IE 7 error msgs & not working at all

mumsrock

IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
Each time I've tried to upgrade to IE 7, I get this msg:
"itype.exe-EntryPointNotFound The procedure entry point
GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be locatedin the dynamic link library
PSAPI.DLL"
This has happened every time, and I'm forced to do a System Restore as no
programs, nor any internet apps will work, and every time I try to open
ANYTHING (including non-internet) the above msg comes up..
Please help...
mumsrock

RE: IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
sorry, I should have also stated that I'm using Windows XP Home, with Service
Pack 2 :-)

"mumsrock" wrote:

> Each time I've tried to upgrade to IE 7, I get this msg:
> "itype.exe-EntryPointNotFound The procedure entry point
> GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be locatedin the dynamic link library
> PSAPI.DLL"
> This has happened every time, and I'm forced to do a System Restore as no
> programs, nor any internet apps will work, and every time I try to open
> ANYTHING (including non-internet) the above msg comes up..
> Please help...

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
From http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

"If you install IE7 and the following error message begins to show:

The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located
in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL

1. Search your hard disk for PSAPI.dll.
2. Any copies of this DLL that are found outside of the Windows or
Windows\System32 folder should be renamed to PSAPI.bak.

The website also has a script you can run if you'd rather not try the
steps above.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

mumsrock wrote:
> sorry, I should have also stated that I'm using Windows XP Home, with Service
> Pack 2 :-)
>
> "mumsrock" wrote:
>
>> Each time I've tried to upgrade to IE 7, I get this msg:
>> "itype.exe-EntryPointNotFound The procedure entry point
>> GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be locatedin the dynamic link library
>> PSAPI.DLL"
>> This has happened every time, and I'm forced to do a System Restore as no
>> programs, nor any internet apps will work, and every time I try to open
>> ANYTHING (including non-internet) the above msg comes up..
>> Please help...

mumsrock

Re: IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
Thanks, but no program (wouldn't even let me search) will open once IE7 is
installed...The error msg just comes up, and it takes 5+ times of pressin OK
to make it go away, BUT then as soon as I try to open something again, the
error msg returns..

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> From http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>
> "If you install IE7 and the following error message begins to show:
>
> The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located
> in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL
>
> 1. Search your hard disk for PSAPI.dll.
> 2. Any copies of this DLL that are found outside of the Windows or
> Windows\System32 folder should be renamed to PSAPI.bak.
>
> The website also has a script you can run if you'd rather not try the
> steps above.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> mumsrock wrote:
> > sorry, I should have also stated that I'm using Windows XP Home, with Service
> > Pack 2 :-)
> >
> > "mumsrock" wrote:
> >
> >> Each time I've tried to upgrade to IE 7, I get this msg:
> >> "itype.exe-EntryPointNotFound The procedure entry point
> >> GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be locatedin the dynamic link library
> >> PSAPI.DLL"
> >> This has happened every time, and I'm forced to do a System Restore as no
> >> programs, nor any internet apps will work, and every time I try to open
> >> ANYTHING (including non-internet) the above msg comes up..
> >> Please help...

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
Before installing IE 7 you need to carefully follow the procedures
described here (which, for the most part, should be followed whenever
you install or upgrade software):

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Suggestion: Uninstall IE 7 (which returns you
to IE 6) by following these directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. Tip:
Download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and install from
your hard disk:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

---

mumsrock wrote:
> Thanks, but no program (wouldn't even let me search) will open once IE7 is
> installed...The error msg just comes up, and it takes 5+ times of pressin OK
> to make it go away, BUT then as soon as I try to open something again, the
> error msg returns..
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> From http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
>>
>> "If you install IE7 and the following error message begins to show:
>>
>> The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located
>> in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL
>>
>> 1. Search your hard disk for PSAPI.dll.
>> 2. Any copies of this DLL that are found outside of the Windows or
>> Windows\System32 folder should be renamed to PSAPI.bak.
>>
>> The website also has a script you can run if you'd rather not try the
>> steps above.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>
>> mumsrock wrote:
>>> sorry, I should have also stated that I'm using Windows XP Home, with Service
>>> Pack 2 :-)

mumsrock

Re: IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
Hi
I don't have Vista, I have XP Home with Service Pack 2...
I have followed all applicable suggested advice, and still had the same
problems...When I did a search for the DLL files, 4 came up, but 2 were in
WINDOWS and the other 2 were in Windows/system 32... I searched hidden files
aswell...
Went to Microsoft website and downloaded IE7, but then istalled from my
hardrive, but still same probs..

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Before installing IE 7 you need to carefully follow the procedures
> described here (which, for the most part, should be followed whenever
> you install or upgrade software):
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Suggestion: Uninstall IE 7 (which returns you
> to IE 6) by following these directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. Tip:
> Download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and install from
> your hard disk:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>
> mumsrock wrote:
> > Thanks, but no program (wouldn't even let me search) will open once IE7 is
> > installed...The error msg just comes up, and it takes 5+ times of pressin OK
> > to make it go away, BUT then as soon as I try to open something again, the
> > error msg returns..
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> From http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp
> >>
> >> "If you install IE7 and the following error message begins to show:
> >>
> >> The procedure entry point GetProcessImageFileNameW could not be located
> >> in the dynamic link library PSAPI.DLL
> >>
> >> 1. Search your hard disk for PSAPI.dll.
> >> 2. Any copies of this DLL that are found outside of the Windows or
> >> Windows\System32 folder should be renamed to PSAPI.bak.
> >>
> >> The website also has a script you can run if you'd rather not try the
> >> steps above.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare humanum est
> >>
> >> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2330952,00.asp

Donald Anadell

"mumsrock" <mumsrock@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I don't have Vista, I have XP Home with Service Pack 2...
> I have followed all applicable suggested advice, and still had the same
> problems...When I did a search for the DLL files, 4 came up, but 2 were in
> WINDOWS and the other 2 were in Windows/system 32... I searched hidden
> files
> aswell...

Reference:
Note: Do not delete||rename the "psapi.dll" file that is in
...\windows\system32

There should only be one instance of the PSAPI.dll, located the SYSTEM32
folder. The version for your Service Pack level should be 5.1.2600.2180.

If renaming all instances of that DLL file except the one in the System32
folder does not resolve the issue, then have your Windows XP installation
disk handy and try the following:

Click START | Run and type in
sfc /scannow

This should update PSAPI.dll and register the correct version in your
System32 folder.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Went to Microsoft website and downloaded IE7, but then istalled from my
> hardrive, but still same probs..
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Before installing IE 7 you need to carefully follow the procedures
>> described here (which, for the most part, should be followed whenever
>> you install or upgrade software):
>>
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>>
>> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
>> incomplete installation. Suggestion: Uninstall IE 7 (which returns you
>> to IE 6) by following these directions:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>> ....and...
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. Tip:
>> Download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and install from
>> your hard disk:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx
>>
>> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
>> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine
>>
>> mumsrock wrote:
>> > Thanks, but no program (wouldn't even let me search) will open once IE7
>> > is
>> > installed...The error msg just comes up, and it takes 5+ times of
>> > pressin OK
>> > to make it go away, BUT then as soon as I try to open something again,
>> > the
>> > error msg returns..

Leonard Grey

Re: IE 7 error msgs & not working at all
The link I gave you applies to XP as well.
---