Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?

Russell

Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?
Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file? If
so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because some of
the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.
Thanks,
Russell

Leonard Grey

Re: Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?
No, you cannot stop your computer from using the Hosts file (at least,
not by any method that Microsoft supports.)

If you are using your Hosts file to filter ads then the parts of the
page you do not see come from server addresses that you added to your
Hosts file. That can be a consequence of using the Hosts file to block ads.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Russell wrote:
> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file? If
> so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because some of
> the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.
> Thanks,
> Russell

Re: Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?
What anti-spyware applications are you running?

What webpage components aren't appearing anymore (e.g., ads on [url])?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Russell wrote:
> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file? If
> so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because some
> of
> the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.
> Thanks,
> Russell

Jim

"Russell" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file? If
> so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because some
> of the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.
> Thanks,
> Russell

NO. The HOSTS file is required by the internet protocol.
You can eliminate it from contention by insuring that this is the only
active line in the file:
127.0.0.1 local_host
Jim

Jason

Re: Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?
I thought it was localhost?
"Jim" <j.n@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

> "Russell" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
>> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file?
>> If so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because
>> some of the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.
>> Thanks,
>> Russell
>>

> NO. The HOSTS file is required by the internet protocol.
> You can eliminate it from contention by insuring that this is the only
> active line in the file:
> 127.0.0.1 local_host
> Jim

N. Miller

On Sat, 27 Sep 2008 16:57:11 +1200, Jason wrote:

> "Jim" <j.n@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

>> "Russell" <fake@email.com> wrote in message

>>> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file?
>>> If so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because
>>> some of the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.

>> NO. The HOSTS file is required by the internet protocol.
>> You can eliminate it from contention by insuring that this is the only
>> active line in the file:
>> 127.0.0.1 local_host

> I thought it was localhost?

Default is 'localhost'. But you can change it to suit your taste.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?
"Russell" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file? If
> so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because some
> of the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.
> Thanks,
> Russell

IE version?
Windows version and Service Pack level?
What third party security programs do you have running?

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Would it be okay to stop using the HOSTS file?
"Russell" <fake@email.com> wrote in message
> Would my computer run okay if I stopped it from using the "HOSTS" file? If
> so, how can I do that? The reason I want to stop using it is because some
> of the compontents of webpages do not show up anymore.

For WinXP:

Check C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc for a file named HOSTS with no
extension. (Not Hosts.sam)
Make sure Windows is set to show hidden files and folders and is NOT set to
hide extensions for known file types.
If HOSTS exists, rename it to HOSTS.OLD
Reboot an try again.

Or, In a Cmd window, enter