Cannot sort Favorites by name

Walter R.

Cannot sort Favorites by name
Running IE7 on XP SP2.

I imported my Favorites from IE6 when I installed IE7. They show up,
correctly sorted, when I click on the Favorites Star in the Tool bar (on the
left side). They also show up, correctly sorted, when I use the Organize
Favorites button.

However, the are partially unsorted, they start with the g's instead of the
a's, when I click on the Add to Favorites button (Star with +sign) and look
at the drop down menu. This makes it hard to find a folder in the Favorites
when I want to add another Favorite link to the same folder.

How can I get the Favorite folders in the drop down menu to display in
alphabetical order? Did the registry screw this up?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Leonard Grey

Re: Cannot sort Favorites by name
(Sigh...everybody thinks they have a registry problem.)

1- Click on the yellow Star in the toolbar (or press Alt+C.)

2- Click the Favorites button (if it is not already selected.)

3- Right-click on any Favorite and select "Sort By Name".

When you add Favorites you often have to re-select this option for them
to be re-sorted.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Walter R. wrote:
> Running IE7 on XP SP2.
>
> I imported my Favorites from IE6 when I installed IE7. They show up,
> correctly sorted, when I click on the Favorites Star in the Tool bar (on the
> left side). They also show up, correctly sorted, when I use the Organize
> Favorites button.
>
> However, the are partially unsorted, they start with the g's instead of the
> a's, when I click on the Add to Favorites button (Star with +sign) and look
> at the drop down menu. This makes it hard to find a folder in the Favorites
> when I want to add another Favorite link to the same folder.
>
> How can I get the Favorite folders in the drop down menu to display in
> alphabetical order? Did the registry screw this up?

Walter R.

Re: Cannot sort Favorites by name
Thanks, but I have no problem with the list of favorites where I select a
favorite (the "star" list), that list is nicely sorted by name. I even had
it resort itself again.

The problem is in the drop down menu list where I ADD a favorite to my
Favorites, that is the list (the +star icon list) which refuses to be
alphabetized. This drop down list can not be right clicked and therefore the
names of the Favorites on this list cannot be alphabetized.

I had a similar problem when I switched from IE6 to Firefox. The favorites
transferred to Firefox also started with the g's.

Puzzling

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

-
> (Sigh...everybody thinks they have a registry problem.)
>
> 1- Click on the yellow Star in the toolbar (or press Alt+C.)
>
> 2- Click the Favorites button (if it is not already selected.)
>
> 3- Right-click on any Favorite and select "Sort By Name".
>
> When you add Favorites you often have to re-select this option for them to
> be re-sorted.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> Walter R. wrote:
>> Running IE7 on XP SP2.
>>
>> I imported my Favorites from IE6 when I installed IE7. They show up,
>> correctly sorted, when I click on the Favorites Star in the Tool bar (on
>> the left side). They also show up, correctly sorted, when I use the
>> Organize Favorites button.
>>
>> However, the are partially unsorted, they start with the g's instead of
>> the a's, when I click on the Add to Favorites button (Star with +sign)
>> and look at the drop down menu. This makes it hard to find a folder in
>> the Favorites when I want to add another Favorite link to the same
>> folder.
>>
>> How can I get the Favorite folders in the drop down menu to display in
>> alphabetical order? Did the registry screw this up?

Leonard Grey

Re: Cannot sort Favorites by name
Click on the +Star > Organize Favorites... > right-click on any folder >
select 'Sort by Name'

Many of us prefer to use Windows Explorer to organize Favorites.
---

Walter R. wrote:
> Thanks, but I have no problem with the list of favorites where I select a
> favorite (the "star" list), that list is nicely sorted by name. I even had
> it resort itself again.
>
> The problem is in the drop down menu list where I ADD a favorite to my
> Favorites, that is the list (the +star icon list) which refuses to be
> alphabetized. This drop down list can not be right clicked and therefore the
> names of the Favorites on this list cannot be alphabetized.
>
> I had a similar problem when I switched from IE6 to Firefox. The favorites
> transferred to Firefox also started with the g's.
>
> Puzzling

ju.c

Re: Cannot sort Favorites by name
Try this and let me know if it works:

1. Copy below and paste into Notepad.

----------copy inside only----------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
----------copy inside only----------

2. Save-as IE_Sort.reg (or any name + .reg).

3. Double-click or right-click and merge into the registry.

ju.c

"Walter R." <wer25@example.com> wrote in message news:OEJqCgcIJHA.4896@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Running IE7 on XP SP2.
>
> I imported my Favorites from IE6 when I installed IE7. They show up,
> correctly sorted, when I click on the Favorites Star in the Tool bar (on the
> left side). They also show up, correctly sorted, when I use the Organize
> Favorites button.
>
> However, the are partially unsorted, they start with the g's instead of the
> a's, when I click on the Add to Favorites button (Star with +sign) and look
> at the drop down menu. This makes it hard to find a folder in the Favorites
> when I want to add another Favorite link to the same folder.
>
> How can I get the Favorite folders in the drop down menu to display in
> alphabetical order? Did the registry screw this up?
>

> --
> Walter
> www.rationality.net
> -

ju.c

Re: Cannot sort Favorites by name
SORT FAVORITES BY NAME

You can right-click on a Favorite and select
"Sort by Name", but this apparently only works
if done via the Menu Bar.
(File-Edit-View-Favorites-Tools-Help)

If that does not work:

Favorites May Not Sort in Alphabetical Order
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=259735

- When you try to sort your favorites in alphabetical
order, some of the favorites may not appear in order.
- This issue can occur if you have more that 193
favorites listed on the Favorites menu.
- To resolve this issue, move the favorites into
subfolders, or delete any unused favorites until you
have less than 193.

Instructions:

1. It's easier to sort your Favorites into subfolders
using Windows Explorer than from inside IE. To open
your Favorites folder, open the Run box and enter:
%UserProfile%\Favorites\

2. To reset the sort order to alphabetical, and have
your settings remembered, copy below and paste into
Notepad.

----------copy inside only----------
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000
----------copy inside only----------

3. Save-as IE_Sort.reg (or any name + .reg).

4. Double-click or right-click and merge into the registry.