Internet Explorer 7 crashing after installing SP3 on XP Home

ldffly

Internet Explorer 7 crashing after installing SP3 on XP Home
My computer is on automatic update. On 9/24, MS installed SP3. This install
failed. MS automatically uninstalled SP3 and restored the system. The
system worked very poorly after the restore. After following MS instructions
(i.e., a registry manipulation), I did a reinstall of SP3 and that succeeded.

Now for the trouble that is left. When I run IE7, it eats up huge amounts
of memory. Occasionally, the thing crashes. Sometimes, the IE7 browser
won't load. This had never been a problem until after this install of SP3.
Once in awhile the browser simply disappears. Most of the time, I get an
error window stating, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error; Click Ok
to close." This crash happens almost everytime I open more than one browser
window. It also happens very often while running applications that call on
Java, e.g., stock market tickers.

I have disabled all ad ons. It makes no difference. I have run the
spyware, malware, anti virus checks etc. My computer is clean. Does anyone
else out there have this problem? If you have, are you aware of how to fix
it?

Dell computer, Intel CPU

OS: XP Home Edition SP3

Anti Virus: AVG 8.0

Thanks for any help.

LEE

Re: Internet Explorer 7 crashing after installing SP3 on XP Home
> ...Most of the time, I get an
> error window stating, "Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error; Click
> Ok
> to close."

1. That error's usually associated with having an outdated version of Google
Toolbar or Google Desktop installed. If uninstalling same resolves the
problem and you want it back, install the latest version.

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! Ignore any references to Vista on the
above page. It's safe to ignore any "such and such may not work" warnings.
Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/