IE-7 Printing Page 'As Laid Out On Screen'?

guyrws

IE-7 Printing Page 'As Laid Out On Screen'?
Hello,
Yesterday I came across a problem when printing from IE-7. I assume it
must be site specific, as I have not had this problem before.
The site page is:
http://www.globalxperience.com/progr...rogramme_id=82
All I want to do is print the page as it appears on the screen. i.e.
onto 2 pages not 6. I have tried:
1. The frame work around as suggested by MS help that is Print/Options/
Print Frames. But the page is not constructed with frames so the
‘Print Frames’ is not active, so not selectable.
2. Opera
3. Firefox
4. A print add-on called PrintPunk

Has anyone any suggestions please?
Guy.
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE-7 Printing Page 'As Laid Out On Screen'?
"guyrws" <grwsmith@dsl.pipex.com> wrote in message

(Google Groups Quoted Printable)

> Has anyone any suggestions please?

Use Print Preview to figure out which pages you want to print
and then select those.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

<QP>
Hello,
Yesterday I came across a problem when printing from IE-7. I assume it
must be site specific, as I have not had this problem before.
The site page is:
http://www.globalxperience.com/progr...rogramme_id=82
All I want to do is print the page as it appears on the screen. i.e.
onto 2 pages not 6. I have tried:
1. The frame work around as suggested by MS help that is Print/Options/
Print Frames. But the page is not constructed with frames so the
‘Print Frames’ is not active, so not selectable.
2. Opera
3. Firefox
4. A print add-on called PrintPunk

Has anyone any suggestions please?
Guy.
</QP>

guyrws

Re: IE-7 Printing Page 'As Laid Out On Screen'?
The trouble with that is: when you go to print preview there are six
pages there instead of two. I have also tried selecting all in the IE
window then going to print preview and selecting 'As Laid Out On
Screen' but still no luck.
Has anyone any more ideas please?
Daniel Crichton

guyrws wrote on Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:48:56 -0700 (PDT):

> Hello,
> Yesterday I came across a problem when printing from IE-7. I assume it
> must be site specific, as I have not had this problem before.
> The site page is:
> http://www.globalxperience.com/progr...rview2.php?pk_
> programme_id=82
> All I want to do is print the page as it appears on the screen. i.e.
> onto 2 pages not 6. I have tried:
> 1. The frame work around as suggested by MS help that is Print/Options/
> Print Frames. But the page is not constructed with frames so the ‘Print
> Frames’ is not active, so not selectable.
> 2. Opera
> 3. Firefox
> 4. A print add-on called PrintPunk

> Has anyone any suggestions please?
> Guy.

At a guess, it's due to the CSS being defined as for "screen" and no CSS for
"print", so IE is printing this as specified by the author - with no layout
formatting. If you save the source to your hard disk, add the following line
within the head section:

<base href="http://www.globalxperience.com/programmes/">

and then remove all the

media="screen"

attributes from the CSS references, and load that saved page into IE, when
you print it it'll look almost like the site does (the adverts down the left
get pulled onto page 2, and so page 3 is just the strip of logos at the
bottom of the page).

This is just lazy use of CSS - when defining CSS to use for a particular
media (in this case "screen", for displaying on a screen) the author should
include additional CSS files to use for other media types (eg. "print"). If
the CSS is to be used for all purposes then the media attribute should be
left out.

--
Dan

Daniel Crichton

Daniel wrote to guyrws on Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:28:00 +0100:

> guyrws wrote on Sat, 27 Sep 2008 02:48:56 -0700 (PDT):

>> Hello,
>> Yesterday I came across a problem when printing from IE-7. I assume
>> it must be site specific, as I have not had this problem before.
>> The site page is:
>> http://www.globalxperience.com/progr...rview2.php?pk_
>> programme_id=82
>> All I want to do is print the page as it appears on the screen. i.e.
>> onto 2 pages not 6. I have tried:
>> 1. The frame work around as suggested by MS help that is
>> Print/Options/
>> Print Frames. But the page is not constructed with frames so the
>> ‘Print
>> Frames’ is not active, so not selectable.
>> 2. Opera
>> 3. Firefox
>> 4. A print add-on called PrintPunk

>> Has anyone any suggestions please?
>> Guy.

> At a guess, it's due to the CSS being defined as for "screen" and no
> CSS for "print", so IE is printing this as specified by the author -
> with no layout formatting.

If you hadn't guessed, I wrote that before actually testing my theory and
posting what I did to test it. I just forgot to amend the above to remove
"At a guess,"

--
Dan

thetimebinder@gmail.com

Re: IE-7 Printing Page 'As Laid Out On Screen'?
I am having the same problem. My IE 7 used to print pages as seen on
screen just fine, but now my Print Frame option box is all dimmed out
with the "Print frames individually" selected and me not allowed to
change it.

What can I do to enable the Print frames option box?

Darrin
Phoenix , AZ