Internet Sites stop working

PeterK

Internet Sites stop working
When I use any site on the internet for more than about a 1/2 hour, that site
no longer works although other websites still work. I am using Windows Vista
and IE 7. Any suggestions?

Re: Internet Sites stop working
In no certain order:

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

PeterK wrote:
> When I use any site on the internet for more than about a 1/2 hour, that
> site no longer works although other websites still work. I am using
> Windows Vista and IE 7. Any suggestions?

VanguardLH

PeterK wrote:

> When I use any site on the internet for more than about a 1/2 hour, that site
> no longer works although other websites still work. I am using Windows Vista
> and IE 7. Any suggestions?

Give an example web site. Could be the one(s) where you have this
problem restrict an IP from accessing it continually for more than half
an hour (but that would imply a persistent connection rather than the
normal stuttered one where you continuous connect and disconnect).
PeterK

Re: Internet Sites stop working
One example of a website is www4.uwm.edu/ but the issue is not limited to
that site. It basically occurs on any website that I frequently use.

PeterK wrote:

> One example of a website is www4.uwm.edu/ but the issue is not limited to
> that site. It basically occurs on any website that I frequently use.
>
> "VanguardLH" wrote:
>
>> PeterK wrote:
>>
>>> When I use any site on the internet for more than about a 1/2 hour, that site
>>> no longer works although other websites still work. I am using Windows Vista
>>> and IE 7. Any suggestions?

>> Give an example web site. Could be the one(s) where you have this
>> problem restrict an IP from accessing it continually for more than half
>> an hour (but that would imply a persistent connection rather than the
>> normal stuttered one where you continuous connect and disconnect).

Are you simply leaving your browser open to a web page (that got
downloaded and is being rendered locally) for a half-hour, or longer?
Or are you actually using that site?

Some connections, like DSL, are still dial-up connections. You lose
your session after awhile and have to reestablish it. Takes under half
a second to do the handshake so you won't notice it. However, losing
the session means you could lose the connection to the site. I would
think closing all instances of iexplore.exe would allow you to start a
new one to force a new session with your ISP to use that site (but
you'll probably have to login again). Check PPPoE setup in your NAT
router to see if it has a keep-alive option (if you're using PPPoE, that
is, and if you are using a DSL connection).