Type URL without ".com"

Paul

Type URL without ".com"
I recently reinstalled windows, and a feature that I used to have was lost.
In the past, if I typed in a domain name, like "microsoft" in IE 7's url, IE
would take a stab at it with the .com, and it would navigate to the site for
me. Now when I type "microsoft", it brings me to a search page. Does anyone
happen to know where the option would be to do that? Is it possibly an
option in an add in, like google toolbar?

Thanks,

-Paul
VanguardLH

Re: Type URL without ".com"
Paul wrote:

> I recently reinstalled windows, and a feature that I used to have was lost.
> In the past, if I typed in a domain name, like "microsoft" in IE 7's url, IE
> would take a stab at it with the .com, and it would navigate to the site for
> me. Now when I type "microsoft", it brings me to a search page. Does anyone
> happen to know where the option would be to do that? Is it possibly an
> option in an add in, like google toolbar?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Paul

You installed something before that would try to search for a web site
with the given string before showing search results. I believe the
Google Toolbar does that for some option called "Search by name" or
maybe it was called something else. I found it infuriating when I used
that toolbar when I did a search because it would go to a web site
instead of showing it in a list of search results.
VanguardLH

Re: Type URL without ".com"
VanguardLH wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
>> I recently reinstalled windows, and a feature that I used to have was lost.
>> In the past, if I typed in a domain name, like "microsoft" in IE 7's url, IE
>> would take a stab at it with the .com, and it would navigate to the site for
>> me. Now when I type "microsoft", it brings me to a search page. Does anyone
>> happen to know where the option would be to do that? Is it possibly an
>> option in an add in, like google toolbar?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> -Paul

> You installed something before that would try to search for a web site
> with the given string before showing search results. I believe the
> Google Toolbar does that for some option called "Search by name" or
> maybe it was called something else. I found it infuriating when I used
> that toolbar when I did a search because it would go to a web site
> instead of showing it in a list of search results.

Found it:

http://toolbar.google.com/T5/intl/en/features.html

It's called "Browse by Name".

Re: Type URL without ".com"
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
posting to this newsgroup, please.

What led you to reinstall Windows and how did you do it (i.e., a Repair
Install; format & reinstall)? Is the machine fully patched at Windows
Update? What anti-virus application is installed? What firewall are you
using?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Paul wrote:
> I recently reinstalled windows, and a feature that I used to have was
> lost.
> In the past, if I typed in a domain name, like "microsoft" in IE 7's url,
> IE
> would take a stab at it with the .com, and it would navigate to the site
> for
> me. Now when I type "microsoft", it brings me to a search page. Does
> anyone happen to know where the option would be to do that? Is it
> possibly
> an option in an add in, like google toolbar?

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Type URL without ".com"
>I recently reinstalled windows, and a feature that I used to have was lost.
> In the past, if I typed in a domain name, like "microsoft" in IE 7's url,
> IE
> would take a stab at it with the .com, and it would navigate to the site
> for
> me. Now when I type "microsoft", it brings me to a search page. Does
> anyone
> happen to know where the option would be to do that? Is it possibly an
> option in an add in, like google toolbar?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Paul

After typing
microsoft