Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open

fieryscot

Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Hi,

I am using IE7 and Windows XP.

My computer has just suddenly started to have these hanging problems, most
of the time I have to bomb out.

Here are some of the things I have already done to try and rectify this
problem.

Deleted temporary internet files etc
Ran disc clean up and defrag
Ran virus scans
Checked for microsoft updates
Cleaned registry

I thought it could be a memory problem and I have increased virtual memory,
but, that did not rectify the problem. I have 448 mb of ram.

Anyone got any other solutions please, it's driving me insane.

Thanks a lot

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Unfortunately, "these hanging problems" and "bomb out" aren't
sufficiently detailed for us to know what you're talking about.

Please try your question again and this time include a complete explanation.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

fieryscot wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using IE7 and Windows XP.
>
> My computer has just suddenly started to have these hanging problems, most
> of the time I have to bomb out.
>
> Here are some of the things I have already done to try and rectify this
> problem.
>
> Deleted temporary internet files etc
> Ran disc clean up and defrag
> Ran virus scans
> Checked for microsoft updates
> Cleaned registry
>
> I thought it could be a memory problem and I have increased virtual memory,
> but, that did not rectify the problem. I have 448 mb of ram.
>
> Anyone got any other solutions please, it's driving me insane.
>
> Thanks a lot

fieryscot

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
OK, I will try my best to describe the problem in more detail.

I normally have approx 4 tabs open at one time when using internet explorer.

When I switch from one tab to another, Im experiencing a delay in geting to
the next tab.

Everything seems to just freeze/lock up, you can see that it is trying to
get to the next tab, but I just end up geting a blank screen with the next
tabs website address showing in the url bar.

My mouse still works, but when I click anything, eg, another tab or refresh,
nothing happens.

Sometimes it will move to the next tab in a couple of minutes, but, most of
the time, I have to ctrl alt delete and end all tabs.

Thanks, hope this helps.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Unfortunately, "these hanging problems" and "bomb out" aren't
> sufficiently detailed for us to know what you're talking about.
>
> Please try your question again and this time include a complete explanation.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> fieryscot wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using IE7 and Windows XP.
> >
> > My computer has just suddenly started to have these hanging problems, most
> > of the time I have to bomb out.
> >
> > Here are some of the things I have already done to try and rectify this
> > problem.
> >
> > Deleted temporary internet files etc
> > Ran disc clean up and defrag
> > Ran virus scans
> > Checked for microsoft updates
> > Cleaned registry
> >
> > I thought it could be a memory problem and I have increased virtual memory,
> > but, that did not rectify the problem. I have 448 mb of ram.
> >
> > Anyone got any other solutions please, it's driving me insane.
> >
> > Thanks a lot

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode.

Problems can result when add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser
toolbars, conflict with Internet Explorer 7 or if they are damaged..

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
(No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

---

fieryscot wrote:
> OK, I will try my best to describe the problem in more detail.
>
> I normally have approx 4 tabs open at one time when using internet explorer.
>
> When I switch from one tab to another, Im experiencing a delay in geting to
> the next tab.
>
> Everything seems to just freeze/lock up, you can see that it is trying to
> get to the next tab, but I just end up geting a blank screen with the next
> tabs website address showing in the url bar.
>
> My mouse still works, but when I click anything, eg, another tab or refresh,
> nothing happens.
>
> Sometimes it will move to the next tab in a couple of minutes, but, most of
> the time, I have to ctrl alt delete and end all tabs.
>
> Thanks, hope this helps.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately, "these hanging problems" and "bomb out" aren't
>> sufficiently detailed for us to know what you're talking about.
>>
>> Please try your question again and this time include a complete explanation.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>
>> fieryscot wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am using IE7 and Windows XP.
>>>
>>> My computer has just suddenly started to have these hanging problems, most
>>> of the time I have to bomb out.
>>>
>>> Here are some of the things I have already done to try and rectify this
>>> problem.
>>>
>>> Deleted temporary internet files etc
>>> Ran disc clean up and defrag
>>> Ran virus scans
>>> Checked for microsoft updates
>>> Cleaned registry
>>>
>>> I thought it could be a memory problem and I have increased virtual memory,
>>> but, that did not rectify the problem. I have 448 mb of ram.
>>>
>>> Anyone got any other solutions please, it's driving me insane.
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot

fieryscot

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Hi Leonard,

I tested IE in no add-ons mode and everything is working fine now.

I am not up to speed with add-ons, do I have to do anything to rectify the
add-ons problem, or is it okay to use IE in the no add-ons mode when I using
multiple tabs.

