Rendering DIVs on top of IFRAME when SRC is .MHT

robinsjm

Rendering DIVs on top of IFRAME when SRC is .MHT
Hello, all.

I have searched through forum after forum for the answer to this question
,and all I have come up with is the same question being asked but with no
relevant answers. If you can answer this, then you are a true guru.

Before IE 5.5, iframes were seen as windowed elements and could only be
rendered on that particular z-plane. With IE 5.5+, iframes are now
windowless, or so I have heard, which makes them so much easier to work with.
One can place a <div> over an iframe simply by <div style="z-index: 1;"> and
<iframe style="z-index: -100;">.

The problem is that it only seems to work when the SRC of the iframe is a
..txt or .html or something simpler than what I need it to be. My SRC for the
iframe happens to be a web archive .MHT, and it somehow causes the iframe to
ignore the z-index style attribute.

Does anyone know if there is a way to have the DIV element positioned above
an iframe with a SRC of .MHT?

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider this post.

-Jon
rob^_^

Re: Rendering DIVs on top of IFRAME when SRC is .MHT
Hi Jon,

A look at the mht file extension handler in the registry shows that it is
opened by "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Which would explain why the iframe containing MHT content obtains the top
z-order.

A MHT file is just a zipped archive of a web page.

You could try resetting the z-order of the iframe once its content has been
loaded.

Regards.

robinsjm2@gmail.com

On Sep 27, 2:34*am, "rob^_^" <iecustomi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jon,
>
> A look at the mht file extension handler in the registry shows that it is
> opened by "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
>
> Which would explain why the iframe containing MHT content obtains the top
> z-order.
>
> A MHT file is just a zipped archive of a web page.
>
> You could try resetting the z-order of the iframe once its content has been
> loaded.
>
> Regards.
>
> "robinsjm" <robin...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > Hello, all.

> > I have searched through forum after forum for the answer to this question
> > ,and all I have come up with is the same question being asked but with no
> > relevant answers. If you can answer this, then you are a true guru.

> > Before IE 5.5, iframes were seen as windowed elements and could only be
> > rendered on that particular z-plane. *With IE 5.5+, iframes are now
> > windowless, or so I have heard, which makes them so much easier to work
> > with.
> > One can place a <div> over an iframe simply by <div style="z-index: 1;">
> > and
> > <iframe style="z-index: -100;">.

> > The problem is that it only seems to work when the SRC of the iframe isa
> > .txt or .html or something simpler than what I need it to be. *My SRCfor
> > the
> > iframe happens to be a web archive .MHT, and it somehow causes the iframe
> > ignore the z-index style attribute.

> > Does anyone know if there is a way to have the DIV element positioned
> > above
> > an iframe with a SRC of .MHT?

> > Thank you for taking the time to read and consider this post.

> > -Jon

Thank you, Rob. I did try to set the z-index onload of the iframe as
well as post-load just to be sure but to no avail. Your insight
pointed me in the right direction which was to abandon the div over
content method. I resulted to the use of iframes. I have a hidden
iframe which gets its mission for where to position itself and with
what content when the user triggers the action. I used
myFrame.contentWindow.document.write() to handle the specifics.

I can do this with little consequence because I'm only required to
make it compatible with IE.

Thank you again for your help.

Respectfully,
Jon