IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on XP SP

Prathap

IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on XP SP
Hello,

I have issues with IE7 using on XP SP3. Everything works fine except for
remember passwords for MSN email/hotmail/verizon(which I tried). Once UN/PW
is entered for these logins it works fine till computer is restarted, has to
enter UN/PW everytime windows is restarted or user is logged off.

I tried removing SP3 to repair IE7 as SP3 was updated after installing IE7.
the moment SP3 is removed IE7 remembers Un/PW with SP2. It also works fine
with IE6 and SP3, but the only problem is while working with IE7 on SP3.

Anyone who has answer please respond.

Re: IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on XP SP
Excellent troubleshooting! Congratulations.

You've determined that your install of WinXP SP3 was causing the behavior
somehow. Before reinstalling WinXP SP3 again, see this helpful blog entry
of my colleague Harry Waldron:

If the behavior returns after reinstalling WinXP SP3:

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Prathap wrote:
> I have issues with IE7 using on XP SP3. Everything works fine except for
> remember passwords for MSN email/hotmail/verizon(which I tried). Once
> UN/PW
> is entered for these logins it works fine till computer is restarted, has
> enter UN/PW everytime windows is restarted or user is logged off.
>
> I tried removing SP3 to repair IE7 as SP3 was updated after installing
> IE7.
> the moment SP3 is removed IE7 remembers Un/PW with SP2. It also works fine
> with IE6 and SP3, but the only problem is while working with IE7 on SP3.
>
> Anyone who has answer please respond.

Prathap

Re: IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on X
I have gone through the blog written by 'Jane Maliouta' in her IE
prerequisites and that helped me in resolving a different issue but not the
one am facing now.
I did uninstall SP3, IE7 and then installed sp3 and IE7.
As I told the issue occurs only with IE7 either u install it after sp3 or
before.
would like to get solution without doing OS reinstall.

Prathap.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Excellent troubleshooting! Congratulations.
>
> You've determined that your install of WinXP SP3 was causing the behavior
> somehow. Before reinstalling WinXP SP3 again, see this helpful blog entry
> of my colleague Harry Waldron:
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>
> If the behavior returns after reinstalling WinXP SP3:

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select "Windows
> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Prathap wrote:
> > I have issues with IE7 using on XP SP3. Everything works fine except for
> > remember passwords for MSN email/hotmail/verizon(which I tried). Once
> > UN/PW
> > is entered for these logins it works fine till computer is restarted, has
> > enter UN/PW everytime windows is restarted or user is logged off.
> >
> > I tried removing SP3 to repair IE7 as SP3 was updated after installing
> > IE7.
> > the moment SP3 is removed IE7 remembers Un/PW with SP2. It also works fine
> > with IE6 and SP3, but the only problem is while working with IE7 on SP3.
> >
> > Anyone who has answer please respond.

Re: IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on X
Assuming the machine is currently running IE6 in WinXP SP2:

1. Reinstall WinXP SP3 *exactly* per

If the behavior occurs, do not install IE7 yet, but open a free WinXP SP3
support incident. See my previous reply.

2. If the behavior does not occur after installing WinXP SP3, follow these
installation tips *to the letter* when installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Alternately, use this Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

Additional reference:

IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
~PA Bear

Prathap wrote:
> I have gone through the blog written by 'Jane Maliouta' in her IE
> prerequisites and that helped me in resolving a different issue but not
> the
> one am facing now.
> I did uninstall SP3, IE7 and then installed sp3 and IE7.
> As I told the issue occurs only with IE7 either u install it after sp3 or
> before.
> would like to get solution without doing OS reinstall.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Excellent troubleshooting! Congratulations.
>>
>> You've determined that your install of WinXP SP3 was causing the behavior
>> somehow. Before reinstalling WinXP SP3 again, see this helpful blog
>> entry
>> of my colleague Harry Waldron:
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
>>
>> If the behavior returns after reinstalling WinXP SP3:
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
>> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>> "Windows
>> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Prathap wrote:
>>> I have issues with IE7 using on XP SP3. Everything works fine except for
>>> remember passwords for MSN email/hotmail/verizon(which I tried). Once
>>> UN/PW
>>> is entered for these logins it works fine till computer is restarted,
>>> has
>>> enter UN/PW everytime windows is restarted or user is logged off.
>>>
>>> I tried removing SP3 to repair IE7 as SP3 was updated after installing
>>> IE7.
>>> the moment SP3 is removed IE7 remembers Un/PW with SP2. It also works
>>> fine
>>> with IE6 and SP3, but the only problem is while working with IE7 on SP3.
>>>
>>> Anyone who has answer please respond.

