IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode

BobJam

IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode
XP HE SP2

In the past few days, IE7 has been starting off line ALWAYS. I realize that
it DOES start off line when it was off line PREVIOUS to the start. But I
noticed this recent behavior all the time, and experimented by making sure I
was on line in the previous session, and it STILL started off line.

Off course, it's a simple matter to click on "Tools" and uncheck "Work
Offline" and then go online with a URL, but this is tedious and a bother,
especially when it USED to start on line when I had previously been on line.

I can't recall changing any settings recently, but I guess it's possible
that I did.

I am looking at my antivirus (AntiVir) and Firewall (Comodo), but I don't
really think these can be the cause.

Not a deal breaker, nor something that prevents me from running IE on line
if I do "Tools" and uncheck "Work Offline" (that works, thank goodness).

I recently installed Sandboxie, HOWEVER, IE7 exhibits the same flawed
behavior even if it's not sandboxed, so I can't really lay this at
Sandboxie's foot. It's likely an IE only issue, but I posted on the
Sandboxie forum because I thought there might be a connection.

I've Googled the issue, and read various solutions from Registry hacks to
emptying the browser cache to "repairing" IE. Tried it all, but nothing
worked.

I do have the Google Toolbar and that's been implicated in some stuff I've
read, so I may try uninstalling it and see if that works. May try a recent
restore point too.

But as you can see by my desperation in posting here, I'm pretty much out of
ideas short of uninstalling IE7 and trying a reinstall (which I REALLY don't
want to do unless it's the last resort).

Anyway . . . thoughts??

Re: IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode
1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! Ignore any references to Vista on the
above page. It's safe to ignore any "such and such may not work" warnings.
Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

BobJam wrote:
> XP HE SP2
>
> In the past few days, IE7 has been starting off line ALWAYS. I realize
> that
> it DOES start off line when it was off line PREVIOUS to the start. But I
> noticed this recent behavior all the time, and experimented by making sure
> was on line in the previous session, and it STILL started off line.
>
> Off course, it's a simple matter to click on "Tools" and uncheck "Work
> Offline" and then go online with a URL, but this is tedious and a bother,
> especially when it USED to start on line when I had previously been on
> line.
>
> I can't recall changing any settings recently, but I guess it's possible
> that I did.
>
> I am looking at my antivirus (AntiVir) and Firewall (Comodo), but I don't
> really think these can be the cause.
>
> Not a deal breaker, nor something that prevents me from running IE on line
> if I do "Tools" and uncheck "Work Offline" (that works, thank goodness).
>
> I recently installed Sandboxie, HOWEVER, IE7 exhibits the same flawed
> behavior even if it's not sandboxed, so I can't really lay this at
> Sandboxie's foot. It's likely an IE only issue, but I posted on the
> Sandboxie forum because I thought there might be a connection.
>
> I've Googled the issue, and read various solutions from Registry hacks to
> emptying the browser cache to "repairing" IE. Tried it all, but nothing
> worked.
>
> I do have the Google Toolbar and that's been implicated in some stuff I've
> read, so I may try uninstalling it and see if that works. May try a recent
> restore point too.
>
> But as you can see by my desperation in posting here, I'm pretty much out
> of
> ideas short of uninstalling IE7 and trying a reinstall (which I REALLY
> don't
> want to do unless it's the last resort).
>
> Anyway . . . thoughts??

Robert Aldwinckle

"BobJam" <rbjamieATgmailDOTcom> wrote in message
> XP HE SP2
>
> In the past few days, IE7 has been starting off line ALWAYS.

What exactly does "starting" entail? E.g. does Run...

iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff

(when no other iexplore.exe is active) cause the symptom?

---

BobJam

Re: IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode
I didn't have to go as far as starting IE7 in "No Add-ons" mode.

It turned out that a restore point I had for Sep25 WORKED!!! So I sort of
went around the barn there for a while . . . should have tried that restore
thing first. I have absolutely no idea what it was . . . tried a bunch of
stuff, and nothing worked 'till I did that restore. I created another
restore point right then and there.

Next time something like that happens I may try the restore first. But the
restore somehow messed up my AntiVir (Guard service refused to load), so I
ended up uninstalling and reinstalling (and then updating) AntiVir, so it
wasn't smooth by any means.

