Re: Internet Explorer 7 dramas

[Crossposted to IE General newsgroup]

Error message after you install a Windows Internet Explorer 7 update from
Windows Update or from Microsoft Update: "Webpage cannot be displayed":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942818

If tweaking your third-party firewall's settings don't help, try the
following:

1. Disable your anti-virus application, all Norton Add-ons (if any), any
real-time protection provided by an anti-spyware application (except for
Windows Defender; includes Spybot Tea Timer, SpySweeper Guards, AVG AS
guard.exe, etc.), disable any third-party firewall AND THEN enable the
Windows Firewall.

browsing; reading email; chatting) except #4 below until your anti-virus
application has been re-enabled! If you're running ZA Free firewall, you
may need to uninstall it instead of disabling it.

2. Uninstall "Security Update for Windows Internet Explorer 7 (KB953838)"
via Control Panel | Security | Windows Update | View installed updates and
reboot.

3. Re-do #1 above.

4. Run Windows Update manually and install any Important updates offered
(i.e., KB953838). If a Root Certificates update is listed in the Optional
Updates category (and chances are that it will be), install it to take full
advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

5. Reboot > Make sure everything in #1 above is enabled again and, if
applicable, disable the Windows Firewall and enable (or reinstall) your
third-party firewall.

=> Those with IE7-specific questions or comments are asked to post to and
seek support in this newsgroup: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general

On the web:

In your newsreader:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB123456).

LOOK! => If your problem relates to a Cumulative Security Update for IE,
call the above number and ask to be transferred to the Consumer IE7 queue
(which is 47830).

your usual support contacts.

Support for Windows Update:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net