IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update

iceman6

IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update
IE7 slowed to a crawl IMMEDIATELY after installation of SP3. VERY long waits
for pages to load while IE babbles that it is "waiting" on this, that, and
the other thing (including, on occassion waiting for "about blank"). Right
clicking to open a link in a new tab leaves the selection drop-down on screen
for 10-15 seconds and tabs that should take no more than 1-2 seconds to load
take more than a minute while the current tab is effectively frozen and IE7
staggers in circles like a poisoned calf. Indicated CPU usage rises to 70%
when there are several "stuck" tabs slowly loading over the course of minutes
(not seconds)

The machine has a VERY clean and lean system with 1.5GB memory and 3.0 GHz
P4. I have 7Mb/sec bandwidth that routinely tests at 6+Mb/sec so this is NOT
a connectivity problem (except maybe for MS IE)

I found a quick solution which I may use permanently ... which was to load
Google Chrome which is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than IE EVER was before MS
wrecked it with SP3. With Chrome, new tabs open essentially as fast as I can
right click them, which works well with my browsing style which is to open
10-12 tabs from the msnbc home page and then read each tab (sort of a build
it yourself newspaper). Incidentally, if I run both browsers simultaneously,
IE7 CRAWLS and Chrome slows only VERY slightly so the problem is clearly
related to IE7's relationship with something SP3 changed.

Chrome is working so well that I don't consider this a serious problem at
the moment but it ought to concern MS. I note VERY numerous similar
complaints on a number of websites. I also note with EXTREME displeasure
that the SP3 prevents uninstalling IE7 for a clean reinstallation, so the
most obvious fix is impossible.

I think I will just continue to use Chrome, but if anyone has suggestions I
am willing to try to fix IE7 just as a matter of intellectual curiosity.

Daniel Crichton

Re: IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update
iceman6 wrote on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 04:59:01 -0700:

> IE7 slowed to a crawl IMMEDIATELY after installation of SP3. VERY long
> waits for pages to load while IE babbles that it is "waiting" on this,
> that, and the other thing (including, on occassion waiting for "about
> blank"). Right clicking to open a link in a new tab leaves the
> selection drop-down on screen for 10-15 seconds and tabs that should
> take no more than 1-2 seconds to load take more than a minute while
> the current tab is effectively frozen and IE7 staggers in circles like
> a poisoned calf. Indicated CPU usage rises to 70%
> when there are several "stuck" tabs slowly loading over the course of
> minutes (not seconds)

First up, did you test in No Add-ons mode? If it's fast with no add-ons,
then that suggests an add-on is causing problems - disable all of them and
enable one at a time and test, until you find which one it is.

Do you have the Automatic Phishing Filter in IE enabled? I found this slowed
IE down horrendously, as it checks every single request against an online
database of known phishing sites and if a page has a lot of elements (ie
lots of scripts, css files, images, etc) it can take a while to check them
all. I've disabled the phishing filter in IE on all my PCs and it runs very
quickly, that was probably the worst offender when it came to performance
testing here.

--
Dan

iceman6

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> iceman6 wrote on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 04:59:01 -0700:
>
> > IE7 slowed to a crawl IMMEDIATELY after installation of SP3. VERY long
> > waits for pages to load while IE babbles that it is "waiting" on this,
> > that, and the other thing (including, on occassion waiting for "about
> > blank"). Right clicking to open a link in a new tab leaves the
> > selection drop-down on screen for 10-15 seconds and tabs that should
> > take no more than 1-2 seconds to load take more than a minute while
> > the current tab is effectively frozen and IE7 staggers in circles like
> > a poisoned calf. Indicated CPU usage rises to 70%
> > when there are several "stuck" tabs slowly loading over the course of
> > minutes (not seconds)

> First up, did you test in No Add-ons mode? If it's fast with no add-ons,
> then that suggests an add-on is causing problems - disable all of them and
> enable one at a time and test, until you find which one it is.
>
> Do you have the Automatic Phishing Filter in IE enabled? I found this slowed
> IE down horrendously, as it checks every single request against an online
> database of known phishing sites and if a page has a lot of elements (ie
> lots of scripts, css files, images, etc) it can take a while to check them
> all. I've disabled the phishing filter in IE on all my PCs and it runs very
> quickly, that was probably the worst offender when it came to performance
> testing here.
>
> --
> Dan

---------------------------------------
Dan,

Thank you.

Phishing filter is NOT on, but disabling all add-ons did fix the problem.
IE7 is nice and fast with no add-ons.

Is SP3 known to kill any specific add-ons or do I REALLY need to re-enable
one by one?

Thanks again,

myron
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update
I suggest you continue to use Chrome, until you mess that up. Then try
Firefox, and keep going until you run out of browsers.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