In addition to trying to start in "No Add-ons" mode, I was also considering
that RIES stuff (resetting), but I was reluctant to try that because I agree
with the MS warning for this: "You should only use this if your browser is
in an unusable state" and this error really didn't reduce my browser to an
"unusable state", just a "bothersome state" . . . sort of like
"paininthebuttware".

Plus, I didn't want to have to go back and redo my settings for Security,
Privacy, and Zones . . . unless I absolutely had to. Those settings for me
have been the result of a lot of trial and error, and I'm not sure I could
duplicate them again. One of those suggestions on a RIES blog I read was to
create an "Import Settings" kind of thing for IE7, and I don't think it has
that. Does the new beta of IE8 have that feature?

Anyway, all is right with the universe now, so until the next time my shorts
get tight, I'm OK.

And, it only took me about half a day, and after I got that out of my hair I
was able to get some sleep. (always have to resolve these things . . . is an
obsession . . . before I can do anything else . . . even sleep). Would have
been much less than half a day if I had tried that restore first . . .
duhhhhh . . . good thing it worked though because my next step would have
been to try the "no add-ons" mode, the reset, and then uninstall and
reinstall IE7 if the reset didn't work).

> [...]
>> Sandboxie's foot. It's likely an IE only issue, but I posted on the
>> Sandboxie forum because I thought there might be a connection.
>>
>> I've Googled the issue, and read various solutions from Registry hacks to
>> emptying the browser cache to "repairing" IE. Tried it all, but nothing
>> worked.
>>
>> I do have the Google Toolbar and that's been implicated in some stuff
>> I've
>> read, so I may try uninstalling it and see if that works. May try a
>> recent
>> restore point too.
>>
>> But as you can see by my desperation in posting here, I'm pretty much out
>> of
>> ideas short of uninstalling IE7 and trying a reinstall (which I REALLY
>> don't
>> want to do unless it's the last resort).

BobJam

Re: IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode
Yes, running it from a desktop icon.

I solved the problem with a restore point. See my response above to PA
Bear.

> "BobJam" <rbjamieATgmailDOTcom> wrote in message
>> XP HE SP2
>>
>> In the past few days, IE7 has been starting off line ALWAYS.

> What exactly does "starting" entail? E.g. does Run...
>
> iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff
>
> (when no other iexplore.exe is active) cause the symptom?
>

> ---

Re: IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode
Whatever floats your boat, Bob.

Now: What caused the problem and how do you avoid it in the future? What
changes had you made to the system after that Restore Point was created?

BobJam wrote:
> [...]
>>> Sandboxie's foot. It's likely an IE only issue, but I posted on the
>>> Sandboxie forum because I thought there might be a connection.
>>>
>>> I've Googled the issue, and read various solutions from Registry hacks
>>> emptying the browser cache to "repairing" IE. Tried it all, but nothing
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> I do have the Google Toolbar and that's been implicated in some stuff
>>> I've
>>> read, so I may try uninstalling it and see if that works. May try a
>>> recent
>>> restore point too.
>>>
>>> But as you can see by my desperation in posting here, I'm pretty much
>>> out
>>> of
>>> ideas short of uninstalling IE7 and trying a reinstall (which I REALLY
>>> don't
>>> want to do unless it's the last resort).

BobJam

Re: IE7 ALWAYS starts in off line mode
I have absolutely no idea what did it. It's one of those "electronic"
mysteries that will remain forever buried in the ether. If it happens
again, I may "investigate" it further . . . if I have the patience. But now
that I know I have a good restore point to remedy that particular problem, I
may be inclined to use it when I run out of patience.

There were no more restore points made after September 25th, so I doubt very
seriously if it had anything to do with installations or uninstallations,
which typically generate restore points. So either I changed a setting
(which I can't remember doing in the day or so before it started to happen),
or else it is as I said . . . a mystery that will forever remain a mystery.

Since I have remedied the situation, I have returned to my normal surfing
and computing habits and it hasn't returned. That's by no means proof that
it won't, but I'm not so uptight about it anymore. For a while there after
I resolved it, I was walking on egg shells waiting for it to return. (Watch
.. . . now that I've jinxed myself with the amazonian voodoo hex, it will
come back).