IE7 Default Search Engine From Address Bar

Steve T

IE7 Default Search Engine From Address Bar
While troubleshooting a different issue, I cleared temp internet files,
history and cookies. Now I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, I can
no longer search from the address bar. I have to use the little search
window next to the address bar. When I try from the address bar, I get the
screen that says The Address is Invalid. It is automatically putting http://
in front of the search word(s). I am only pressing enter. I am not doing
shift enter. What did I do and how do I get this fuctionality back?

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
IE 7

Thanks,

Steve
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 Default Search Engine From Address Bar
"Steve T" <SteveT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> While troubleshooting a different issue, I cleared temp internet files,
> history and cookies. Now I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, I can
> no longer search from the address bar. I have to use the little search
> window next to the address bar.

> When I try from the address bar,

Why are you doing that? Why not use the Search bar? E.g. press Ctrl-e

In any case are you signalling your search by starting with question mark space (? )
(or any of the other equivalent so-called "Address bar shortcuts"--go, find--
documented in the F1 Help--they actually work--who knew?)

> I get the
> screen that says The Address is Invalid. It is automatically putting http://
> in front of the search word(s). I am only pressing enter. I am not doing
> shift enter. What did I do and how do I get this fuctionality back?

Do you in fact have Search from the Address bar enabled?
(Hint: via Options, Advanced tab, Search from the Address bar section)

BTW it's probably Ctrl-Enter that you are thinking of as the special Enter
which creates www URLs from just domain names.

> Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
> IE 7
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

ju.c

Re: IE7 Default Search Engine From Address Bar
SEARCH FROM THE ADDRESS BAR

1. In IE, open 'Tools->Internet Options'.

2. Select the Advanced tab and scroll down to
"Search from the Address Bar" then select
"Just display the results in the main window"

3. Click Apply, OK.

4. To search without using special key
combinations just type a question mark at the
beginning, like this: ? pizza

ju.c