"A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

iceman6 wrote:
> IE7 slowed to a crawl IMMEDIATELY after installation of SP3. VERY long waits
> for pages to load while IE babbles that it is "waiting" on this, that, and
> the other thing (including, on occassion waiting for "about blank"). Right
> clicking to open a link in a new tab leaves the selection drop-down on screen
> for 10-15 seconds and tabs that should take no more than 1-2 seconds to load
> take more than a minute while the current tab is effectively frozen and IE7
> staggers in circles like a poisoned calf. Indicated CPU usage rises to 70%
> when there are several "stuck" tabs slowly loading over the course of minutes
> (not seconds)
>
> The machine has a VERY clean and lean system with 1.5GB memory and 3.0 GHz
> P4. I have 7Mb/sec bandwidth that routinely tests at 6+Mb/sec so this is NOT
> a connectivity problem (except maybe for MS IE)
>
> I found a quick solution which I may use permanently ... which was to load
> Google Chrome which is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than IE EVER was before MS
> wrecked it with SP3. With Chrome, new tabs open essentially as fast as I can
> right click them, which works well with my browsing style which is to open
> 10-12 tabs from the msnbc home page and then read each tab (sort of a build
> it yourself newspaper). Incidentally, if I run both browsers simultaneously,
> IE7 CRAWLS and Chrome slows only VERY slightly so the problem is clearly
> related to IE7's relationship with something SP3 changed.
>
> Chrome is working so well that I don't consider this a serious problem at
> the moment but it ought to concern MS. I note VERY numerous similar
> complaints on a number of websites. I also note with EXTREME displeasure
> that the SP3 prevents uninstalling IE7 for a clean reinstallation, so the
> most obvious fix is impossible.
>
> I think I will just continue to use Chrome, but if anyone has suggestions I
> am willing to try to fix IE7 just as a matter of intellectual curiosity.

D.

Re: IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update
how does one " disable " the phishing filter ?
TIA ,
D.

"Daniel Crichton" <msnews@worldofspack.com> wrote in message
> iceman6 wrote on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 04:59:01 -0700:
>
>> IE7 slowed to a crawl IMMEDIATELY after installation of SP3. VERY long
>> waits for pages to load while IE babbles that it is "waiting" on this,
>> that, and the other thing (including, on occassion waiting for "about
>> blank"). Right clicking to open a link in a new tab leaves the
>> selection drop-down on screen for 10-15 seconds and tabs that should
>> take no more than 1-2 seconds to load take more than a minute while
>> the current tab is effectively frozen and IE7 staggers in circles like
>> a poisoned calf. Indicated CPU usage rises to 70%
>> when there are several "stuck" tabs slowly loading over the course of
>> minutes (not seconds)

> First up, did you test in No Add-ons mode? If it's fast with no add-ons,
> then that suggests an add-on is causing problems - disable all of them and
> enable one at a time and test, until you find which one it is.
>
> Do you have the Automatic Phishing Filter in IE enabled? I found this
> slowed IE down horrendously, as it checks every single request against an
> online database of known phishing sites and if a page has a lot of
> elements (ie lots of scripts, css files, images, etc) it can take a while
> to check them all. I've disabled the phishing filter in IE on all my PCs
> and it runs very quickly, that was probably the worst offender when it
> came to performance testing here.
>
> --
> Dan

iceman6

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> I suggest you continue to use Chrome, until you mess that up. Then try
> Firefox, and keep going until you run out of browsers.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

Leonard,

Actually I like having an all MS machine and will use ie7 if it can be made
to work, although chrome is nice and light.

As to whether I messed it up, the add-ons are a pretty usual set...several
MS extensions, quicktime, java, google toolbar. The only "unique" add-on is
from SB S&D (which was disabled during SP3 installation).

So, my question remains, is SP3 known for killing one or more common
extensions? That SP3 install caused (or uncovered ??) the problem is NOT in
question. IE was nice and light immediately before the install and was
unuseable immediately after the reboot.
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update
SP 3 is not known for 'killing' any IE 7 browser extension.
---

iceman6 wrote:

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> I suggest you continue to use Chrome, until you mess that up. Then try
>> Firefox, and keep going until you run out of browsers.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

> Leonard,
>
> Actually I like having an all MS machine and will use ie7 if it can be made
> to work, although chrome is nice and light.
>
> As to whether I messed it up, the add-ons are a pretty usual set...several
> MS extensions, quicktime, java, google toolbar. The only "unique" add-on is
> from SB S&D (which was disabled during SP3 installation).
>
> So, my question remains, is SP3 known for killing one or more common
> extensions? That SP3 install caused (or uncovered ??) the problem is NOT in
> question. IE was nice and light immediately before the install and was
> unuseable immediately after the reboot.

Daniel Crichton

Re: IE7 VERY slow after xp-sp3 update
To turn it on or off, go to the Tools menu, choose Phishing Filter, and it
is has an item saying "Turn Off Automatic Website Checking ..." then click
that and you'll get a dialog come up asking if you want to turn it on or
off. If you have "Turn On ..." on the menu then it's already turned off.

To "Disable" it, go to the advanced options for IE and scroll right down to
the bottom, under Phishing Filter there is a "Disable Phishing Filter"
option, select that and press OK. You can get to these options from the
Phishing Filter Settings menu option using Tools > Phishing Filter as above,
or by going to Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab and scroll to the
bottom (you can also set Phishing Filter to on or off the same way).

Dan

iceman6 wrote on Fri, 26 Sep 2008 06:27:01 -0700:

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:

>> I suggest you continue to use Chrome, until you mess that up. Then
>> try
>> Firefox, and keep going until you run out of browsers.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est

>> "A Day in the Life of a Web 2.0 Hacker" - PC Magazine

> Leonard,

> Actually I like having an all MS machine and will use ie7 if it can be
> made to work, although chrome is nice and light.

> As to whether I messed it up, the add-ons are a pretty usual
> set...several
> MS extensions, quicktime, java, google toolbar. The only "unique"
> add-on is from SB S&D (which was disabled during SP3 installation).

> So, my question remains, is SP3 known for killing one or more common
> extensions? That SP3 install caused (or uncovered ??) the problem is
> NOT in question. IE was nice and light immediately before the install
> and was unuseable immediately after the reboot.

Try disabling Google Toolbar and leaving the rest enabled. Does that help?
I've had numerous performance issues with Google Toolbar with SP2, you might
have been lucky with it.

--
Dan

D.