Prathap

Re: IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on X
Thanks for your help, I tried everything possible and also as mentioned
downloaded IE7 from microsoft website and also installed all possible updates
available for SP3 before installing IE7.
At this stage am tired trying all these repeated steps and is using IE6 on
SP3 or firefox which is working fine for me.

Prathap.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Assuming the machine is currently running IE6 in WinXP SP2:
>
> 1. Reinstall WinXP SP3 *exactly* per
>
> If the behavior occurs, do not install IE7 yet, but open a free WinXP SP3
> support incident. See my previous reply.
>
> 2. If the behavior does not occur after installing WinXP SP3, follow these
> installation tips *to the letter* when installing IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
> STOP!
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
> (ignore any references to Vista)
>
> And I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
>
> Alternately, use this Direct Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
>
> Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
>
> Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
> installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
> Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
> to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
>
> Additional reference:
>
> IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Prathap wrote:
> > I have gone through the blog written by 'Jane Maliouta' in her IE
> > prerequisites and that helped me in resolving a different issue but not
> > the
> > one am facing now.
> > I did uninstall SP3, IE7 and then installed sp3 and IE7.
> > As I told the issue occurs only with IE7 either u install it after sp3 or
> > before.
> > would like to get solution without doing OS reinstall.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Excellent troubleshooting! Congratulations.
> >>
> >> You've determined that your install of WinXP SP3 was causing the behavior
> >> somehow. Before reinstalling WinXP SP3 again, see this helpful blog
> >> entry
> >> of my colleague Harry Waldron:
> >>
> >> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> >> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >>
> >> If the behavior returns after reinstalling WinXP SP3:
> >>
> >> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
> >> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat and
> >> e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada. Go to
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
> >> "Windows
> >> XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Prathap

Re: IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on X
I am still using IE6 with XP SP3 which is working fine without any trouble so
far. I hope IE8 would work with SP3 to remember passwords.
Is it required to have IE7 before installing IE8??? If anyone know please
reply.

"Prathap" wrote:

> Thanks for your help, I tried everything possible and also as mentioned
> downloaded IE7 from microsoft website and also installed all possible updates
> available for SP3 before installing IE7.
> At this stage am tired trying all these repeated steps and is using IE6 on
> SP3 or firefox which is working fine for me.
>
> Prathap.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Assuming the machine is currently running IE6 in WinXP SP2:
> >
> > 1. Reinstall WinXP SP3 *exactly* per
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...tallation.aspx
> >
> > If the behavior occurs, do not install IE7 yet, but open a free WinXP SP3
> > support incident. See my previous reply.
> >
> > 2. If the behavior does not occur after installing WinXP SP3, follow these
> > installation tips *to the letter* when installing IE7:
> >
> > Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
> > STOP!
> > http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
> > (ignore any references to Vista)
> >
> > And I strongly recommend using
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> > installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update.
> >
> > Alternately, use this Direct Download link:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-081805b2f90b
> >
> > Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.
> >
> > Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
> > installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
> > Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
> > to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
> >
> > Additional reference:
> >
> > IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
> > http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...lications.aspx
> > --
> > ~PA Bear
> >
> > Prathap wrote:
> > > I have gone through the blog written by 'Jane Maliouta' in her IE
> > > prerequisites and that helped me in resolving a different issue but not
> > > the
> > > one am facing now.
> > > I did uninstall SP3, IE7 and then installed sp3 and IE7.
> > > As I told the issue occurs only with IE7 either u install it after sp3 or
> > > before.
> > > would like to get solution without doing OS reinstall.

ju.c

Re: IE7 do not remember usernames and passwords after restart on X
Check that this is correct:

SAVE SETTINGS ON EXIT

Change the "NoSaveSettings" value data to "00000000":

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000000

ju.c