How to uninstall IE7

Miss_Sue

How to uninstall IE7
I am having a problem with Family Tree Maker v.16. Apparently a registry
cleaner has removed or messed up some of my registry files. I've followed
the company's directions but the IE version is 6, I'm running 7. When I
contacted the company, they told me I needed to remove 7 and reinstall.

Problem: When I go to remove the program, IE 7 is listed in the program
files, but when I click on it the "REMOVE" (or any other button) is not
shown. If I do a search on the files and try removing them that way, I'm
told to use "Remove Program". A vicious circle.

I am running XP, the system it came loaded with IE6. Through the auto
updates, IE7 replaced IE6...not by my choice but I've learned to live with
it.

How can I remove IE7 so I can reinstall. I have added Foxfire to my
desktop just so I can go back out and add IE 7 back to my system, then I'll
remove Foxfire again.

Sue
Leonard Grey

Re: How to uninstall IE7
The User Agent String will help.

"A utility that opens an Internet Explorer 7.0 window that is configured
to report its identity to websites as being Internet Explorer 6.0."

IE 7 is considerably more secure than IE 6. I would never go back to IE 6.

Some other tips:

1- Do not try to remove a program by deleting its files. That won't work
for anything but the simplest of programs (e.g., a single executable.)

2- IE 7 was a 'high priority' update, not a 'critical' update. High
priority updates are not installed unless you agree.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Miss_Sue wrote:
> I am having a problem with Family Tree Maker v.16. Apparently a registry
> cleaner has removed or messed up some of my registry files. I've followed
> the company's directions but the IE version is 6, I'm running 7. When I
> contacted the company, they told me I needed to remove 7 and reinstall.
>
> Problem: When I go to remove the program, IE 7 is listed in the program
> files, but when I click on it the "REMOVE" (or any other button) is not
> shown. If I do a search on the files and try removing them that way, I'm
> told to use "Remove Program". A vicious circle.
>
> I am running XP, the system it came loaded with IE6. Through the auto
> updates, IE7 replaced IE6...not by my choice but I've learned to live with
> it.
>
> How can I remove IE7 so I can reinstall. I have added Foxfire to my
> desktop just so I can go back out and add IE 7 back to my system, then I'll
> remove Foxfire again.
>
> Sue

nass

RE: How to uninstall IE7

"Miss_Sue" wrote:

> I am having a problem with Family Tree Maker v.16. Apparently a registry
> cleaner has removed or messed up some of my registry files. I've followed
> the company's directions but the IE version is 6, I'm running 7. When I
> contacted the company, they told me I needed to remove 7 and reinstall.
>
> Problem: When I go to remove the program, IE 7 is listed in the program
> files, but when I click on it the "REMOVE" (or any other button) is not
> shown. If I do a search on the files and try removing them that way, I'm
> told to use "Remove Program". A vicious circle.
>
> I am running XP, the system it came loaded with IE6. Through the auto
> updates, IE7 replaced IE6...not by my choice but I've learned to live with
> it.
>
> How can I remove IE7 so I can reinstall. I have added Foxfire to my
> desktop just so I can go back out and add IE 7 back to my system, then I'll
> remove Foxfire again.
>
> Sue

Do you have SP3 Installed?
<Q>
Internet Explorer:
"If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer® 7 or a beta version of
Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."
</Q>
Attention MS! Uninstalling IE7 after SP3 beeing installed results in IE6
SP2!
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...7973&SiteID=17
How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
<Q>
Method 2: Use Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
Step 1: Make hidden files and hidden folders visible
a. Click Start, and then click My Documents.
b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
c. Click the View tab.
d. In the Advanced settings list, under Hidden files and folders, click
Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.

Back to the top
Step 2: Run Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
a. Click Start, and then click Run.
b. In the Open box, type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click
OK.
c. Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.
After you uninstall Internet Explorer 7, double-click the Internet Explorer
icon to verify that Internet Explorer 6 is restored.
</Q>
HTH,
nass
---
http://www.nasstec.co.uk

Larc

Re: How to uninstall IE7
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 14:49:01 -0700, nass <nass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

| "Miss_Sue" wrote:
|
| > I am having a problem with Family Tree Maker v.16. Apparently a registry
| > cleaner has removed or messed up some of my registry files. I've followed
| > the company's directions but the IE version is 6, I'm running 7. When I
| > contacted the company, they told me I needed to remove 7 and reinstall.
| >
| > Problem: When I go to remove the program, IE 7 is listed in the program
| > files, but when I click on it the "REMOVE" (or any other button) is not
| > shown. If I do a search on the files and try removing them that way, I'm
| > told to use "Remove Program". A vicious circle.
| >
| > I am running XP, the system it came loaded with IE6. Through the auto
| > updates, IE7 replaced IE6...not by my choice but I've learned to live with
| > it.
| >
| > How can I remove IE7 so I can reinstall. I have added Foxfire to my
| > desktop just so I can go back out and add IE 7 back to my system, then I'll
| > remove Foxfire again.
| >
| > Sue
|
| Do you have SP3 Installed?
| <Q>
| Internet Explorer:
| "If you have installed Windows Internet Explorer« 7 or a beta version of
| Internet Explorer 8, and then install Windows XP SP3, you cannot uninstall
| Internet Explorer. To avoid this, ensure Internet Explorer 7 or a beta
| version of Internet Explorer 8 is not installed before installing Windows XP
| SP3. If you have already encountered this issue, uninstall Windows XP SP3,
| uninstall Internet Explorer, and then reinstall Windows XP SP3."
| </Q>
| Attention MS! Uninstalling IE7 after SP3 beeing installed results in IE6
| SP2!
| http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...7973&SiteID=17
| How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
| <Q>
| Method 2: Use Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
| Step 1: Make hidden files and hidden folders visible
| a. Click Start, and then click My Documents.
| b. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
| c. Click the View tab.
| d. In the Advanced settings list, under Hidden files and folders, click
| Show hidden files and folders, and then click OK.
|
| Back to the top
| Step 2: Run Spuninst.exe to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
| a. Click Start, and then click Run.
| b. In the Open box, type %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe, and then click
| OK.
| c. Follow the wizard instructions to uninstall Internet Explorer 7.
| After you uninstall Internet Explorer 7, double-click the Internet Explorer
| icon to verify that Internet Explorer 6 is restored.

I was able to uninstall IE7 and revert to IE6 for a repair install due to change
of motherboard without first deleting SP3.

First, I booted with the WinXP install disc and navigated to Recovery Console.
Once I got the C:\Windows> prompt, I input the following:

cd ie7\spuninst [ENTER]
batch spuninst.txt [ENTER]

That got rid of some files that XP SP3 wouldn't have allowed to be deleted if it
had been running. Actually, the following three files weren't deleted, but I
was able to delete them manually after I restarted XP:

C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\En-US\hmmapi.dll.mui
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\En-US\iedw.exe.mui
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\En-US\iexplore.exe.mui

When I ran the batch command and got warnings some files couldn't be accessed
for deletion (it was too fast to see the file names), I printed a copy of
C:\Windows\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.txt so I could visually check names of files to
be deleted to see which ones hadn't been. That was time consuming, but not
nearly as much so as uninstalling and then re-installing SP3 would have been.
Plus all those post SP3 updates!

After that, I followed method 2 above. Following a reboot, I had IE6 SP2 again
instead of IE7. The Windows Internet Explorer 7 listing was gone from Add or
Remove Programs.

Larc