Google high-jacking browser

Charlie Mike

Google high-jacking browser
Is there a way to prevent "Google Search" from high-jacking my IE browser?
Many time lately when I use my favorites shortcuts, if the page doesn't open
up fast enough to suite "Google Search", the google search page comes up
telling me that it can't find the site I was looking for. Then, there is a
big blue "G" in the address bar and the back arrow at the top of the page
longer works properly and I have to close my internet connection and restart
from scratch.
Does anybody else ever have this problem?

Thanks, Bill
VanguardLH

Re: Google high-jacking browser
Charlie Mike wrote:

> Is there a way to prevent "Google Search" from high-jacking my IE browser?
> Many time lately when I use my favorites shortcuts, if the page doesn't open
> up fast enough to suite "Google Search", the google search page comes up
> telling me that it can't find the site I was looking for. Then, there is a
> big blue "G" in the address bar and the back arrow at the top of the page
> longer works properly and I have to close my internet connection and restart
> from scratch.
> Does anybody else ever have this problem?
>
> Thanks, Bill

"Google Search". Well, would that be:
- The search web page (http://www.google.com)?
- Their toolbar installed in IE?
- Google Desktop?

For the shortcuts that you save, are they redirection links. Look at
the properties for those shortcuts. Do the link go directly to the
target site? Or does it go to a Google domain which specifies the
target domain as a parameter?
Don Varnau

Re: Google high-jacking browser
Hi,
Which version of Windows?
Which version of Internet Explorer?
Which version of the Google Toolbar?

If using version 5 of the Google Toolbar, go to options (wrench icon) then
Options and uncheck "Provide suggestions for navigation errors."

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Charlie Mike" <Charlie Mike[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to prevent "Google Search" from high-jacking my IE browser?
> Many time lately when I use my favorites shortcuts, if the page doesn't

open
> up fast enough to suite "Google Search", the google search page comes up
> telling me that it can't find the site I was looking for. Then, there is

> big blue "G" in the address bar and the back arrow at the top of the page
> longer works properly and I have to close my internet connection and

restart
> from scratch.
> Does anybody else ever have this problem?
>
> Thanks, Bill

Charlie Mike

Re: Google high-jacking browser
Thanks for reading my post and replying.
1. In answer to the first reply, I always save website shortcuts into my
favorites directly from the sites home pages and never from a search link.

2. I use IE 7 and am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I uninstalled the
Google tool bar from my system when I first started having problems and was
unable to get my ATT home page back for some reason. Removing it didn't
entirely solve the problem but, it did slow it down a lot. Apparently Google
came with my system as I don't recall downloading it directly. I tried to
find a Google tech support site but, google has no such thing that I can
locate anyway. Is there a way to get rid of Google from my computer entirely
and use Yahoo or other search engines instead?

Thanks again, (sorry to be a pest)
Bill

Charlie Mike wrote:

> 1. In answer to the first reply, I always save website shortcuts into my
> favorites directly from the sites home pages and never from a search link.
>
> 2. I use IE 7 and am running Windows Vista Home Premium. I uninstalled the
> Google tool bar from my system when I first started having problems and was
> unable to get my ATT home page back for some reason. Removing it didn't
> entirely solve the problem but, it did slow it down a lot. Apparently Google
> came with my system as I don't recall downloading it directly. I tried to
> find a Google tech support site but, google has no such thing that I can
> locate anyway. Is there a way to get rid of Google from my computer entirely
> and use Yahoo or other search engines instead?

Internet Options -> Advanced -> Reset button