Internet Shortcuts

Oreally

Internet Shortcuts
I apologize to the forum, but I am still having an issue with Internet
Shortcuts.... in file types (XP).

Can someone please specify the precise application to open: 1) Internet
Shortcut (no extension) and 2) URL Internet Shortcut?

Thanks Much

Oreally

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Shortcuts
Hi,
IE7 on XP...

URL Internet Shortcut
rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
That's OpenURL % lower case L (ell)
It can be difficult to tell with some fonts ;-)

Internet Shortcut (no extension)
same as above

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Oreally" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:LpednYVMkrjWpkDVnZ2dnUVZ_tjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> I apologize to the forum, but I am still having an issue with Internet
> Shortcuts.... in file types (XP).
>
> Can someone please specify the precise application to open: 1) Internet
> Shortcut (no extension) and 2) URL Internet Shortcut?
>
> Thanks Much
>
> Oreally

sasha gottfried

Re: Internet Shortcuts
This is what I have now:
rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l

Should I change it as suggested? to: rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l

Just want to make sure it's right.

Thanks

Marc

> Hi,
> IE7 on XP...
>
> URL Internet Shortcut
> rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
> That's OpenURL % lower case L (ell)
> It can be difficult to tell with some fonts ;-)
>
> Internet Shortcut (no extension)
> same as above
>
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "Oreally" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:LpednYVMkrjWpkDVnZ2dnUVZ_tjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> I apologize to the forum, but I am still having an issue with Internet
>> Shortcuts.... in file types (XP).
>>
>> Can someone please specify the precise application to open: 1) Internet
>> Shortcut (no extension) and 2) URL Internet Shortcut?
>>
>> Thanks Much
>>
>> Oreally

Don Varnau

Re: Internet Shortcuts
Your current "open with" string is correct for IE6. You didn't specify your
IE
version. ;-)
That's why I wrote
> > IE7 on XP...

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"sasha gottfried" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0_adnfLR8dt17UDVnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> This is what I have now:
> rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
>
> Should I change it as suggested? to: rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
>
> Just want to make sure it's right.
>

> Thanks
>

> Marc

> > Hi,
> > IE7 on XP...
> >
> > URL Internet Shortcut
> > rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
> > That's OpenURL % lower case L (ell)
> > It can be difficult to tell with some fonts ;-)
> >
> > Internet Shortcut (no extension)
> > same as above

> > "Oreally" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > news:LpednYVMkrjWpkDVnZ2dnUVZ_tjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> >> I apologize to the forum, but I am still having an issue with Internet
> >> Shortcuts.... in file types (XP).
> >>
> >> Can someone please specify the precise application to open: 1) Internet
> >> Shortcut (no extension) and 2) URL Internet Shortcut?
> >>
> >> Thanks Much
> >>
> >> Oreally

sasha gottfried

Re: Internet Shortcuts
Ok...........It's IE6

Thanks

> Your current "open with" string is correct for IE6. You didn't specify
> your
> IE
> version. ;-)
> That's why I wrote
>> > IE7 on XP...

> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "sasha gottfried" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:0_adnfLR8dt17UDVnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> This is what I have now:
>> rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
>>
>> Should I change it as suggested? to: rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
>>
>> Just want to make sure it's right.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Marc

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > IE7 on XP...
>> >
>> > URL Internet Shortcut
>> > rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
>> > That's OpenURL % lower case L (ell)
>> > It can be difficult to tell with some fonts ;-)
>> >
>> > Internet Shortcut (no extension)
>> > same as above

>> > "Oreally" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > news:LpednYVMkrjWpkDVnZ2dnUVZ_tjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..

Oreally

Re: Internet Shortcuts
RE: IE6

It's still impossible, for some reason, to change that particular
string-related icon without IE6 giving up its default browser setting and
then changing ALL THE ICONS back to their default setting. All the other
Intenet shortcuts (HTML, etc) can be changed without effecting IE. But if I
change the icon for either of the 2 Internet Shortcuts (URL, or the none
extension) then IE asks upon startup if it should be the default browser and
the icons are changed back to the default.
These icons seem to have some proprietary status. I tried iconfx and reshack
but the same issue occurs.

Any suggestions welcome.

Marc

> Your current "open with" string is correct for IE6. You didn't specify
> your
> IE
> version. ;-)
> That's why I wrote
>> > IE7 on XP...

> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "sasha gottfried" <sashago@comcast.net> wrote in message
> news:0_adnfLR8dt17UDVnZ2dnUVZ_qjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> This is what I have now:
>> rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll,OpenURL %l
>>
>> Should I change it as suggested? to: rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
>>
>> Just want to make sure it's right.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Marc

>> "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > IE7 on XP...
>> >
>> > URL Internet Shortcut
>> > rundll32.exe ieframe.dll,OpenURL %l
>> > That's OpenURL % lower case L (ell)
>> > It can be difficult to tell with some fonts ;-)
>> >
>> > Internet Shortcut (no extension)
>> > same as above

>> > "Oreally" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> > news:LpednYVMkrjWpkDVnZ2dnUVZ_tjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..

ju.c

Re: Internet Shortcuts
You should try this file association fix from Doug Knox, worked for me:

Windows XP File Association Fixes by Doug Knox
Info: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
Download: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc...ortcut_fix.zip

ju.c

"Oreally" <oreally@comcast.net> wrote in message news:LpednYVMkrjWpkDVnZ2dnUVZ_tjinZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> I apologize to the forum, but I am still having an issue with Internet
> Shortcuts.... in file types (XP).
>
> Can someone please specify the precise application to open: 1) Internet
> Shortcut (no extension) and 2) URL Internet Shortcut?
>
> Thanks Much
>

> Oreally

Oreally

Re: Internet Shortcuts
Nothing doing there....but thanks for the site, could come in handy.

Meanwhile this issue still is not resolved in IE6 (as far as I can see) and
is much worse in IE7 and 8! Upgrading to 7 or 8 causes all the icons to
change to system icons. This has been documented by microsoft, but their
fixes are a farce. Admittedly this is a 'cosmetic' issue, but it does not
instill confidence in the software when something as basic as icons are left
helter skelter by the programmers.

Oreally