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode.
>
> Problems can result when add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser
> toolbars, conflict with Internet Explorer 7 or if they are damaged..
>
> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> fieryscot wrote:
> > OK, I will try my best to describe the problem in more detail.
> >
> > I normally have approx 4 tabs open at one time when using internet explorer.
> >
> > When I switch from one tab to another, Im experiencing a delay in geting to
> > the next tab.
> >
> > Everything seems to just freeze/lock up, you can see that it is trying to
> > get to the next tab, but I just end up geting a blank screen with the next
> > tabs website address showing in the url bar.
> >
> > My mouse still works, but when I click anything, eg, another tab or refresh,
> > nothing happens.
> >
> > Sometimes it will move to the next tab in a couple of minutes, but, most of
> > the time, I have to ctrl alt delete and end all tabs.
> >
> > Thanks, hope this helps.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Unfortunately, "these hanging problems" and "bomb out" aren't
> >> sufficiently detailed for us to know what you're talking about.
> >>
> >> Please try your question again and this time include a complete explanation.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est
> >>
> >> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330952,00.asp

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
problem:

1- Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons.

2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.

3- Exit and then restart Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to
Manage Add-ons > click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single
add-on, then exit and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works
properly. Repeat until you determine which add-on causes the problem to
occur.

Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask the vendor's
technical support for help.

---

fieryscot wrote:
> Hi Leonard,
>
> I tested IE in no add-ons mode and everything is working fine now.
>
> I am not up to speed with add-ons, do I have to do anything to rectify the
> add-ons problem, or is it okay to use IE in the no add-ons mode when I using
> multiple tabs.
>
> Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode.
>>
>> Problems can result when add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser
>> toolbars, conflict with Internet Explorer 7 or if they are damaged..
>>
>> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
>> (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>
>> fieryscot wrote:
>>> OK, I will try my best to describe the problem in more detail.
>>>
>>> I normally have approx 4 tabs open at one time when using internet explorer.
>>>
>>> When I switch from one tab to another, Im experiencing a delay in geting to
>>> the next tab.
>>>
>>> Everything seems to just freeze/lock up, you can see that it is trying to
>>> get to the next tab, but I just end up geting a blank screen with the next
>>> tabs website address showing in the url bar.
>>>
>>> My mouse still works, but when I click anything, eg, another tab or refresh,
>>> nothing happens.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it will move to the next tab in a couple of minutes, but, most of
>>> the time, I have to ctrl alt delete and end all tabs.
>>>
>>> Thanks, hope this helps.

fieryscot

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Thank you Leonard, you have been very helpful

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
> problem:
>
> 1- Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons.
>
> 2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
> Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
> each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
> Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
>
> 3- Exit and then restart Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to
> Manage Add-ons > click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single
> add-on, then exit and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works
> properly. Repeat until you determine which add-on causes the problem to
> occur.
>
> Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask the vendor's
> technical support for help.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> fieryscot wrote:
> > Hi Leonard,
> >
> > I tested IE in no add-ons mode and everything is working fine now.
> >
> > I am not up to speed with add-ons, do I have to do anything to rectify the
> > add-ons problem, or is it okay to use IE in the no add-ons mode when I using
> > multiple tabs.
> >
> > Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode.
> >>
> >> Problems can result when add-ons, such as ActiveX controls and browser
> >> toolbars, conflict with Internet Explorer 7 or if they are damaged..
> >>
> >> Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer
> >> (No Add-Ons)
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> >> following target path:
> >>
> >> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
> >>
> >> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> >> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est
> >>
> >> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330952,00.asp

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Glad to help.
---

fieryscot wrote:
> Thank you Leonard, you have been very helpful
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
>> problem:
>>
>> 1- Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons.
>>
>> 2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
>> Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
>> each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
>> Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
>>
>> 3- Exit and then restart Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to
>> Manage Add-ons > click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single
>> add-on, then exit and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works
>> properly. Repeat until you determine which add-on causes the problem to
>> occur.
>>
>> Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask the vendor's
>> technical support for help.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>
>> fieryscot wrote:
>>> Hi Leonard,
>>>
>>> I tested IE in no add-ons mode and everything is working fine now.
>>>
>>> I am not up to speed with add-ons, do I have to do anything to rectify the
>>> add-ons problem, or is it okay to use IE in the no add-ons mode when I using
>>> multiple tabs.
>>>
>>> Thanks for all your help, much appreciated.

fieryscot

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
Oh dear, I spoke too soon.

I am still having this hanging problem even when using internet explorer
with no add-ons.

My computer has got really sluggish and slow.

Any other bright ideas?

Thank you so much.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Glad to help.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> fieryscot wrote:
> > Thank you Leonard, you have been very helpful
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
> >> problem:
> >>
> >> 1- Tools > Manage Add-ons > Enable or Disable Add-ons.
> >>
> >> 2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
> >> Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
> >> each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
> >> Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.
> >>
> >> 3- Exit and then restart Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to
> >> Manage Add-ons > click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single
> >> add-on, then exit and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works
> >> properly. Repeat until you determine which add-on causes the problem to
> >> occur.
> >>
> >> Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask the vendor's
> >> technical support for help.
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est
> >>
> >> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330952,00.asp

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer Hanging When Multiple Tabs Open
IMO, you can get to work on removing whatever infection(s) your computer
has.

Or try this: Open Task Manager to the Processes tab and park it in a
corner of your monitor. When your computer is acting sluggish, find out
what process is occupying most of the CPU's resources.
---