
or remove programs, did go down to the WINDOWS Explorer as Gordon suggested,
but as I highlighte it, all I can get is the "support" pop up with no way to
uninstall this program.

I apologize for not understanding the problem as I am usually fairly
intelligent on dowloading, moving, unistalling and all the other house work
that is necessary to keep this machine righting smoothly, but I am at a total
loss right now. Windows 7 is still setting as if it were my home page and it
is still not saving any settings. So.. Gordon or anyne else, I am still
hoping for a solution.

"Whoops" wrote:

> I have XP.. I had I.E. 6.. Why did I download a beta, bets the heck out of
> me as I am not that familiar with these things. The down load went fine.
> But when the next sceen came up it said there were to options to use to save
> settings. I took one. Settings could not be saved.. according to I,E, 7..
> tried the other one.. same thing. Tried to back out of it.. won't let me.
> Tries to unistall it, I can't. I do not want A jammed up I.E. 7 page as my
> opening page to the internet. I don't have a problem with 6 and I am willing
> to go back. Just someone help to get out of where I am. With thanks.
>
> Now I have to find MacAfee and get my verbal sword to get money back for a
> renewal that I had not ask for. $39.95 is a lot of money for any one,
> especially and old person. Thanks anyone in advance if they can help me with
> this I.E. 7 problem.

Daniel Crichton

Whoops wrote on Mon, 29 Sep 2008 09:36:02 -0700:

> I have XP.. I had I.E. 6.. Why did I download a beta, bets the heck
> out of me as I am not that familiar with these things. The down load
> went fine.
> But when the next sceen came up it said there were to options to use to
> save settings. I took one. Settings could not be saved.. according
> to I,E, 7..
> tried the other one.. same thing. Tried to back out of it.. won't let
> me.
> Tries to unistall it, I can't. I do not want A jammed up I.E. 7 page
> as my opening page to the internet. I don't have a problem with 6 and
> I am willing to go back. Just someone help to get out of where I am.
> With thanks.

> Now I have to find MacAfee and get my verbal sword to get money back
> for a renewal that I had not ask for. $39.95 is a lot of money for
> any one, especially and old person. Thanks anyone in advance if they
> can help me with this I.E. 7 problem.

A load of web sites have fixes for this, including MS themselves (the
sympton is different, but the fix it the same): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385/en-us

It's due to the registry not getting updated correctly when you choose the
settings and save them. I've never had this problem myself on any PC I've
installed IE7 on, so I have no idea what actually causes it, but it's
possible that some other software running on your PC is preventing IE from
making this change (just like some prevent IE from changing it's home page).

--
Dan